1960 Magnatone 260 amplifier

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
OK, other than the price is this a desirable amp. Looks like the control knobs are on the back. A bit inconvenient.

http://images.craigslist.org/0101050103 ... 0061e4.jpg

01010501031101041020070709b53475ad845fd30bf70061e4.jpg
01011001020301030820070709f5793a855c8c3e53f5003506.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Subject to its general health, yes. Aspen Pittman of Groove Tubes blessed this make/model in his Amp Book. 'Maggies' have an enthusiastic following like Standel, Premier, National, Masco, and others.

Among other things, the amp is known for its Vibrato feature that alters the pitch of a note as opposed to Tremolo where the amplitude only is altered, more:
Vintage Guitar Article on Magnatone Amps

This model also known as the 26A; 2X6L6, 40-50 watts:
Model 26A Schematic

Lots more Magnatone information Here

Controls in back a left-over from the days when players stood behind; most early Fenders and Gibsons w/ controls in back. Feedback ???

cj

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I cannot see that link from here, but know enough to say yes, it is desirable. Depending on your taste of course. Lots of players don't know about Magnatone and don't care. As for me, they're some of the coolest amps ever made. My Twilighter 260, made in '62, is essentially the same amp. (Magnatone built rebranded 260s ... I think Twilighter was one of the earliest. Later they licensed that circuit to Laub and others.)

In stock form, the 260 is on the quiet side for 35 watts. Unique, truly amazing vibrato sound. Cathode bias. Very interesting controls (quite effective) and channel layout. Interactive volumes. Tonal character on the warm side ... does not sound like anything else. Replace the stock Oxford alnicos with something more efficient (for me, 2 x Cannabis Rex), and now you're talking. Hard to describe tone, lets just say this is one of the best-sounding amps I've ever played, and that's before the vibrato gets turned on.

For more info, check out the Magnatone/Valco list on Yahoo. Both my Magnatones came from members there, plus whatever I know about these cool amps.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Always been curious about them myself, but I've never had the opportunity to play through one. Very interested in the M-series suitcase-line, as well as the 213, 260, and 280.

This website which I'm sure you've seen is administered locally. Heard there's a shop as well. Got to stop in some time. http://www.vibroworld.com/magnatone/

Jahn

Reaction score
That site had a great explanation of tremolo versus vibrato. My Epi has a tremolo like a helicopter blade - severe CHOPCHOPCHOP hehe. Which is why I'm installing a Bigsby on my Gibson to get that nice smooth subtle vibrato warble. I admit to sucking too bad to get that B.B. King hand vibrato thing going on.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
JP:

All the maggies are worth checking out. I haven't tried them all, but so far the 260 is my favorite. It's the sound ... a unique clean tone, beautiful OD higher up. Excellent bass presence, at least with the CRexes I have in there. Way more volume than the the stock Oxfords. The 280 is quite different, not just because of the stereo setup. Uses different tubes I believe. Came stock with heavier duty Oxford speakers, still could use an upgrade. Stereo is sweet, but I prefer the 260 sound.

The suitcase models are out there, even for magnatone. I've played several, own an M10A. 12" speaker, 2 x 7189A (higher voltage, more rugged EL 84 type), two channels, one with vibe, great reverb, lots of interesting tone shaping options -- such as top boost on either or both channels, "stereo" switch for running through both channels (in mono actually). Think 18 watter from outer space. Not a typical EL84 sound at all. The tubes are different, hotter. Plus, the cab construction and layout (with a folded horn of some sort in there with the speaker) are unlike anything else, essentially a closed back cab. Once again, great amp as is, even better with a more efficient speaker. The vibe on the M10A is not much like the 260 effect. On the M10A, more chorusy sounding. Love this amp! It's not remotely like anything else, a great swampy screamer that gets some mighty strange looks until you plug in. Then everybody has questions ...

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Now I'm really intrigued maddog! When I dig myself out of my current pile of projects, I have to look into them. Thanks for the rundown. I do notice that many of the branded Maggies show up for sale here and there for less $$.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Mad Dog; nice description ... sounds like a terrific amp!
cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
With so many high-grade acoustic guitars up there, it sort of follows that there might be somewhat less interest. I betcha if it isn't killer now, some tinkering would make it so. Dang ... I think I'll try asking the seller if he'll deliver ... maybe not ... crap ...

Here I am again in this mean old town
And you're so far away from me
And where are you when the sun goes down
You're so far away from me ... So Far Away, Dire Straits
:cry:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dang !!

Now it's relisted at $500. Pics are of poor quaity but it looks a little rough.

Need a real good story explaining the importance of having a vintage tube amp. Preliminary discussions with my mate haven't been very promising, complicated a bit by a Sunburst G 37 that isn't even here yet. Any suggestions? :twisted:

Wonder what the T 5 would sound like thru this ? Prolly have to get a Starfire or a Manhattan to go with it huh.

1960 Magnatone 260 Amplifier! - $500

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/msg/378531940.html

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
If it isn't too far away, you might think about at least going to hear what Mad Dog is barking about. If in good working condition, it's worth at least what he's asking. I'd guess the seller just doesn't want the hassle of humping it to USPS / FedEx and associated shipping risk. It probably runs 45 - 65 pounds ... not for the faint of back.

