Small Tube Amp?

dklsplace

Reaction score
Just realized this had been in the Miscellaneous category. Moved to Amps & Effects.

Jahn

Reaction score
Wish me luck folks, my blue epiphone's ready at the shop, gonna pick it up tonight. He said the only thing iffy about it now is that the speaker's a bit ratty since it's the original, but it's up to me if i like the sound or not - doesn't NEED a reconing or anything, just a bit looseygoosey. Who knows what the heck that means, but I'm gonna find out!

Jahn

Reaction score
It's here! And the guy ID'd it, it's an Epiphone Model 1878. It can get down and dirty, but nice and clean too - Did all that with a Starfire VI in the shop cranked. At home, as you can see my kid's climbing over me so I did an extremely short and distracted riff just testing the grunge, tremolo and fadeout. The amp sounds much better not played into my tinny onboard mic on the point and shoot camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaGnGspbTc8

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Just realized this had been in the Miscellaneous category. Moved to Amps & Effects.
Thanks Don. J

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Jahn,
Is the neck on your ES-135 more like a chunky 50s gibson neck or a slim 60s neck profile? Or maybe somewhere in between like a Guild?

Jahn

Reaction score
definitely fills up your palm like a guild, but it's narrower than a guild too - so i guess it's like a sharp C shape. not a baseball bat, but still clubby. my 70's LP has a more slim neck profile than the ES135. it's kinda like between my electric and acoustic in shape - that goes for the sound too!

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey jahn,

yes, sounds much better, congrats for yout new family member :wink:
nice acoustic work in the other videos, too.

all the best

michael

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jahn said:
...groovy!...
Groovy indeed; remarkable what can done with +/- 5 watts. This is a link to Ted Weber's Buy/Sell BB appended to his website: http://www.webervst.com/bns/ There are lots of pedals, gadgets, and recording gear not to mention amps and guitars bought and sold here. The 'regulars' are pretty hard on each other (Guild Mounties?) and you don't hear much about them ripping each other off. Danelectro DanEcho for cheap-but-decent reverb; also can get inexpensive distortion and all the other effects for reasonable $$.

At the risk of sounding like a Weber commerical, Weber doesn't just copy the Jensen 50s/60s designs, they are near 'forgeries'; that is, as close as you can get to vintage Jensen alnicos and ceramics except they are new, good-sounding, and with a reasonable expectation of a useful life which can't be said for the older stuff on the Bay. If they work, you have to treat them like a case of 100 year-old wine ... sparingly.

J
cj

Jahn

Reaction score
already i can see this amp being my go-to electric rig, since it's smaller. the big Twin 'verb upstairs is only for when the family isn't around (which is never) and it's too big to lug downstairs and play quietly. this lil epi actually fits on my bookshelf, so i just have to tiptoe downstairs, pull it off the shelf, and bingo a little plinky time. convenient! can't wait until all the junk comes for the ES135 so i can stash that under the sofa downstairs and pull it out at will.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
RE: Epi Video

Pretty chord progression & nice touch.

I figured out most of the progression. How much trouble would it be for you to post the chords. I'm losing it in the middle.

Jahn

Reaction score
Hi Jeff, it looks like an Am, Dm7 G, Em7 Am, Funky looking F. Cycle through that 'till the last chord which is an Am. Ain't no money past the 3rd fret!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jahn said:
Ain't no money past the 3rd fret!

I know, I know, not likely there will ever be much money coming in from my playing. When you suffer from serious challenges as I do, piddling around up the neck fools more people. For a little while at least. Am scale at the 5th fret was where I went to entertain myself while attempting to play along.

Thanks for posting up the chords. The funky F is where I was getting lost. Still lost, but getting closer, I suspect ""Funky F" isn't on my chord chart.

Jahn

Reaction score
Yeah, I couldn't read music for guitars to save my life (on saxophone back in the day however, didn't seem to be a prob, but don't get the occassion to bust that out these days). Never did even learn how to use tabs or chord charts either - just picked up shapes from friends in college and went from there, and most of the basic chords i just fiddle with by adding a pinky or taking off a finger barre or whatever - does that make it "sus" or "7" or "dim"? I have no idea! and then i scoot those same shapes up and down the fretboard.

I should REALLY learn some scales someday so i can try soloing or something, but my eyes start to glaze over when googling "mixolidean" or whatever, ugh.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
All I remember from my clarinet days was, because of the reed thingy, to avoid chewing gum while playing ...