1960 CF Martin + wanted

dklsplace

Reaction score
I've been enjoying the couple vintage amp threads lately & had to throw this in for those who've never seen or heard of one. Mine is a '60.

CF Martin 112

http://schematicheaven.com/bargainbin/martin_112t.pdf

I came upon mine by accident sitting in the corner on the floor of a local auction clearing house which I do a fair amount of business with. I watched for several weeks, & asked each time I was in, but it never seemed to be listed. Finally someone said it had been listed as part of a lot & the winner didn't want the amp, so left it. Meanwhile, the company was moving to a larger location & this had been left behind. After several more weeks of nothing, I finally made an offer on it while I was there picking up some other items & said I would go pick it up at the other place. The deal was done, & I figured I would turn it around & make a quick buck....but then I made the mistake of playing through it. It's never leaving me now!!!

I've only ever seen one other which was for sale on consignment at Elderly. It sold for $900.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Re: 1960 CF Martin

Tres cool, Don. 8) 8)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

dklsplace said:
....but then I made the mistake of playing through it. It's never leaving me now!!!
Great story ... as the saying goes, every now and then ... That's pretty much the formula; pair of 12AX7s and a pair of 6V6s. I have a Gibson GA18 w/ trem using that config and a GA19 (Princeton Reverb knockoff) with reverb and trem but using 6EU7s and I like the GA18 better ... no explanation ... simple and straightforward.

cj

dklsplace

Reaction score

I'm pretty sure I have a schematic on hand. I'll hafta do some digging.

Here's mine
amp33.jpg
amp22.jpg

My '60 has tremolo, where the '59 shown in the first link did not. I use it regularly, however I have one of my Reverend Alltone 1250's installed in place of the Jensen.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score

Geez Don ... KILLER ... it's mint!!!

cj

dklsplace

Reaction score

Just doing a bit more research this morning, I find that it's nearly, if not, identical to the old DeArmond R15. Guess I'll be keeping my eyes open for one of these now as well! 8)

dklsplace

Reaction score

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Also found these ToneQuest Clarksdale amps that would be interesting to A/B with the original to see how they did.
http://www.tonequest.com/content/newsle ... rticleID=2
The output transformer on the DeArmond / TQ makes the OTs on conventional period amps look like chokes... reminiscent of OTs on Dynaco ST70s. Link to eBay ST70

st70c.jpg

Is the Martin OT that big?

cj

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Don, isn't this the amp you said was made by the Allen Organ Company? If so, that place is about 5 minutes from my house.... though we're moving shortly. Anyway, small world.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
fungusyoung said:
.... though we're moving shortly. Anyway, small world.
Where to Fungus? cj

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not far from here to lovely Bethlehem, PA... We're already in the process of renovating a late 1800's townhouse there. Hopefully, we'll have most of it done by year's end.

dklsplace

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
The output transformer on the DeArmond / TQ makes the OTs on conventional period amps look like chokes... reminiscent of OTs on Dynaco ST70s.
Is the Martin OT that big?

Yes, it's a monster! That really is the heart of the tone on any amp...regardless of the brilliance of the design....skimp & put a cheap OT onboard & you've just killed the whole thing.

fungusyoung said:
Don, isn't this the amp you said was made by the Allen Organ Company? If so, that place is about 5 minutes from my house.... though we're moving shortly. Anyway, small world.

Yep, that's the place listed on the label. They're obviously still making some pretty serious amps, just not for guitars anymore.

Interesting to note the DeArmonds are credited to Rowe Industries & I've seen mention of Rowe also building the Martins. So far, I haven't been able to make a connection between Rowe & Allen Organ. Gives me the impression mine is even more rare. 8)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
fungusyoung said:
Not far from here to lovely Bethlehem, PA... We're already in the process of renovating a late 1800's townhouse there. Hopefully, we'll have most of it done by year's end.
Went to the town's webpage; very scenic! Moving :evil: usually among the front-runners of unpleasant things to do. Hope it goes well!

cj

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, capnjuan! It is a very nice little town, and what we will enjoy most is being walking distances from shopping, eating, drinking, the library, etc. There's also a ton of bike paths, etc. so I may have some chance there to get back into shape. After 15 years of it, we're tired of suburbia and really looking forward to the change.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Fungus: sounds like Annapolis MD 25 years ago; it got 'found' in somewhat the same manner as Bethlehem by folks like you getting tired of mowing the grass. 'Old Town'-style charm, pleasant surroundings, where you might want to spend an evening out ... unlike the hole-in-the-wall restaurants at strip-malls.

This is the webpage for a vineyard / winery in SE PA Allegro
It was started by an old friend, now deceased, and his brother in the late 1970s; musicians of a sort; they taught instruments, ran a music shop in Hyattsville MD, and bought 20-odd acres in SE PA - classic config; one guy - my friend Tim - w/ a day job, the other - his brother John - messing with the wine.

Near the town of Brogue PA; find it, enjoy yourself - if you meet the proprietors, tell them you were directed there by a friend of Tim Crouch; my wife and I used to drive up from DC; drink a little, buy alot; take a mixed case home in the car; gonna be gorgeous there in a month or so.

cj

dklsplace

Reaction score
I hadn't read the updates to the auction, but could see it was a '59 rather than a '60. So no tremolo in that one. I also have the original speaker in storage, still in very good condition. Makes me wonder about any possible connection with Rowe & Allen Organ back then.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
:shock: :shock: :shock: Yowza!
I saw the listing but never thought it would go that high. Now I'm really curious about how yours sounds, Don.