Crate Palomino 5 Watt jobbie

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Scored one of these after a strange day at the old Guitar Center. Man, what a strange way to run a business, but I got this one more than half off retail. Seems these are made by Ampeg for Crate, good reviews on the 'net, and so far sounds pretty nice.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... ID=2278521

My question...what is the line out jack for?

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey FNG,

Glad to hear you found something cool! I had a visit from an old musician colleague, and he was raving about the Palomino series. This dude's quite the persnickety gear head as well, so it's a comment meant in earnest. He's got the V16, and he claims it's all he needs. He really digs the EL34 setup and says it gets that nice Brit Mash-all sound. I'm really intrigued now,and I have to try one out. Have fun with your new toy. Very cool that you can crank it up and not blow your neighbors away.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
FNG,

One purpose of the Line Out would be to feed a mixer board, for either PA or recording. Either directly or (more likely) into a DI box, and then the mixer. Nice feature, IMO. I have an old 10 watt off-brand amp with a Line Out, and my Marshall G50R has one, too. I have been in a couple situations where I used the amp as my personal monitor while the sound engineer controlled the mix out front. It worked well.
Glad to hear you like the Crate

Your humble servant,

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
FNG said:
...and so far sounds pretty nice...

C'mon FNG; don't under do it ... that thing ought to be a tone machine!! The comments suggest it uses an EL84 for output; is that what yours has? Congratulations!!

cj

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know...I have a floor model until a brand new one comes in mid=week. Can't get to the tubes without taking off the back. And no owners manual.

It will crank, thats for sure. I have been running a Boss Blues Driver pedal to get a little distortion without getting too loud, and it is doing the trick so far. My ears are toast, and I don't need anything too over the top.

I think it was a steal at 170 clams.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I have alot of fun with a Dano T-Bone and Marshall Bluesbreaker II; crunchy, warm distortion.

Did Good!