Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reference Post: Guild Amplifiers

Early 50's Masteramp. Speaker code indicates a RCA 12" speaker, 49th week of 1953.

Last edited by Default; 10-27-2013 at 04:25 PM.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

I was going to post pictures of some old ads I think I have lying around but you guys and gals beat me to it!

Any information is good information! I just spoke to Aaron Newman, (who designed the Thunder series) on the phone and had an interesting and productive conversation on the phone! Interesting stuff about Guild amps and the industry in general.

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."

Johnnie, we soooo miss you!

' Strang
    GUILD:1976 F-112
    2001 F-212XL
    1978 G-312
    1990 JF-65 12
    1990 F-512
    TAYLOR: 2002 614 LTD
    2003 600 SPECce 12
    2004 855ce
    2004 855ce all koa
    5 Gibsons, a Goya and a Martin

I tell you what! John and I could have had a three hour conversation just over what Aaron Newman told me. For one thing, The 66J and 99J's were almost direct copies of Ampegs because Ralph Sanders (the amp person in the fifties) was a technician, not an engineer. He didn't have the skills to design an amp, therefore, he cloned them. Aaron said that Ampeg had no engineer designing their amps either, which is probably why they sounded so good!
    Since Aaron was from the hifi world (he codesigned the Lafayette KT600 and KT550), it took him some time to get used to designing guitar amps. Compounding this was Al Dronge was an old-school jazz guitarist - no treble, all midrange (muddy, according to Aaron), so they were trying to get an amp that would sound like a Fender, while the amps they were selling were mostly for the jazz market.

1956 Guild Masteramp. 3x12AX7s, 2x6L6s and a 5U4GB. Power transformer bolted to the bottom of the cabinet, connected by an umbilical to the top chassis. 35 watts or so.

pm sent

Hello out there, Does anyone know the years of production on the 40-T? I have a split amp version, tv front
    splatter grill cloth ...

Missed your post! Pics would be good, followed by manufacturers codes on the components.

Sorry for responding late, but that's fascinating. So Aaron's hi-fi background is why the Thunder series uses the 6GW8 and run so clean? I still warm up the tubes on mine and listen to her shine.