Headstock Inlay

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Girl_Disk_FULL.jpg

This is the headstock inlay I have chosen for the new guitar I am having built. I cant decide on wich one however! Your opinions please....the one on the left is the one I am leaning towards but, I also could get to like the other. Here is the link to the supplies site. You may enjoy browsing. :)

http://www.luthiersupply.com/

The guitar will have a Eroupean Spruce top, mahogany sides and back,
Tortise binding, Abolone rosette, and position markers, ebony bridge,headstock and fingerboard and pickgaurd and black grover turners. :D :D

oh yeah....Moose antler saddle!

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
http://www.collinsguitars.com/

My good friend and former bandmate Mike Collins is building it. Mike was invited to show his wares at the Montreal Guitar Show this past week( July 6-8th) it was quite an honour for Mike to be invited to attend as its an invitation only event for the builders, and one that is well deserved.
I believe that he brought about a half dozen of his guitars. Thanks for your input. :D Thats the one I like as well!! :D

espresso1971

Reaction score
:shock: Hey! Nudity and nakedness!

I am leaning towards the one on the left. Thought I liked the one on the right, it has a "Japanese" art work look to it (I think the colors made that pop into my head) but I like the colors moreso on the left one. Very nice shell work! 8)

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
My thought would be,

Are you using Mother of Pearl, or Abalone, inlay/fretmarkers/whatever on the rest of the guitar?

I'd match it up.

But, it's your guitar. :D

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The right-hand one.

It looks "stronger" and immediately engages the eye.

The left hand-one looks a little "washed out"; you somehow have to look at it longer to "see" it, whereas the r/h one is immediately "visual".

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, folks.
I am using abolone for the rosette and position markers on ebony headstock and fretboard and bridge.....keep em' coming :)

Grahm, where did you get that pic of my Mrs. ?? :shock:

Jahn

Reaction score
the one on the right looks more complex - go for that one!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I like the one on the right too because the colors scheme makes is more stylized--less liek it's trying for realism. Very nice design. :)

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Celtic_Rose_Paua_FULL.jpg

Here is the rosette that I am considering...
You like??, I like.....opionins please :)
Thanks! ( isn't going into debt fun!!!! ) :lol:

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I think it's gorgeous, Steelie! Looks celtic to me, which is fine. And it goes well with the headstock inlay you were leaning toward - on the left - more than the one on the right.

We're anxious to see the finished product! Congratulations!

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Yes GuildMark, its Celtic wich goes with my heritage as well!
I like the way it compliments the colours in the headstock inlay ( the one on the left) hah! Construction is still in the early stages and I wont have it till May or June of "08" thats ok, hopefully it will worth the wait! :D
Since the luthier is a good friend and former bandmate and just lives about eight miles from me,...I plan on posting a pictoral of the construction process.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
Steelpickin' said:
Girl_Disk_FULL.jpg

This is the headstock inlay I have chosen for the new guitar I am having built. I cant decide on wich one however! Your opinions please....the one on the left is the one I am leaning towards but, I also could get to like the other. Here is the link to the supplies site. You may enjoy browsing. :)

http://www.luthiersupply.com/

The guitar will have a Eroupean Spruce top, mahogany sides and back,
Tortise binding, Abolone rosette, and position markers, ebony bridge,headstock and fingerboard and pickgaurd and black grover turners. :D :D

oh yeah....Moose antler saddle!

hey steelpickin,

from an architect and design point of view I would definitively thake the right one.
as coastie said it is much stronger. And it also more abstract, therefore it is not as "fashionable" as the left more "naturalistic" one. It'll also fit much better to the black mechanics, because of its better contrast and will probably also fit better to the spruce top.

my 2 cents.

all the best and congrats to the new guitar

michael

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Steelpickin' said:
Celtic_Rose_Paua_FULL.jpg

Here is the rosette that I am considering...
You like??, I like.....opionins please :)
Thanks! ( isn't going into debt fun!!!! ) :lol:

I do like, but not on a Spruce top and with Tortoiseshell binding.
I don't think Spruce and Paua (Abalone) are the best of companions.

I'd go with something to compliment the Spruce more. Don't quite know what, but I'd know it immediately if I saw it.

I'm still totally convinced that the r/h headstock inlay is the correct one. Personally, I'd work backwards from there.