Ich möcht' so gern Dave Dudley hör'n

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Re: Ich möcht' so gern Dave Dudley hör'n

Dankt Standardwert, ich habe gehabt eine kleine Schwierigkeit mit der Lyrik aber habe die Musik genossen. cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

JerryR said:
:shock: :? :?:
Jeez Jerry; so very Anglais of you not to recognize the Duetchie thangie.... ya know, if you had a 21-footer (boat) and headed generally SE from anywhere on the southern UK coast, you'd bang into a big lump of land generically referred to as YerUp where there are many peoples with many tongues.... roughly translated; 'nice enough music but couldn't understand the lyrics..' I'll send you a link to a Free Translator....cj

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

capnjuan said:
Dankt Standardwert, ich habe gehabt eine kleine Schwierigkeit mit der Lyrik aber habe die Musik genossen. cj

Trouble with the lyrics, What trouble?? It's country music correct,
lyrics can't be all that much of an issue, couple lines about lost love, a pickup truck a hound dog & ya got it.

Looks like US & German beer joints may have some similarity.

Nice cultural exchange Default, pleasure was mine.

Thanks

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England

capnjuan said:
JerryR said:
Jeez Jerry; so very Anglais of you not to recognize the Duetchie thangie.... ya know, if you had a 21-footer (boat) and headed generally SE from anywhere on the southern UK coast, you'd bang into a big lump of land generically referred to as YerUp where there are many peoples with many tongues.... roughly translated; 'nice enough music but couldn't understand the lyrics..' I'll send you a link to a Free Translator....cj

Yeah - but that bit's Frogland, ou on trouvé les grenouilles. Krautland's somewhat behind that somewhere, and 'Donner unt blitzen' is about my limit with that language :shock:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

JerryR said:
capnjuan said:
JerryR said:
Yeah - but that bit's Frogland, ou on trouvé les grenouilles. Krautland's somewhat behind that somewhere, and 'Donner unt blitzen' is about my limit with that language :shock:
You're right, on a clear day, you can't see into Germany...but being rude to the Deutchers gets you a hole in the foot; as I recall, before the Normans f/k/a Norse-Vikings came ashore in rubber boats and AK47s being rude to everyone, there was a crowd called the Saxons ... who also sprayed their genebullets around using earlier model Tommy Guns....(ha ha). Thus les anglais are a motley crue including ...too many ingredients to list....I have a good friend who is a naturalized Austrian and use the translator extensively; besides this BB, another good thing about the web....!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

JerryR said:
Tell me about it - I'm a Celt - weve been invaded and raped by : EVERYBODY :shock:
Weren't the Celts originally from France and driven out of 'Gaul' to the British Isles by Les Romans... I thought there was a linguistic connection between the 'Gaelic' and 'Gaul'? Erin go Bragh!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

Guildmark said:
Erin may go braghless if she desires.
Roughly translated: 'Ireland Forever' (with or with bra) ..... neon sign at the Griffin Spa, 23rd and Penn.NW Washington DC ... a looonng time ago.....beerhall in the shadow of GW University. Our kind of place:

Beerman: "How old are you guys?"
Juan and broz (in chorus): "Eighteen!"
Beerman: "What'll it be?"

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

capnjuan said:

Which is another attribute of some of the Guild Geezers. We could drink legally at 18.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

fronobulax said:
capnjuan said:
Which is another attribute of some of the Guild Geezers. We could drink legally at 18.
Did you grow up in Northern VA? Back in the day, the drinking age in the District of Columbia was 18 while, in Virginia which was something of a Bluenose state, the age was 21. Virginia carried 'Blue' laws on its books until the early 1970s; Blue laws precluded the sale of hardware, tools, and building materials on Sunday to deter working on, in lieu of recognizing, the Sabbath. The NoVa teens followed GuildMark's Dicta; drinking early and drinking often as did the teens from the nearby Maryland suburbs.

One irony is that MD teens had to go to the District of Columbia when, at least then, the state of Maryland had the highest per capita ratio of Taverns / 'off' licensed establishments in the country. Some skills learned early last (burp) a lifetime. cj

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

capnjuan said:
Did you grow up in Northern VA?

Grew up in upstate New York. There was a local VFW (or maybe American Legion) Post that wasn't to picky about ID which was the location for much of my underage drinking.

Went to college in Rochester NY, home of the Genesee Brewing Company. Genny Cream Ale was available at almost every campus function. The only question was whether it was all you can drink for the price of admission or paid for by the glass.

Very different attitude towards drinking on campus when the vast majority of the freshmen can drink legally.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

fronobulax said:
Grew up in upstate New York.... There was a local VFW (or maybe American Legion) .... Very different attitude towards drinking on campus when the vast majority of the freshmen can drink legally.
Seen through the bottom of a mug or pitcher, the distinct between the Amerian Legion and VFW is a little smeary. Same was true for students at American, George Washington, Georgetown, and Howard Universities; non-local students had died and gone to Beer-Man heaven. Because of the urban environment, the hard drinking didn't draw much attention. By the mid-70s, UVA was allowing beer deliveries to the dorms - as compensation for the then nortoriously non-competitive football teams.

Carol

Reaction score

JerryR -- So you're a Celt? Excellent!

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Carol said:
JerryR -- So you're a Celt? Excellent!

But not an Irish one - unless you go back to when the Scots settled in Dalriada (Argyll) - my mother's side were Scots ancestry. Direct male line originally Welsh (which is why I get sheepshagger jokes as well as Coastie) :shock: Of course som Saxon has crept in along the way (as it does) :cry: But if you are Minnesotan - surely you are a Swede by ancestry :?:

Carol

Reaction score

I'm actually of German and Irish lineage... not a Scandinavian in the bunch...

But I do appreciate all the Celts... not just the Irish. They have quite a history.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

capnjuan said:
JerryR said:
Tell me about it - I'm a Celt - weve been invaded and raped by : EVERYBODY :shock:
Weren't the Celts originally from France and driven out of 'Gaul' to the British Isles by Les Romans... I thought there was a linguistic connection between the 'Gaelic' and 'Gaul'? Erin go Bragh!

Going by the old legends, they were a middle eastern people (allegedly refugees from Troy) who moved up through Spain and France - and a branch settled Ireland (the Scots) who in turn moved into Pictland, making it Scotland. The people in Brittany were a settlement back from Cornwall.

The Romano Celtic civilisation left in Britain after the Legions retrenced to Rome were prey to mud hut living barbarioans (Saxons) who kept invading. The tribal Britons briefly unified under a war leader (known as Arthur) but after his death, split up again into tribes and were taken out bit by bit by the Saxon invaders.

Somehow, I feel a lot of sympathy for the native Americans :!: