The Dudepit

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
My former impression of the Dudepit was a group of pretty much in-the-know people following their favorite instruments and music, at least in general, the way we'uns follow Guild(s) in particular. If I wanted to do 'MySpace' or any its variants or if DKL said that LTG was gonna follow the apparent direction of DP, and there were 'Mandatory' questions/replies that were invasive, personal, or included the type of information that I'd consider it only my perogative to disclose, I'd probably go with 'Shove It' or possibly 'Up Yours' ... maybe even 'Bite Me'; would depend on how I felt at the moment.

gilded

Reaction score
Well, I enjoyed the 2nd version of the Dudepit and learned a lot, about Guilds and other basses.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I wanted to 'support the home team' and bought some Thomastik strings from Steve Barr, the 'founder' of the Dude Pit. Turned out to be the worst internet commerce experience I have ever had, though in fairness, I don't do a lot of biz on the Web.

Great communication until I sent him the money, then no strings or response to quite a few emails over several weeks.
Finally, I found his cell phone number (maybe on his myspace page, it wasn't listed in his 'store') and called him. Our conversation was short and to the point, 'send money or strings this week or I report the matter to the State Attorney General's Office'.

Steve then sent the strings, a T shirt and an additional set of RotoSound strings. That may sound nice (to somebody besides me), but what I really wanted was my Thomastik strings on a timely basis. I gave the extra stuff away......

Dudepit v.3 was a waste of time. And the new deal with 'tags'? Somehow, it all seems rather strange and aberrant, as if Mr. Barr is setting up a lot of hoops for folks to jump through. Perhaps he's culling out the unfaithful and hoping to make money off of the true believers.

As for me, I'm out. If anybody makes it through the 'registration wilderness' and finds 'the promised land' on the other side,
let me know.

In the meantime, I'm happy to be at LTG. I've had the good fortune to meet DKL as well as the rest of the LTGers who showed up at the Arlington '07 show. I've learned a whole lot from Hans, frono and capnjuan about guitars, basses and amps, plus a lot of stuff from the rest of the Gang. LTG is as good as it gets, amigos!!

Jahn

Reaction score
i went to the rejiggered dudepit and couldn't even find a normal forum to lurk in - it's so confusing!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is now a Guild (bass) forum at The Dude Pit. For reasons that seemed good to me at the time, I volunteered as moderator and the offer was accepted.

gilded

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
There is now a Guild (bass) forum at The Dude Pit. For reasons that seemed good to me at the time, I volunteered as moderator and the offer was accepted.

Well, frono', if you're going back, I guess I might as well volunteer to Drink the Kool Aid with you.
How do I register for the 'Trip to Jonestown', again??

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Congratulations 'Frono! Hope you don't live to regret it...ha ha. If SpongeBobDrumPants shows up, tell him I said Hi and that I sincerely wish he'd give us another try ... cj

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
gilded said:

Go to http://thedudepit.com/

On the LHS scroll down until you find the option to Login or register and then Register. Only questions I can recall were username and password so registering wasn't too obnoxious.

Biggest complaint, so far is that the software divides the browser up into three windows and sticks forum content in the middle. It is a PITA to read something without scrolling. I'm hoping mgod and Fred Hammon return because their stories and knowledge were most interesting and useful, to me, anyway.

gilded

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
gilded said:
I'm hoping mgod and Fred Hammon return because their stories and knowledge were most interesting and useful, to me, anyway.

+1 on that; good guys.

h60

Reaction score
The pit is better then the last iteration, but it still isn't the quite as comfortable as it used to be. I go there to read posts in the Guild forum, the Dark Star forum and that's about it. it seems to take a while to load on my pc when I first open the page, which is mildly annoying. like a paper cut. makes no sense to me as every other site on the web opens quickly (I just upgraded RAM).

Anyway, Steve has some kind of master plan. but I'm not really interested in a MyBass page...

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, it looks like there is another iteration of The Dude Pit here. This seems to be inactive.

If you aren't into basses then there doesn't seem to be much point in keeping up with the latest iteration, but it is still the place for Dark Stars and the occasional vintage Guild. (Pilot owners are probably too busy gigging to post anywhere on the internet).

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Morphing shortly to an EZBoard/Yuku .... thing ... Whoever they are, they swallowed the old Tel Ray/Oil Can BB, the UMGF, others ...

dklsplace

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
... Whoever they are, they swallowed the old Tel Ray/Oil Can BB...

Richard was an active member here once upon a time.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dklsplace said:
capnjuan said:
... Whoever they are, they swallowed the old Tel Ray/Oil Can BB...
Richard was an active member here once upon a time.
He had the opportunity to study Ray Lubow's notes and designs; one of maybe 5 people who understood how the oil cans worked and an extremely helpful guy.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Morphing shortly to an EZBoard/Yuku .... thing ... Whoever they are, they swallowed the old Tel Ray/Oil Can BB, the UMGF, others ...
I'm sorry, I misunderstood - I thought you meant that the people running the Dude Pit swallowed the oil from the oil can reverbs!!! :oops:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
hieronymous said:
capnjuan said:
I'm sorry, I misunderstood - I thought you meant that the people running the Dude Pit swallowed the oil from the oil can reverbs!!! :oops:
It's safer than Budweiser and gives you a better buzz.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
hieronymous said:
capnjuan said:
Hi H: I wish I had thought of that :lol: ... I'm not an especially big fan of the EZBoard / Yuku format but then, I like Gouda cheese and others might not care for it. As far as I know, 'Oil Can' oil is safe for washing white wall tires and brushing teeth but should not be taken internally. Btw, the long-standing rumor that the oil is carcinogenic is as true as the myth about the 50-foot alligators in the sewers of NYC. Not saying there aren't creatures there, just saying they aren't alligators ... I've been told they are Trolls.