Starfire pickup height issue

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought it might be better to start a new thread. I've put gilded's questions in here (unfortunately my answers are decimal and not 16ths, but I'm going to leave them this way for now):

A) What is the measurement of your action at the 12th fret, measuring from the bottom of the E and G strings to the top of the fret?

E - .148"
G - .088"

B) What is the measurement between the bottom of your E string and the top of the magnet on the low E sting
with:
1) the string in the unfretted position? about .160"
2) the string fretted at the last fret on the body? really close! It's not right about the pickup pole, but if I move it over so it it, then it's almost touching, I'll estimate about .030".

C) What is the height measurement of your pickup spacer, at the point where it is parallel to the E string mag? This one I can't do yet.

I played it a lot last night, through a Cafe Walter headphone amp. One thing that I noticed (and it's probably not news for people that use these) is that the pickup is REALLY SENSITIVE to any differences in technique. Plucking with my fingers over the neck is drastically different than plucking between the pickup and the bridge. I would be willing to bet that it's more obvious than on my 4001, for example. But what really blew me away was that if I played a line mainly with my index finger, then used my ring finger for one note, the difference was very noticable - loud enough in fact that I thought that the string hit the magnet! But it wasn't the same sound as the string hitting the magnet. It sounded good (though different, of course) with a pick too.

I would prefer not to do anything to the pickup ring. I'm going to stick with it as it is for now. But I'm still open to suggestions regarding string height, pickup height, etc. I don't think I want to raise the action too much more, though I try raising it a little more on the E side.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
hieronymous said:
Plucking with my fingers over the neck is drastically different than plucking between the pickup and the bridge. I would be willing to bet that it's more obvious than on my 4001, for example. But what really blew me away was that if I played a line mainly with my index finger, then used my ring finger for one note, the difference was very noticable - loud enough in fact that I thought that the string hit the magnet! But it wasn't the same sound as the string hitting the magnet. It sounded good (though different, of course) with a pick too.

The Jack Casady "lesson" DVD has a few comments with examples showing how how he varies the tone based upon where he picks. He's using a his signature Epiphone but I can get the same dramatic differences with my SF I.

As for fingers, I can tell whether I plucked with my index or my middle finger just by listening to the attack. I lopped the top off my middle finger and it was reattached and I always attributed the tone difference to scar tissue and healing from the injury. Interesting that there might be something else going on.

Thanks.

gilded

Reaction score
Hi hieronymous,

I haven't gone over to my studio in a few days, but I'll be there tomorrow and I'll check my '66 SF Bass action height measurements against yours.

Just looking at the measurements though, I think the problem is your pickup spacer height. You might want to think about getting a shallower pickup spacer from Fred Hammon at DarkStar. It costs about 15 bucks (plus shipping), plus you won't have to modify the one you have, which may be a concern to you.

When you switch 'em, you don't have to modify or desolder anything. Loosen the strings, take the metal surround off, maybe lift the pickup up and turn it sideways, and presto, your spacer can come out and the new, improved shallower one can come in.

Think about it and I'll get my measurements over the weekend and get back with you.....my Starfire Bass Brother!!