1960 Magnatone 260 amplifier

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Cap:

I'm no expert, trying not to add to the inevitable maggie confusion, but here goes anyway. If I am in error on any of this, please correct me:

The 26R happens to be a later variant, not of the 260, but of the 460. The original 460 was Magnatone-branded, a 260 with reverb added but other changes too. Had 6L6GC or 5581 tubes, reputedly a bit less gain than the original 260, not quite the same sonically. Anyway, both the 260 and 460 went on to be made under other names. At first, that rebranding was inhouse. So my '62 Twilighter 260 was actually built by Estey, which had purchased Magnatone and built later (post-reverb) Magnatone branded amps (the 400 series and M series, "suitcase" amps) from '62 to '68. I believe the original 260 was not made under the Magnatone brand after Estey bought it. But it was being made under names (Twilighter, titano, probably others). In fact, the Titano 262R made by Estey in the early 60s is (I think) very much a 260 type amp only with reverb added. Estey also licensed outright. Their deal with Lo Duca in Wisconsin led to manufacture of (basically) maggie amps there, under Laub, Unique and maybe other names. The 26R was a Laub product based on the 460 circuit. It did use 7686 tubes, also had very different cosmetics than original and many of the earlier rebranded maggies. (As in your picture cap. No other maggie type looked like that.) Most of the 460 types had two 5 inch speakers as well. Not sure about the 26R.

It's a tangled history. You'll run across maggie type amps by Tonemaster, Giullietti, Da Vinci, Pac Amp ... some built by Estey, some not. The later they are (Lo Duco probably built maggie types into the late 70s), the more likely they are to differ from the Magnatone-branded originals.

Vibroworld is an essential resource for this stuff, but is not maintained and (supposedly) contains a number of inaccuracies. The best place for more info is the Magnatone/Valco list on Yahoo. Search their archives, join up. If you're at all curious about Maggies (actually, any old and strange amp), that's the place to be.

Coastie: On Robert Ward: Wonderful composer, singer, player. Lots more to this guy than just maggie vibrato, though he hardly ever turned it off. It was listening to him that finally pushed me into Maggie-dom. Especially to "Fear No Evil", and early stuff from his influential 60s? recordings. With Robert it was always an old strat into a 260 (I'm pretty sure), with vibe on, dimed. You can hear the midrangy, toasty/cool tone of those stock oxfords. I much prefer more efficient speakers in these amps, but the originals certainly had a fine sound too. Give that stuff a listen if you can. Maybe you'll end up a helpless Magnatone addict like me!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Mad Dog: I was fixing my mess when you posted your ... uh ... clarifying information; it actually does make sense. Agree, the Vibroworld site is a little awkward. There's a Maggie 425 4X12" 2X6L6(?) bass amp on eBay that is physically down the road 55 miles or so in Ft Lauderdale but, based on your description and the VB world stuff, it's a Model 26 (5881s) or nothing.

Thanks also for the point to Magnatone / Valco ...

Best,

John

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bump:
Hi Mad Dog: took your advice on the Yahoo/Magnatone/Valco Board. My 'app' is pending. Also took a look at some posts over on Vintage Amp and found a 'regular' there who's flat out crazy about Maggies ... yep ... seems to know what he's talking about too!

Regards,
cj

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Got any pics of your Estey?

BTW: 'Default' - that's a catchy screen name ... stay up all night working on it? Maybe you're really Dick Cheney trying to stay off the radar screen...only kidding... :)
Nah, no Dick Cheney. I'm Default on four or five forums.

You might say that I blend into the crowd. I don't have pics of the Estey, it's in the bedroom closet and my girl is sleeping.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
...Nah, no Dick Cheney. I'm Default on four or five forums. You might say that I blend into the crowd.

Welcom Default; at the risk of sounding argumentative, I'd have to save that screen names like, well say: "Barlow" or "Fred" would get you even more anonymity (if there is such a thing) ... but, in any event, pics if and when.

Regards,
cj.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
mad dog said:
... The best place for more info is the Magnatone/Valco list on Yahoo. Search their archives, join up ...
Hi Mad Dog: I joined up and lurked around. There are some very fine pics of restored amps there; looking forward to it. Thanks for the nudge.

cj

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
CJ:

You are most welcome. That is a great group, and not just for Magnatones. I have learned so much there. Some of those quys are quite tech-savvy, especially a fine fellow named CJ (I kid you not). He has gone out of his way to help me (and others) along the old amp and amp tech learning curve. So you can look forward to an interesting time. I'll bet there's a magnatone somewhere around here with your name on it ...

FYI: There's pic of my Twilighter 260 in there. Look in the "mikes amp" folder in Photos. First pic is the amp he sold me two years ago.

Michael D.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
mad dog said:
... especially a fine fellow named CJ (I kid you not).
Saw his initials, read some of his posts; impressive.

I'll bet there's a magnatone somewhere around here with your name on it ...
I'm gonna look hard!

FYI: There's pic of my Twilighter 260 in there.
Look forward to scoping it.

Thanks again. John

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Twas an enlightening experience posting my ignorance here. 8)

Happens with regularity.

