A New Era

Carol

Reaction score
Good grief! I'm so tired of the PC thing. History is history and shouldn't be rewritten to pacify anyone. The British Empire existed. It changed the world. And I am fascinated by it.

It seems the entire world is turning into a bunch of whining pansies! *S*

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey there,
just a question from a non native english speaking: is PC "politically correct"?

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
pansies.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Carol said:
Good grief! I'm so tired of the PC thing. History is history and shouldn't be rewritten to pacify anyone. The British Empire existed. It changed the world. And I am fascinated by it. It seems the entire world is turning into a bunch of whining pansies! *S*
Hi Carol: I have a BA in History; yup, it's a shame. The Dumbing Down to get the kids out of HS has meant sacrifices; if something doesn't relate to the little dickenses knowing how to balance a checkbook or download tunes, they chuck it. In FL, the HSs churn out velvetta in squirt cans ....if you're lucky, I won't tell ya what I really think...cj

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham said:
krysh said:
hey there,
just a question from a non native english speaking: is PC "politically correct"?

Not anymore. :shock:

sorry graham,
I did not understand. what does PC mean in the former context, personal computer, private cottage, prosbyterian church???

Carol

Reaction score
Krysh -- Yes, PC (for this discussion) does mean "politically correct."

CapnJuan -- I do agree. In a way, I'm glad I'm getting old enough to die. I don't think I want to be a witness to America in 2037!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
krysh said:
sorry graham, I did not understand. what does PC mean in the former context, personal computer, private cottage, presbyterian church???
Hi Michael; a complex, ironic joke by Graham. 'PC' stills means 'Politically Correct'.

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
krysh said:
sorry graham, I did not understand. what does PC mean in the former context, personal computer, private cottage, presbyterian church???
Hi Michael; a complex, ironic joke by Graham. 'PC' stills means 'Politically Correct'.

:D oh you americans. I am sorry, but understanding english/american jokes is sometimes very difficult. :D
anyway, thanks john, in this case I agree with carol:

Carol said:
Good grief! I'm so tired of the PC thing. History is history and shouldn't be rewritten to pacify anyone. ...
It seems the entire world is turning into a bunch of whining pansies! *S*

Carol

Reaction score
Of course, history texts do need to be rewritten from time-to-time -- looking at history from the fresh perspective of time is a good thing. Even "facts" aren't always truthful and do need to be reviewed for accuracy. However, we can't "sugar-coat" the past to pretend things did or did not happen.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Carol said:
...I do agree. In a way, I'm glad I'm getting old enough to die. I don't think I want to be a witness to America in 2037!
Whoa, not so fast .... but as for the rest of it .... Yeah; a different kind of Apocalypse .... not riders on horseback or the thermo-nuclear thingie but the morphed-beyond-recognition remnant of what the post WW2 generation was trying to do socially and culturally. 40 years ago, we wanted stuff changed and updated. Cheap downloads isn't much consolation if the goal was a better collective quality of life; or, if it is, maybe we really didn't mean it in the first place. Who knows...

john_kidder

Reaction score
There just ain't no such thing as "truth" in history - it's always recorded by the winners. With time and distance, or with new sets of victors, new "facts" emerge. 'Twas ever thus.

Perhaps the single most important rule for observers is that no recent history can be trusted. By definition, it's propaganda for them what won.

This may be changing these days with the rise of the internet, and a thousand points of observation for events. That's why governments around the world, from China and Burma to the United States and Canada, all are trying to get a handle on and control the exchange of information on the web.

Carol

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm sounding jaded... but I've spent way too much time in Ireland where people are intelligent, educated, kind and caring.

The "dumbing down" of America's education system is just part of the problem. We have become a land of two societies: 1) illiterate, angry thugs; and 2) banal consumers obsessed with personal safety and the relative size of their collective buttocks.

Okay, I'm going to get off my soap box now! Good grief, I don't even know how we got on this subject anymore. I think it started with concerns about having a chick in the forum!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Carol said:
Sorry if I'm sounding jaded... but I've spent way too much time in Ireland where people are intelligent, educated, kind and caring. If you'd made this remark in the US 175 years ago, those in polite society would have thought you'd lost your mind. BTW; I have some Irish ancestors.

The "dumbing down" of America's education system is just part of the problem. We have become a land of two societies: 1) illiterate, angry thugs; and 2) banal consumers obsessed with personal safety and the relative size of their collective buttocks.
I don't disagree.

Okay, I'm going to get off my soap box now! Good grief, I don't even know how we got on this subject anymore. I think it started with concerns about having a chick in the forum! Threads go where they go; no absolute requirement to stick to the topic. Biggest issue w/ the socio-cultural 'subject' is that, while we can all do intellectual situps and pushups, it won't change anything in the near term and the thread collapses into ranting ... not that that's a bad thing...

Regards, cj

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Carol said:
Sorry if I'm sounding jaded... but I've spent way too much time in Ireland where people are intelligent, educated, kind and caring.

Love and mostly play Irish Music. If it weren't for the Irish, there might not be much in the way of music. Probably half Irish myself. I've met many and love them dearly....yes those I've met are mostly intelligent, educated, kind and caring.....but they STILL have the "troubles" and think nothing of killing each other in the name of religion... :cry:

And yet the music is SO BEAUTIFUL.... :D

Carol

Reaction score
GuildFS4612CE -- but The Troubles are mostly in the North -- in The Republic, it's not such an issue.

I have just started an Irish trad band here -- hope to really get it going over the winter. Where are you located? I doubt you're in the neighborhood, but you just never know!!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
JerryR said:
It isn't true Germans have no sense of humor - it's just different (oops - that wasn't PC - sorry Krysh :oops: )
No, Michael's right; it's us and the language. The shame is that practically everyone on the European continent speaks it better than 50% of folks in the US. Said to be one of the hardest languages to learn - and if so, I wonder why my Spanish is coming so slowly....???