J

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Bump: the schematic I have indicates this amp has 2X7868 output tubes. Many mfrs made changes on the fly. Nevertheless, the 7868 is in new production from ElectroHarmonix and there is alot of NOS around; $45-$50 each - must be matched. All things being equal and assuming modest use, you might get 15 years out of them with an over / under of 5 years.

The 6CG7 and 12AX7s are common and in good supply. The often bad-mouthed 6EU7 and the 6DR7 reverb driver are around; there are new 6EU7s from Sovtek, lots of older GEs too; the 6DR7 is NOS. - all these preamp tubes under $12/each.Duncan Amps Tube Locator ::: http://thetubestore.com/

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'd love to have one of those some day, when I can afford it. You don't see them in Europe at all, of course, and shipping one is probably not cheap.

I'm pretty sure Bo Diddley played one, and so did Lonnie Mack.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Capn:

Are you sure those 7686 tubes are on the 260260A schematic? I think those tubes were used in the 280 ... the few 260s I've come across use 6L6/5881.

On who plays maggies: I've heard there is a clip of Keith Richards in a studio with an M10A suitcase amp, but haven't seen it. Robert Cray owns and plays several. Buddy Holly used a 280 at some point, I think w/o the vibrato. Lonnie Mack did too. I think Lonnie was strongly influenced in that by Robert Ward, who used the 260 exclusively in his career. Take a listen to anything by Robert W. His 3 albums on Blacktop from the early/mid 90's (Fear No Evil being my favorite) give an excellent idea of what you can do with a strat and that maggie.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Estey also made guitar amps. I've got one that has a dual-pentode output tube, tremolo, vibrato, reverb and a 4 ohm, 12' speaker.

Did I mention that it's got woodgrain sides and metal edging like a dinette table?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mad dog said:
Capn:

Are you sure those 7686 tubes are on the 260260A schematic? I think those tubes were used in the 280 ... the few 260s I've come across use 6L6/5881.

On who plays maggies: I've heard there is a clip of Keith Richards in a studio with an M10A suitcase amp, but haven't seen it. Robert Cray owns and plays several. Buddy Holly used a 280 at some point, I think w/o the vibrato. Lonnie Mack did too. I think Lonnie was strongly influenced in that by Robert Ward, who used the 260 exclusively in his career. Take a listen to anything by Robert W. His 3 albums on Blacktop from the early/mid 90's (Fear No Evil being my favorite) give an excellent idea of what you can do with a strat and that maggie.

Aha !!

Someone who knows Robert Ward.

Pleased you I.D'd his amp model for us; I'd been wondering about that.

Notes from "Memphis Wham". Fraternity CDCHD 713............

"Mack had a sound in his mind and tried all sorts of things, such as putting a fan in front of or behind his amplifier, in attempts to get it.
Then he saw Ward perform using a Magnatone amp and 'That was it!' Mack got one too; the guitar playing on his finest soul ballads, and more besides, is directly informed by the distinctive tone which Robert Ward achieved on records by the Ohio Untouchables and the Falcons".

Robert Ward, by the way, opened for Lonnie Mack at concerts in 1991.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
mad dog said:
Capn:
Are you sure those 7686 tubes are on the 260260A schematic? I think those tubes were used in the 280 ... the few 260s I've come across use 6L6/5881....
Hi Mad Dog; I think you're right about the 5881s; I went back to Virbroworld and came up with:

This fragment below is from the schematic I downloaded from:
Vibroworld The words: "Model 26R (same as model 260)" appear on this page. Link to schematic: 26R/260 Schematic #1 indicating 7868s and multiple speakers:

Magnatone26026Ac.jpg

The fragment below is from the 26A schematic at 26A Schematic #2 Free Information Society. With my software, I can't get it any clearer but, in addition to the vibrato, it looks like 5881s although it doesn't layout speakers:

Magnatone26026Ad.jpg

The amp pictured below is a 'Unique 26R" manufactured by Laub Engineering:
Vibroworld
Laub26R.jpg

According to the discussion there: "...A 12AX7 is used for the phase inverter to drive a pair of 7868 power tubes. The 26R's output transformer has a 4-ohm secondary and drives 2 12-inch, 8-ohm speakers. There is a footswitch jack for the reverb/vibrato on/off and a preamp out jack labeled "Booster Amplifier." So, whatever a 'Unique' is, it's got the 7868s.

My confusion came from the words: "Model 26R (same as model 260)" where the words 'Model 26R'are hot-linked on the webpage to the schematic I identified as Schematic 1 above (7868s) even though the words 'same as model 260' refer to a Magnatone model 260. The 7868 schematic/pinouts are similar to an EL84; nothing like a 5881. Based on all this, I'd say you're right; the more popular Maggie 260 likely has the 5881s and the more obscure Laub 26R is the amp with the 7868s.

Regards,
cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
Estey also made guitar amps. I've got one that has a dual-pentode output tube, tremolo, vibrato, reverb and a 4 ohm, 12' speaker.

Hi Default: This is link to a webpage devoted to Magnatone - Estey gear: Vibroworld What model is it? What is it using for an output tube?

Did I mention that it's got woodgrain sides and metal edging like a dinette table?

Hmm...sounds...eh...nice...in fact as nice as the Guild Thunderbirds that also feature the stick-'em-on 'siding' and edge-banding... I'd say 'sweet' but I might not mean it :wink:

Got any pics of your Estey?

BTW: 'Default' - that's a catchy screen name ... stay up all night working on it? Maybe you're really Dick Cheney trying to stay off the radar screen...only kidding... :)

regards, cj