Amazing Journey, Story of the Who

dklsplace

Reaction score
Just finished watching this on VH1. All I can say is Wow! Appropriately titled.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I watched up to Who's Next, then Momma took over the remote.

Think of all those guitars they smashed...wow.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I gotta see that! "Young Man Blues" from Live at Leeds still destroys me as much as it did when I first heard it years ago.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Just curious if any other Pete fans have Psychoderelict & what you think of it? I love it, & found it interesting when they noted the "theme" that he was working on back in the early '70's that no one else understood. Great how the story line blends with reality. 8)

BluesDan

Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Just curious if any other Pete fans have Psychoderelict & what you think of it? I love it, & found it interesting when they noted the "theme" that he was working on back in the early '70's that no one else understood. Great how the story line blends with reality. 8)

As a huge Who fan and Pete fan, I gotta admit, somehow Psychoderelict never made its way into the CD library and your mention of it has put me on a mission to rectify the situation. My first Who show was in 79 at Madison Square Garden, I was 15 and took the train into the city with a bunch of friends. Saw them in 82 at Shea Stadium with the Clash and most recently at the Nikon Theatre at Jones Beach here on Long Island. It's funny, but the last concert at the beach they did alot of stuff from Pete's "Lifehouse Chronicles", I absolutely loved the "new stuff" but the first few rows of fans were chiding Pete to do the "old classics" and Pete being Pete basically told them, and the entire audience, to Fu%$ OFF!!!!! in the funny kinda way that Pete can. Great stuff. Just wish the tix werent 300 bucks a pop!!!!

Frosty

Reaction score
I caught a bit of these on the tube last week, I think it was.

I have occasionally asserted that "Won't Get Fooled Again" is among the finest pieces of Western music ever created. It's up there with some "serious" music and the jazz of Sonny Rollins and Max Roach. I have eclectic tastes.

As an aside, and as a father of three boys, I can't help but wonder what the music world would have been like if ADHD were diagnosed so frequently back then as it is today. Dare to say it - if young master Townsend or Moon were on *that* kind of medication we might never have had The Who. ;)

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"Who's Next" and "Live At Leeds" should be taught at school !!

Gotta agree about "Wont Get Fooled Again", but "Behind Blue Eyes" just has something I can't explain. (Wasn't that clever ?)

When my fist clenches, crack it open; before I use it and lose my cool,
When I smile, tell me some bad news; before I laugh and act like a fool.

YEAH !!

And I'm darned sure that Eddie Cochran would have thoroughly approved of "Summertime Blues".

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jp said:
I gotta see that! "Young Man Blues" from Live at Leeds still destroys me as much as it did when I first heard it years ago.

Amazing, but true; I've never heard anything of Mose Allison's !

Mind you, I'll bet the original Young Man Blues bears little resemblance to that of the Who's !

Note to self; "Go Mose-hunting this weekend".

BluesDan

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Note to self; "Go Mose-hunting this weekend".

Like they say in New Hampshire: "Brake for Mose, It Could Save Your Life" :wink: If your research turns up anything good, let me know.

Been listenin' to Pete live at The House of Blues lately, great CD, Eddie Vedder chimes in on vocals........great stuff. 8)

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Finally, this has turned up in Newsyland, and I've just finished viewing Disc 1.

And I'm feeling indescribably happy.... wow!!

The greatest rock band EVER and a happy ending to make the eyes misty.

You know, I watch stuff like this, and I'm actually thrilled to be old........ and I feel overwhelmingly smug, knowing I've been gifted with something truly special. I KNOW about the Who, and the Kinks, and the '60s scene. And I KNOW about the founding fathers of the music. I KNOW about the Blues, and the priceless gift to me that black America made. And I often ache for the simpler, less dangerous, and "innocent" time of my teens.

"A time it was, and what a time it was.
A time of innocence; a time of confidences.
Long ago it must be, I have a photograph.
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you".

Paul Simon.

Any other soppy old gits out there ?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
"Everybody's just waiting to hear from the one
Who can give them the answers
And lead them back to that place in the warmth of the sun
Where sweet childhood still dances..." For Everyman, Jackson Brown

Includes me ...

John