Amazing Journey, Story of the Who

Mingus

Reaction score
MAN oh MAN. . .

the who is hands down my favorite band EVER. They really are. Pete's solo stuff is all great in my book. . .as is John's. Keith's weird little projects were neat and Roger's solo stuff was acceptable.

At the risk of being stoned to death, I really have to say that their late '90s tours were some of the best stuff ever. I really think they were at the height of their games. When Kenny Jones took over after Keith Moon died, he really didn't fit the group. You can hear it in their last album. Great drummer though (get the small faces records. . .he's GREAT on those), but he really didn't fit the part. I saw them at MSG in '89 on their "reunion tour" and they were OK. . .but way too "produced."

Then in the mid '90s they were doing the Quadrophenia thing (AWESOME) with pete on acoustic and his BROTHER on electric (awesome). By this time they had grabbed Zack Starkey (Ringo Star's son) and he was amazing. He really sounds like the natural progression of Keith Moon. Not the same. . .not better. . .just (in my mind) what Keith would sound like 20 years later. By the time they stripped out the horn section and Pete got back on electric, they were the best they ever were. And then John Entwistle died. . .

. . .I really wanted to like Pino Paladino. He's a great bass player. . .great on clapton stuff. . .great on pete's solo stuff. . .great on the john mayer trio album. . .But he wasn't for the Who. Sure, nobody's John Entwistle. . .but he doesn't even play the same style. So that's when I started to get bummed.

Anyhow. . .still the best rock band ever. . .HANDS DOWN.

-James

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
James; you'll love this DVD.

I was amazed at the late 90's Who that you reference above.......they sound superb !

And dedicated Who fans will adore the ending to Disc 1.

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Glad to see so many fans here. Live at Leeds is a top 2 or 3 live album of all-time for me.
Just incredible. Isle of Wight ain't so bad either. Love their BBC Sessions disc too. Pete was
wild young punk in a rock 'n' roll world. And he had tone for days... P90's galore.

Gotta catch this show!

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fungusyoung said:
Glad to see so many fans here. Live at Leeds is a top 2 or 3 live album of all-time for me.
Just incredible. Isle of Wight ain't so bad either. Love their BBC Sessions disc too. Pete was
wild young punk in a rock 'n' roll world. And he had tone for days... P90's galore.

Gotta catch this show!

Played the BBC Sessions disc last weekend. Everybody should have Jeff Stein's "The Kids Are Alright" video. Fabulous performance of "Wont Get Fooled Again" at Shepperton Studios............ Moony's last performance with the band.
Opens with the infamous Smothers Brothers scenes.

dklsplace

Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Just curious if any other Pete fans have Psychoderelict & what you think of it? I love it, & found it interesting when they noted the "theme" that he was working on back in the early '70's that no one else understood.

Anyone run out & buy this one yet?

Mingus

Reaction score
dklsplace said:
dklsplace said:
Just curious if any other Pete fans have Psychoderelict & what you think of it? I love it, & found it interesting when they noted the "theme" that he was working on back in the early '70's that no one else understood.

Anyone run out & buy this one yet?

I ran out and bought it like 15 years ago when it came out! That was the height of my who fanaticism!

-J