1960 Magnatone 260 amplifier

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, there's the same model of Estey that I have on ebay!
As a point of interest, on this amp, the chassis is used as part of the 6 volt circuit for the heaters. :shock: so converting it to a 3 prong cord is a little more involved than normal. You need a soldering gun to desolder one of the 12ax7 contacts from the chassis.

<edit>
It also packs a 12" 4 ohm speaker....

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
]Hey, there's the same model of Estey that I have on ebay!
Hi Default; does this Estey use varistors like the other Magnatone amps? Do you know what purpose they serve?

cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Can somebody tell me please, if Silvertone made a head-only 1482 ....
This is a 1483 Slivertone Head on eBay eBay 1483

silvertone1483a.jpg

View of the back showing 'box' left of center, behind the output tubes, more likely than not an oil-filled, 3-section capacitor w/ single can-cap to its right.

silvertone1483b.jpg

Schematic here 1483 Schematic w/ 6L6s

Amp in eBay listing uses 5881s, 35 - 50 watts out; 2-channels which accounts for the extra controls, no trem; don't know whether the 1482 was made as a head; considering its light-enough weight as a combo and modest power, I'd guess not.

cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
mad dog said:
...I had a 50s 1336 (2x12, 2 OTs, maybe 50 watts) that I stupidly sold. What an idiot.
Here's your chance to buy it back - probably at a premium, Starts @ $800 / BIN @ $1,100, 4X6L6...yowee: eBay Silvertone 1336 in 'Gator Tweed!

Silvertone1336.jpg

From the back, 'kick-on/kick-off' power switch?

Silvertone1336b.jpg

cj

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Cap:

That's pretty! Mine was a bit more worn, but not much. Got if for 650 locally. Like an idiot, sold it last year ... sound was a bit harsh, not as tweedy as I wanted. What I should have done was change the speakers. Doh!! The stock Utahs were not the best. This is a surprisingly loud amp. 4 6L6s, two per OT, one OT per speaker. Whoever gets this one will be most pleased.

MD

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I went looking for schem, no could find ... a little tougher now that Schematic Heaven has ... uh ... 'Account' issues. Looked all over Google; nothing for free. Probably can be had from SAMS or equivalents.

cj

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
coastie99 said:
Can somebody tell me please, if Silvertone made a head-only 1482 ....
This is a 1483 Slivertone Head on eBay eBay 1483

silvertone1483a.jpg

View of the back showing 'box' left of center, behind the output tubes, more likely than not an oil-filled, 3-section capacitor w/ single can-cap to its right.

silvertone1483b.jpg

Schematic here 1483 Schematic w/ 6L6s

Amp in eBay listing uses 5881s, 35 - 50 watts out; 2-channels which accounts for the extra controls, no trem; don't know whether the 1482 was made as a head; considering its light-enough weight as a combo and modest power, I'd guess not.

cj

Thanks John.

It's gotta be a 6V6 for me; not a great fan of 6L6's.

And it's gotta have trem.

I reckon a 1482 would be just the dog's bollocks !!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Agree: this one less appealing that the 1482. They did make the 1484; head/cab, trem and reverb, twin 12" speakers, using 6L6s. Seems like a lot of amp however if it isn't in your hometown, it presents some serious shipping issues.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
And this, looks like kind of a whopper, Magnatone Custom 250 Vintage Amp - $500.
Dang :evil: Why don't these show up down here? If it works well, probably a decent price.

I tells ya Jeffman; the bunch over on Mad Dog's Magnatone/Valco Yahoo BB thingie are are music / tech savvy people who are crazy about these amps ... all of them are probably your (regional) neighbors too...

The Craigslistings for Miami / Ft Lauderdale / West Palm Beach are littered with broken Guitar God dreams - all the Estebans you can eat, starter electric guitars w/ cheesy (sorry JP) little stinkoid amps ... - or the other dreams; $30,000 Gibsons...

Sorry; I forgot to mention the 3 sets of assorted drum sticks for $10...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Glad to know there are 'Martin Mounties' out there too. Yep; there are creeps everywhere.... :evil:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Seller has written an eloquent pedigree.
... and his price is pretty much what it would bring on eBay; it's a beauty!

cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Another Magnatone 260 very clean Link to eBay Magnatone Sitting at $8 hunnie w/ 5 hours to go. I guess we showed that guy in the NW; who did he think he was offering us that amp at +/- $ 5 hunnie .... no sir, why pay less? Except for some handle wear, clean in the extreeeme.

Magnatone260.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bump: sold for $1,725 9/20/07 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hey Cap: That's some wild foolishness price-wise. Here's the antidote:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... twilighter

The Twilighter 260 is for all practical purposes identical to the Maggie 260. Made at the Estey plant. Only difference is some cosmetics (different handle, nameplate and color scheme), knob style, and absence of a subchassis. Circuit and parts are identical. It's the same amp. This guy is selling a 1961, in excellent condition. One changed knob. Otherwise, looks damn good. Mine is a '62, same condition. And that's the price I paid. Two more efficient speakers (CRexes in my case) and a pair of JJs later, this thing is a home run, one of my all-time favorite amps. BTW, these cosmetics are very attractive in person, more so I think than the original maggie 260s.