After shave & Guild nitro finishes.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Stopped in to see Jerry today & pick a while. He was almost comatose from meds & it took about 45 minutes for him to come to. Nursing homes are pretty sad places.

He was cryin the blues, seems he was getting ready to go out & sing at a wedding a few days ago & spilled after shave on old Midnite the black D 25.

Don't know what's in aftershave but it does eat Guild finish, didn't go thru to the wood, only because Jerry saw it in time & wiped it off. Sure did etch the top layer of finish. Isn't really too bad but it's right on top opposite the pickguard.

Maybe a little polishing compound will buff it out, then again it might just polish it right thru to the bare wood. Bare wood would sure enough show up on a jet black top.

[img:338:450]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid219/p2b5c3ccf696a1ed5bd6bee4e9ba8bbc9/ebe6952c.jpg[/img] Pic here is prior to aftershave treatment.

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff,
Why don't you look at the finish condition with a stereo boom microscope. I know you have one stashed somewhere!!

In case you are not familiar with that type of scope, it looks like this.

yhst-40216292266629_1863_800603.jpg

I am not suggesting that you buy one (that one is just under $700.00). If you could find someone that had one you could use, you could determine how deep the etch is. If it was shallow enough you could polish it out. If it was too deep to polish out you could use the Stewmac Lacquer stick repair kit to repair it.

It seems like you found a real good deal on that one, so you might not want to raise it's price too much by buying a expensive repair kit.

However, if that black beauty was mine I would be wanting to take it back to like new condition.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Repair_and_touchup/1/Lacquer_Stick_Finish_Repair.html

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well hello Curtis, where in the heck have you been. We thought you fell off the face of the Earth. Good to see you back. :)

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes P, it's been good to see you around. I was looking at my little bottle of Nitro tabs yesterday & you came to mind. True story, strange but true.

I did get a criminal deal on that D 25 & it's in a good place, It sings for Jerry darn nice. All a guy has to do is listen to Jerry play & sing John Denver's "This Old Guitar" & you'd lose interest in ever getting it back. I should try & record him doin it, & make you all cry. I did.

I received a bit of a boost as well, Jerry mentioned he wasn't sure he had Midnite tuned to 440 & we used my F20 to bring it up to pitch. That's a switch for this farm boy.

He also told me a grand tale; seems he has a letter from John Denver giving Jerry permission to play Denver's songs. I've not seen the letter but it was a good story. Regardless, it would have been a good move on Denver's part, Jerry sings John Denver's songs really nice & knows a bunch of em.
[img:150:238]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Magnifying_glass.jpg/150px-Magnifying_glass.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the tip on the scope P, I'm thinking; $7.95, genuine Chinese manufactured magnifying glass is more'n enuff to analyze the problem.

Actually with the right light I think I can get pictures good enough to illustrate the issue. Seems the black layer underneath is still 90%. Aqua Velva or whatever it was etched the clear top coat. Looks like perhaps a Margarita splash left to dry. Yeah, lime juice & salt splash, left to dry is a good visual. Past experience is telling me keep it waxed & leave it alone.

Really, ole Midnite is a nice playing guitar, she stays that way as long as Jerry's is able & she's earned her keep. Jerry's a bit upset about the minor cosmetic blemish, I'm not, figure there's more to come. :cry: So far my observation is D 25's are pretty tough.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
FYI, especially you campfire singers, mosquito dope eats through the nitro finish too :cry:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Re:

Jeff said:
I should try & record him doin it, & make you all cry. I did.

Regardless, it would have been a good move on Denver's part, Jerry sings John Denver's songs really nice & knows a bunch of em.

I agree that it would have been a good move on John's part, and I'll bet Jerry's cover of that song would make John Denver cry too.

Thanks for the welcome back you guys. Like I told West, a new job on the "Secure Borders Initiative" program, home remodeling, playing in the band at church, and keeping up with a 14 year old daughter and a 12 year old son AND a wife has been keeping me very busy.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
P,

I told my wife that you're working on the "Secure Borders Initiative", she said to tell you "good" and "thanks"!

West

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Tell her she is very welcome!!

I made a short trip to Salt Lake City this week for a design review on modifications to the border patrol vehicles.

Standing in line (in the Cattle Pin) for security Friday and saw a youngster with a guitar case. I said, "What's in the box". Little Smarta$$ said, "a violin"! :roll: