Acoustic Guitar Magazine Cover Story: Guild!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Russ. Interesting to read about the implementation of the Tacoma plant, as well as some of the philosophy behind it. Although this is an article from Acoustic Guitar magazine, it's rather disheartening to hear so little about the archtops and electrics, or their future.

I wonder if Donnie Wade ever stops by here :?:

kentukblue

Reaction score
After reading again, i have to say that i dont like the way they present the westerly plant and the way they make it seem like the "state of the art" corona plant was a step up.

Reaction score
Guild Total
An interesting reference was made that the Westerly plant had problems with humidity control. that was one of the factors in the decision to move out west......

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
kentukblue said:
After reading again, i have to say that i dont like the way they present the westerly plant and the way they make it seem like the "state of the art" corona plant was a step up.
Dunno KTB; I mean I wasn't there but my understanding of the Westerly facility is that it was in seriously poor condition. In one sense, luthiers struggling to fabricate fine guitars despite the elements has a certain charm to it and CF Martin sure managed to stay put but I didn't read it as a 'hit' on either quality or workmanship, just more like business decision. Maybe HideGlue will comment on it.

Did the 'Big E' survive the recent tornados?

Cheers! cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
lonesome picker said:
An interesting reference was made that the Westerly plant had problems with humidity control. that was one of the factors in the decision to move out west......
Hi Lonesome Picker; San Luis Valley ... is that where Florence CO is? SW of Colorado Springs?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
No mention of the DV-52, good, that should help keep the prices reasonable :D

HoboKen

Reaction score
December '07 Acoustic Guitar Magazine......

Well we asked for Acoustic Guitar Magazine to do an article on Guild Guitars less than year ago....and boy....they sure did an in-depth job of it! Why even the Acoustic Guitar Books ad on page 59 has a "Guildie" as a prop guitar! The F-47M on page 69 has the spittin' image of what inlay Dave Strait put on my Westerly JF-30 for me. Wouldn't you say so Don? You saw my JF-30 this past Summer. While not everone agrees with all or how all was said in the article, I still think it is a nice article over-all. Nice job Ben!

HoboKen

guildzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I found it interesting to say the least.

This article has a severe bias toward FMIC. It reads like something the company should have paid advertising space for. Journalism it is not. Much closer to a long-winded press release.

I'm not arguing with the perspective shared here. But I do think if you pay for a magazine, the cover story should meet the criteria of journalistic writing, so I'm quite glad I didn't pay for it.

BluesDan

Reaction score
There is a train of thought that "Any press is good press".......I'll take it! :mrgreen:

songsmith7

Reaction score
Nice to see our brand get some pub, though I too thought it read more like an ad than an article. Every Corona Guild I ever played had a build issue, and they never got close to the '70's Westerly sound. I've heard great things about the Tacs, but haven't played one. Still, I appreciate how the article almost undercut the Westerly Guilds. It may help us in a quest for bargains.

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
kentukblue said:
Dunno KTB; I mean I wasn't there but my understanding of the Westerly facility is that it was in seriously poor condition. In one sense, luthiers struggling to fabricate fine guitars despite the elements has a certain charm to it and CF Martin sure managed to stay put but I didn't read it as a 'hit' on either quality or workmanship, just more like business decision. Maybe HideGlue will comment on it.

Did the 'Big E' survive the recent tornados?

Cheers! cj

If I'm not mistaken, Nashville has a fair amount of moisture in the air -- what does that say about Gibsons?

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
guildzilla said:
Thanks for posting this. I found it interesting to say the least.

This article has a severe bias toward FMIC. It reads like something the company should have paid advertising space for. Journalism it is not. Much closer to a long-winded press release.

I'm not arguing with the perspective shared here. But I do think if you pay for a magazine, the cover story should meet the criteria of journalistic writing, so I'm quite glad I didn't pay for it.

The cynic in me thinks that Guild worked very hard to plant this story -- the P.R. Professional in me knows damn sure that they did. FMIC pays hefty advertising fees every month, which helps grease the wheels. Kind of like the Motor Trend Car of the Year. Anyone who thinks that that is objective journalism never bought a Renault Alliance based on their reporting.

That is the way the relationship between PR and the media works. We may disagree with some of the things said, but it is what the company wants the public to hear and if this article sells a bunch of Guilds and interests more players in the brand, it is probably a good thing.

kentukblue

Reaction score
Very correct David....I guess i shouldnt expect FMIC to flaunt the fact that they got rid of the quality control guys for a few years there. Although, there is a Corona D40SB on ebay right now that is doing pretty well.

We can rest knowing that people like Hans are taking the time to put together in depth and factual writing...that is, until FMIC gets their hands on him and fills his pockets full of cash.lol :lol:

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ome thing that I left out: If FMIC is working hard enough to plant this kind of story, it means that they are finally making a serious effort to bud up and promote the Guild brand, somthing they haven't done for many years. With their marketing clout and -- hopefully -- Tacoma's guitar building skills, this could be a very good sign.

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
There is hope in the hype!

Check out the picture of Guild boss Donnie Wade -- he's one of us!

7843-008.jpg

dklsplace

Reaction score
:lol: I just read the article cal & thought to myself..."he's really a geezer, he should fit right in here!"