"stopping hollowbody feedback" question

northbayj

Reaction score
Feedback's a problem? :mrgreen:

OK, I stole that one from... Ted Nugent, I think. I remember an interview from a long time ago, must've been Guitar Player.

Interview dude: You play a hollowbody Byrdland. Isn't feedback problem?
Uncle Ted: Problem? Whaddya mean, "problem"???

Kap'n

Reaction score
Potting pickups gets rid of high pitched microphonic squeal. Different from hollowbody feedback.

Unless you're playing stupid loud, or with a lot of gain, you can control feedback with good left and right hand damping technique. A benefit is that you can get feedback easily and controlled, when you want it.

An alternative I've heard of to rags, foam or tape is blowing up a balloon inside the guitar.

Scotter

Reaction score
If you use helium in the balloon, your guitar will weigh less and you can play those REALLY high parts! :mrgreen:

Get back, Loretta!

Scottie

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
northbayj said:
Feedback's a problem? :mrgreen:

OK, I stole that one from... Ted Nugent, I think. I remember an interview from a long time ago, must've been Guitar Player.

Interview dude: You play a hollowbody Byrdland. Isn't feedback problem?
Uncle Ted: Problem? Whaddya mean, "problem"???
The Onion said:
People say lots of crazy things when they're Ted Nugent.

:lol:

danerectal

Reaction score
I don't know if I heard right, but either the Nuge or George Thorogood used newspapers to stuff. I wonder if you can use tissues like the girls used to in Junior High...

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I don't own a hollow body, but just borrowed one from a buddy. A 50s Kay thinline. He actually stuffed a large black garbage bag into the one F hole (there's only one on this model. Quite a downscale look, but damn if it doesn't work. I can sit across the room, facing my amp, and have only a bit more feedback than I get with an ES-335 in the same position and volume. I suppose this is the equivalent of putting foam in the F-hole?

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Isn't there some kind of saying about whether one is able to "pick his way out of a plastic bag" ? :lol: !