Starfire I Bass on the way!

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
The next "full frontal" will be improved by using natural light instead of flash and finding a background that is a little less cluttered :)
Backgrounds are exactly my problem! Too much stuff and clutter (story of my life). Got some rose bushes outside that need trimming, but once that's done I might try and take a few pics. Remember, indirect sunlight!

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I got the Starfire all set up nicely, or at least so I thought. New light guage LaBella flatwounds, tweaked the neck just a touch, lowered the bridge and adjusted the intonation just right.

But then I plugged it in and realized that the E string was too low and hitting the pickup! The pickup is as low as it will go, so I tried raising the action, but it still hits now and again. It's not too bad, but when I recorded something, I realized that you can definitely hear it sometimes.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi hieronymous; enjoyed the link, didn't notice any doink but it's possible that the electronic food chain from your gear, to file, to web, down again through a wire to a pair of cheesey pc speakers parsed it out ... who knows ... enjoyed it!

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Hi hieronymous; enjoyed the link, didn't notice any doink but it's possible that the electronic food chain from your gear, to file, to web, down again through a wire to a pair of cheesey pc speakers parsed it out ... who knows ... enjoyed it!
Thank you sir - I could be oversensitive to the sound since I've listened to it a million times recording and mixing it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that all the tracks (except the drums of course) are the Starfire - clean through an Alembic F2-B preamp, and distorted through a Malekko Heavy Industry B:ASSMASTER (which is a clone of the Maestro Bass Brassmaster) and Moogerfooger analog delay.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
hieronymous said:
capnjuan said:
Thank you sir - I could be oversensitive to the sound since I've listened to it a million times recording and mixing it.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that all the tracks (except the drums of course) are the Starfire - clean through an Alembic F2-B preamp, and distorted through a Malekko Heavy Industry B:ASSMASTER (which is a clone of the Maestro Bass Brassmaster) and Moogerfooger analog delay.
:shock: :) :D :mrgreen:

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
It might be an issue of listening on computer speakers vs. full-range speakers. I use Cambridge Soundworks systems with subwoofers (both at home and at the office) and I can definitely hear it then. But on computer speakers the clean bass - in other words, the track that is mainly bass frequencies - is almost inaudible, and I think the "doink" (nice word - that must be a technical term) is happening in a lower frequency range that isn't so audible in computer speakers.

Thanks for listening!

Karl Teten

Reaction score
Sweet bass! 8) For strings I highly recommend Thomastik Infeld solid nickel flats. These are old school flats but are lighter in tension that modern roundwounds. Play and sound fantastic and won't turn your vintage neck into a banana! :wink:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
hieronymous said:
..and I think the "doink" (nice word - that must be a technical term) is happening in a lower frequency range that isn't so audible in computer speakers.
Hi hieronymous: yup; always trying to maintain high tech standards around here .... :wink: I'm surprised any of us with ordinary pc sound cards and dime-store speakers are able to get anything worth listening to; agree, whatever bump-in-the-night sounds you're hearing may be below the efficiency of most everyone else's gear.

cj

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
nice one hieronymous.

I believe you mean the boink in the solo part at the end of the track.
so, don't hit that hard :D

by the way, I would recommend to secure your website, all tracks are downloadable :wink: