Global Warming, One More Time With Humour

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
john_kidder said:
West - meetings last night, couldn't get to the TV.

But this discussion about buildings is very interesting as well. I'm trying to evaluate options for our place in Ashcroft - not comparable to Texas, but we do get more sun that anywhere else in Canada (total precip about 4-5 inches/yr, sagebrush, cactus, rattlesnakes, kind of like the Big Bend country), plus we have a river running by. Gotta get it off the grid.

Solar hot water's a natural, ?do we pipe it through the floor for radiant heat/coooling?, solar electricity still not cost-effective for lighting/general use, but how about a micro-hydro turbine in the river?, at least use the flow of the river to power the irrigation pumps, etc. Recycyle grey water in the houses?

And, just presuming for the moment that there may be some merit to a little risk aversion so one might plan for warming whether onr not it's actually occurring, it seems likely that our rivers will go to peak flows earlier in spring and get drier earlier in autumn. How do we plan for reduced water availability then - we have no ground water to speak of here in the desert, it's gotta come from the river.

Fun, really. Little need for tornado doors, anyway.

Hey John - you don't use those high carbon footprint electric guitars do you :?: Stick to good ole' muscle power acoustic guitars and save the planet :mrgreen:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes John, they are a design firm. You can buy a set of plans from them....any that you see on their site. Additionally, they have several variations of any of the designs you see. We couldn't find exactly what we wanted there, so we didn't purchase a plan from them, but modified what you see in the "Tranquility" home a good bit from any variation they offered. The basic plan and some of the design features are the same. We've moved rooms around, changed the exterior, etc., and hired our own designer to do the actual drawings.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a plan from Garrell though. We've been in a couple of homes built off of their drawings.....very nice. They do a good job and are a first rate outfit.

http://www.garrellassociates.com/91.html

West

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Article indicated $400 million estimated to relocate 391 folks; makes it $1 million per folk. Must be some mighty fine ice they're losing ... maybe it's $10K for each patch of ice and the rest for pain, suffering, and new internet connections.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
Get ready; here come the lawsuits...

I used an aerosol paint several years ago, am I libel or can I sue the manufacturer?

Love the avatar Scratch. :wink:

Scratch.jpg

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score