For the jammers...etiquette question

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
I don't get out much, but when I do I often notice that I can hear my guitar over the other ones in the crowd. Is that because:

A) I am holding it and therefore am in closer proximity to the sound.
B) I am playing too aggressively and am being a jerk.
C) A Guild will cut through a bunch of Martins or Taylors, not necessarily because it is superior, but because the different tone does not get as lost in the overall mix.

Sometimes I can hear my guitar, other times not. But I was just wondering.

Regards,

CK

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I sold an old man, and great guitar player a D55 a while back, next to him was another old man, equally as good, with a D41 Martin...a 60's model as I recall, just restrung. They were both right in front of me to either side facing me, and the D55 just drowned him out. not being strummed any more aggressively.

After they played, the Martin owner went on and on about the Guild. I've just seen it too many times, from Martin, Taylor and Gibson owners all saying the same thing.

West :D

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff: The answer is (B). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, is anyone else complaining? Maybe they're wanting to follow and want you to lead.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
One night we had a general jam night in the Folk Club - and yes, my D35 more than held it's own, but in one particular song in G, I picked around the lower strings only, which (hopefully) added to the general effect, as it was like a bass guitar accompaniment.

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Hi Cypress Knee,
Could be "C" !
My DV-52 is a cannon! And its hard sometimes to not be too loud unless I try and stay very aware of that fact and hold back a little :wink:
Next jam try this: Swap guitars with someone and see if you still think the same....then ask what the person you swaped with thinks.
Then smile proudly and say, " sorry, the Guild is not for sale" :D :D

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Great post, CK, and as usual, great responses and advice.

Question for CK: What Guild were you playing?

For all: Does the same logic hold true for Mahogony/Rosewood etc. as it would for say Maple? Thanks...

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I was going to pick "C", but I didn't agree that "Guilds weren't necessarily superior". :D

West