Coffee News

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Geez, what the heck is the market value on a 1558 sq ft condo in the Sunshine state anyway. On Singer Island; variable depending on age/amenties of bldg and elevation - up top costs more but the least expensive units there are $150K, the midde-price spread mid-to-upper 6 figures I've been suffering from the delusion (I guess) real estate prices are substantially better in Fla than here in Western, Wa. Yes, big run-up 2000 - 2005 fueled in part by speculators and those w/ marginal credit. For Les Canuckies, big hit in property taxes. Mebbe not all them Canuck snowboids is poor folks. Just guessing but I get the impression that those who can afford to get away....do
Graham may be looking for a used Buick; ID'd as the signature Canucky get-away ride. cj

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Graham may be looking for a used Buick; ID'd as the signature Canucky get-away ride. cj

My retirement home, hopefully, will be on the Canuckistan Atlantic.
06b34552.jpg

Or the Saskatchewan Prairie
ef8c4085.jpg

Wherever is least hospitable. :shock:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Graham,

I had something like 2800 households in my book of business when I retired.

Vast majority of the hard assets were held by the over 60 crowd. Check out the Diesel Pusher Motor Homes on the highway & walk thru any marina anywhere, the silver haired set's driving most all the big ones.

David said it at Arlington, something like; "Isn't it grand, Doing the things we wanted to do in high school, except now with a little money."

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham said:
capnjuan said:
My retirement home, hopefully, will be on the Canuckistan Atlantic. Or the Saskatchewan Prairie. Wherever is least hospitable. :shock:
Yow ... the Saudis call the central area of their country the 'empty quarter'; might apply to Saskatcheewooskie there too .... if you insist but I'd say that grassy area looks the least habitable. At least w/ the ocean nearby, can get the fishes for dinner...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Graham, Vast majority of the hard assets were held by the over 60 crowd. Check out the Diesel Pusher Motor Homes on the highway & walk thru any marina anywhere, the silver haired set's driving most all the big ones.
Well, if you insist on the prairie, consider one of these:

combine.jpg

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
Because we users of American English also park in driveways and drive on parkways.

If anybody still cares, I know the answer to this one!

Before cars when there were stables behind the house, there would be a "driveway" that went past the house out back to the stables. Then the stables became detached garages and for convience you would park up by the house in the driveway!

Coming from New Jersey we have the world famous "Garden State Parkway". The theory was to create a roadway that would be planted with trees and flowers so that it gave the illusion of driving through a park. So hencefore, it became know as a "Parkway". Other similar roads are the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut and the Sawmill Parkway in New York.

Now the Garden State Parkway is three to six lanes so the "parklike" setting has been lost, but the Merritt is still two lanes both ways and it weaves in and out of the trees and goes up and over hills, all at about 75 mph! :shock: It can be an intimidating road to say the least! Still though, it's better then I-95!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
It can be an intimidating road to say the least! Still though, it's better then I-95!
If you ever get there Kurt; try the George Washington Parkway in northern VA across from Washington DC. Start at the Cabin John Bridge and drive south; through the trees overlooking the Potomac gorge, down to the Key Bridge passing Georgetown Univ., further past the 'monumental' views of Washington, by the airport, through Alexandria VA and then down one of the prettiest drives in the east along the lower Potomac approaching Mt Vernon. Built as a WPA project in the 1930s; decorated by LadyBird Johnson in the 60s, Feds have resisted widening; stunning views - a Parkway in the classic sense.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Jeff said:
Graham, Vast majority of the hard assets were held by the over 60 crowd. Check out the Diesel Pusher Motor Homes on the highway & walk thru any marina anywhere, the silver haired set's driving most all the big ones.
Well, if you insist on the prairie, consider one of these:

combine.jpg

Is that a Buick?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Guilds of Grot said:
If anybody still cares, I know the answer to this one!

Coming from New Jersey we have the world famous "Garden State Parkway". The theory was to create a roadway that would be planted with trees and flowers so that it gave the illusion of driving through a park. So hencefore, it became know as a "Parkway". Other similar roads are the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut and the Sawmill Parkway in New York.

Thanks. Never heard that one before. In addition to the GW Parkway there is also the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Shenendoah Valley. Still posted at 40MPH and bumper to bumper sightseers when the leaves are at peak.

Just about the only thing worse than the Merrit parkway is the stretch of I-95 that would be an alternate route. I try to avoid both if I have the option.

As much as I like to make NJ jokes ("which exit?") I have to admit that when you get away from the main roads there are still sections of the state that support the name of the Garden State.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham said:
Is that a Buick?
Well, no. It's a John Deere but for a few exta bucks, they will put Buick insignia on it. Does meet Jeff's requirement in that it runs on diesel and is a prairie schooner of sorts...

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Farmers & John Deere aye,

"Think Ethanol" "Corn Is King"

Care to speculate on recent market price of, say mebbe a 12,000 acre wheat farm .

Western Hills – Palouse, Washington. June, 2007

western-hills-thumb.jpg

palouse-1-853-thumb.jpg

farm468-thumb.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Farmers & John Deere aye, "Think Ethanol" "Corn Is King"
Care to speculate on recent market price of, say mebbe a 12,000 acre wheat farm . Western Hills – Palouse, Washington. June, 2007
No, no guess what a wheat / corn / ethanol farm goes for other than to say that the closer we get to: "Eat it or burn it", the more it will be worth. Looks like that area could use a condominium or two; how far to the nearest grocery store? Schools nearby?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
My gosh at the incredible links style golf courses you could put in that place. Beautiful Jeff.

West

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Around here, either of those last 2 would be its Certain destiny! :roll:

It can be an intimidating road to say the least! Still though, it's better then I-95!

Almost anything would be, wouldn't it? :wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
MandoSquirrel said:
Around here, either of those last 2 would be its Certain destiny! :roll:
You be meaning golf course and condos? Yes indeedy!! S'what we do goodest here in LandO'Gators...will that be one bedroom or two? :lol: :lol:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: Are there a couple of golf courses in Florida Cappy? Just joshin, man there are some nice ones there.

West

john_kidder

Reaction score
Now, ethanol. There's a very large box of crap that reinforces, unfortunately, the folks who believe that climate change is some sort of jerk job like Y2K.

To make a gallon of ethanol takes more energy (fuel, fertilizer, pesticides, etc,.) than the gallon of ethanol can contain. Then, because it burns at a lower temperature and has lower conversion efficiency, it takes more gallons of ethanol to do the same work as the equivalent gallons of gasoline. It's one more crock of unbelievably illogical horsepucks designed to maintain the world-famous subsidies to corn growers in the US. Not only does it do absolutely nothing about climate change or net CO2 emissions, it will actually draw down available food supplies worldwide just when real agricultural land in (for example) Viet Nam, Egypt and Bangladesh goes under the water.

Just tell them to stuff it, you folks who vote down there.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
...ethanol. There's a very large box of crap............To make a gallon of ethanol takes more energy .... than the gallon of ethanol can contain...It's one more crock of unbelievably illogical horsepucks designed to maintain the world-famous subsidies to corn growers in the US.

Just tell them to stuff it, you folks who vote down there.

More'n a few wheat farmers collected a fair living to grow no wheat.

Hillary & the rest of em been campaigning for Pres now for months, many months, freaking election isn't for another year, Tis an ill omen when investment counselors start talking about taking your money out of dollar based securitities.

Who the Hell is watching the store while these clowns perform for the media. The 2nd senator from NY state must be working lots of overtime.

I sincerely hope the real candidates are too busy to waste time on this nonsense & will start checking in soon..

Positive note: Good report on the Starfire today, took her in for a checkup. Brady says she's a good one, locate a bridge to compensate an unwound G, a tweak or two & it's all good..

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
:lol: Are there a couple of golf courses in Florida Cappy? Just joshin, man there are some nice ones there. West
My friend; they are all over the place - greater Palm Beach County has over 170 golf courses .... most private; not that many daily fee courses like Myrtle Beach SC. Some very expense; before it opened, a membership at Trump's course was $125,000 initiation plus the annual...sold out in a few months. Greens fees at premium daily-fee courses; PGA, the now-private Emerald Dunes, Polo Trace, ands several others, in-season, $150 or so. The county does have a number of municipal courses the most famous of which is West Palm Beach which, until the mid-90s, had been on Golf Digest's list of Top 100 public courses for a long time. Yup; we got courses ... but weez runnin' out of water .... :( moratorium on new ones ... til whenever. cj