that,not at the prices of them. It's much more likeley to be veneered or
realistically plywood.

All help appreciated.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
The "E" likely stands for "Electric" meaning it came with a factory installed pickup.

The arched back is not carved, it is laminated and pressed into that shape. It is not "plywood" as such, it is cross-grained plys of the same mahogany you have on the outer surface, so its all made from good tonewood through and through.

I love my '76 D-25, excellent tone, I think the arched back has a lot to do with it.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
drednut said:
The "E" likely stands for "Electric" meaning it came with a factory installed pickup.

Most likely! And if the guitar is indeed from 1978, the installed pickup is usually a pair of Barcus Berry 'Hot-Dots. Look for the white dots at either end of the bridge saddle.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Howdy, revilogibson!

My G-312-ENT is from '78 and the two Hot-Dots are exactly what the factory installed in it. If that's what yours has you will need a pre-amp. There is not enough signal generated by the Hot-Dots alone - at least there has never been in mine. Guild knew this, which is why mine also came with an external Barcus-Berry pre-amp, which I still use. There are many good pre-amps to choose from, of course, and they will all work. There has been some discussion about them on this forum. I have heard many good things about Fishman, BBE (formerly Barcus-Berry), K&K, and I have personally been thinking of getting the L.R. Baggs Parametric DI to provide pre-amp and other functions. Be sure to let us know how it works out for you when you get the guitar! And congrats! :D

Oh :!: P.S. - the factory-installed endpin jack in my '78 was a 3.5mm mini jack! If yours has that, too, I would love to know! Over the years it has been nearly impossible to find a quality, ready-made cord in that configuration - mini plug on one end, ¼" phone plug on the other. Recently I made yet another new one which is working very satisfactorily, and I'm guarding it very carefully! :evil: But I'm also planning to have the old endpin jack replaced by a local luthier this summer. I guess it's about time!