Audio Guild Lyric Panaramic Magnatone Amp Amplifier

Reaction score
hello i may have some info on your audio guild amps i own a panaramic ,the titano version and a universal audio all are stereo 4 7591 powered with 4 12ax7s and one 6gh8 .i also have a schematic for this red herring as well . interesting converstation pieces to be sure for some odd reason i have stumbled on to three in the last few years two have utah 8 and 12 combinations and one has a single 12 .anyhow nice to join this forum ! Sgt Od .

RWood

Reaction score
Hello Sarge; good to hear from you.

Could you tell us which brand of 7591 your well-trained ears like to hear?

Cpl. Wood

Reaction score
well the jjs are simply out of the question .they dont even remotly sound like 7591s they match the anode and plate but are altogether different tubes .more like a beam power or tetrode as opposed to a power pentode of industrial strength ..as any 4 number designation tube is aka 5881 7189 6550 etc? the big three rca sly and ge all made versions of this tube it was rugged long lived and not cheap but lasted into rapture ,as most of the designs built around them were quite conservative ..ampeg jet ...gemini etc .this tube can take 500 plus volts and spit out 30 watts . like a mean little cousin of the el34. there are still quite a few 7591as out there more then enough to feed the amps that need them .remember also that the noval 7868 is the exact same tube without the octal base . i had a bogen that housed four of these and it was as loud as a super lead . the ampeg jet i measured was putting 360 on the plates of the 7591 ...that is low idle for that tube. cheers all ...sgt od

Dood

Reaction score
I was digging around in my storage unit this afternoon, looking for anything I might want to pull out of there before winter.
And there sits my Audio Guild amplifier, same place it's sat for a few years now.

After thinking about it for a while now, I've thought about selling my amp. It doesn't really have any sentimental value, but I'd at least like to know its in a good home with someone making good use out of it.

Is there a market for these amps? Who would buy something like this? Where would I sell this gem?

I'd hate to put it on eBay and get nothing for it. Not many people know about these great amps, even fewer go on eBay and type "Audio Guild" into the search bar.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Dood said:
... I've thought about selling my amp ... Is there a market for these amps? ... I'd hate to put it on eBay and get nothing for it....
Hi Dood; well ... you can put in on Craigslist and get nothing for it with less hassle; it's a pretty obscure brand. You can post it here in the For Sale / For Trade Forum or join the Magnatone/Valco BB ... the general subject of Audio Guilds used to come up there from time to time. Others might feel differently but I don't think there's much of a market for that amp; good luck with it. CJ

Ian

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First up I'm a HiFi guy not a Guitar amp guy, but are'nt the 7591 the same tubes used in the Fisher 500b receiver ? If so, I think I have about 8 spare ones, as mine has been refigured to run EL34's. The reason for this is that over here (and pre internet, yes I'm that old...), EL34's are readily obtainable whereas the others were like gold dust. Is a 7189 the same as an EL84 ?

Sorry for the veer...

Cheers, Ian

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
guitardude said:
... but are'nt the 7591 the same tubes used in the Fisher 500b receiver ? If so, I think I have about 8 spare ones, as mine has been refigured to run EL34's. The reason for this is that over here (and pre internet, yes I'm that old...), EL34's are readily obtainable whereas the others were like gold dust. Is a 7189 the same as an EL84 ?
Hi Ian; the Guild Thunderbird (v1) and Guild Mavericks run 7591s as do many mid-60s Ampegs. You might want to start another thread about the 7591s ... probably aren't that many people still following this thread. No, the 7189s are not the same as EL84s but 6BQ5s are the same as EL84s. The 7189 is no longer in production ... was most commonly seen in Magnatones. J

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Ian: my error on the 7189A/EL84 question :oops: . See pinouts below and default's post here that discussing subbing EL84s for 7189s ... note remarks about voltages.

7189andEL84.jpg

Reaction score
hey guys: I just got a new amp. I was standing in a local music store the other day talking to a friend guitar tech and in a back room I spied an old amp with the Titano logo on the front. Already knowing more or less what it was (a Magnatone clone) I walked in and took a look. A tag on it read "blown spkr and other problems. please fix" with a name and ph #. when I looked at the date on the tag I saw it had been sitting for a year and a half !! It had the owners name and number on it so I just wrote them down and asked my friend about it. He said a guy that works there part time owned it and he usually plays his Marshall stacks. So I went home and gave him a call. A couple of days later he called back and said yea he might sell it. So a couple of days later I met him at the store, he said he wanted about $400 for it and I pointed out with the blown spkr and other unknown problems I would give him $300 but he balked so finally we agreed on $340 and away I went ecstatic over this score as I knew it was a very rare Audio Guild Titano ..Magnatone clone from the early 60's. I went home and fired it up and it played and sounded GREAT in spite of a blown speaker. I opened it up and found a 1x12 (good) and 1x8" that was blown. I just happened to a replacement laying around and slapped it in there and buttoned it up and OH MY GAWD!!! Talk about Holy Grail tone!!
I think this sounds better than my Twilighter 260 which is a Magnatone 2x12 with the great Vibrato but the Titano has both Vib and Reverb.
The front panel looks identical to the tall Panaramic posted and I think the chassis layout looks the same as well thou I don't have the amp here now to check for sure ( running out the door for reh. house. LOL)
OK so I know there is almost no info on these amps out there but if anyone has one and can tell me more about the "DUAL CHANNEL" system on this amp and how it works I would really appreciate the help. Regardless it's fantastic Blues and Classic rock style amp with a to die for break up that just screams the Blues!!
Sorry I can't do pics right now.
peace Capt Kirk

(also posted in other Audio Guild threads)