Plugged a 350.00 Ibanez hollowbody with a Bigsby into one of these today. Learned quite a bit from the modeling features, Crunch, twang, insane, metal, a few of the settings. Couldn't turn it up past 1 without attracting nervous attention & you'd need a hand truck to move it around

Entertained myself for 45 minutes, freaking Bigsby on the Ibanez was some fun, just little tweaks & it added technicolor.

The little Silvertone Coastie posted up & a couple pedals would be infinitely cooler, Correct??

EG01502.jpg

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes Jeff, I think it would be a damn' sight cooler !

As a guitar "player", I'm dead amateur; but stuff like modelling amps/guitars, largely leave me cold; "dialling up" someone else's sound seems all wrong.
To be honest, I'm not interested in any kinds of effects, but I do admit to being a bona fide Luddite !
Only very lately have I become, in a small way, computer literate, and I swear; there'll never be a cellphone in my life !!

Cap'n Juan's the real "culprit" when it comes to turning us on to alternative and inexpensive amps. I knew nothing about those "alternatives", until only a week or two ago ( although I did know about the names).

I'm a huge fan of the "alternatives" (Guild), and screw the Corporations, the so-called "best", and poser stuff !

Eminently satisfying to have something that performs as well as, and at a fraction of the cost of, some brand-conscious poof's kit !

I actually know I could sell my Bluesbird, SF4 and THD amp; buy a nice (Guild) acoustic and Silvertone 1428 (nice 6V6 sound) and be very happy. I know my "cheapo" guitars would sound great with that amp.
But I just can't bring myself to do it. Yet !

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Disease it is my friends. Red brought a couple Robert Cray CD's home last week. Scored em at a yard sale for $1.00 @.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNeKhmsZvTk

If I live to a 110 I'll never be able to play like this, but no matter, I've been chasing that tone ever since I heard the tapes.

Haven't found it yet, considering lateral trades.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
This is a great discussion! It was pursuing oddball amps that got me even deeper into non-fender, gibson guitars, eventually into guilds and dearmonds. Started with a late 50s Gibson GA40, dubbed "chocolate thunder" in a recent VG article. That amp so surprised me, started down the tweed path, found brownface fenders, then messed with Silvertone, Danelectro, Sano, Ampeg, finally Magnatone.

Players spend a fortune hunting sounds with different guitars and pickups. I found a much bigger impact sonically on experimenting with amps, tubes and speakers. There are so many overlooked, cheap, great sounding amps out there. Silvertones are a good example. I had a 50s 1336 (2x12, 2 OTs, maybe 50 watts) that I stupidly sold. What an idiot. Thing had a sound, a different sound. Same with maggies. Modelers wont do it. And you can't get that old school sound out of BF/SF fenders, much as I like them. Some amps I'd love to own:

Gibson GA77 (their tweed pro, top boost circuit copied exactly by Vox for their famous top boost amp)
Ampeg Gemini II
Magnatone 460
Danelectro Encore (their tweed pro)
Silvertone 1433 (their tweed pro)
Standel 50X115
Low power tweed twin
Alamo almost anything
Gretsch 6165/66 (2x12, sweet amps, watery reverb and a trem sound that comes damn close by magnatone)
Fender brownface super (2x10)
Fender 2-input bassman (35 watt, mid 50s 4x10)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
...Cap'n Juan's the real "culprit" when it comes to turning us on to alternative and inexpensive amps. I knew nothing about those "alternatives", until only a week or two ago ( although I did know about the names).
I've been called worse... 8)

Eminently satisfying to have something that performs as well as, and at a fraction of the cost of, some brand-conscious poof's kit !
That's the nub of it; like a Guild guitar, you get more value out of it for the same/less money - in effect, it's 'worth' more than what you put in it.
In one sense, too bad about the YouTube Silvertone vid; going to push prices for the lesser-named tube amps. Speaking for myself, I'm never gonna be the player that I think people like JP, Krysh, Smithfield Fair, Steelpickin', GuildMark, PlaidSeason, and apologies to others if I left your name out are, or probably are. I'm never gonna be Ted Nugent, Stevie Vai, or Mike Bloomfield but, even for just a few minutes, if I could make that sound ...

Big power amps are arguably for Shea Stadium; I keep waiting to hear from my Agent about Shea but, frankly, I don't think I'm gonna make it. Modern amps offer power so real players can reach hundreds of people and tone variety so they can demonstrate their repetoires and versatility - since I don't have any of that, I don't have to worry about it.

In their quest for quality and tone, the Japanese bought gobs of US-made, high-end, tube stereo gear in the 60s and 70s in part because:

They needed a 'gold-standard' to determine whether their stuff was as good as, or better than, McIntosh and Marantz,

They admired and copied US manufacturing practices: mass production w/ good to very good quality, and

They were becoming wealthier and as the US turned to high-current transistor gear, they bought the stuff for practically nothing. Mac 75s (2XKT88, 75 watts mono) chromed up like early 60s Buicks, used to trade in the low $100s; now they bring +/- $1,000 ea for clean copies. Mac 75

Older, low-power tube amps don't have 'headroom' and, by themselves, don't offer a lot of tonal viariety but what they do have is that sound which, like cheese, comes in many varieties...

cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bump: Say the word....Silvertone 1482 now on eBay:
eBay 1482

silvertone1482b.jpg

Seller has Buy It Now only at $450, the whistle-clean 1482 in the other Silvertone thread Here sold in the mid-$300s.

Yikes; get 'me while they're hot...