Folk at the Oak

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
I'm not good at posting a new topic - did one last night and it's disappeared into the wild blue yonder. I'm guessing because I didn't title it :oops:

Anyway, gist of the message was Thursday night I was heading off to the Royal Oak, Corsham for the Thursday night session. Difference being last night some digital radio station called Britfolk was going to record the session. Thought that might put people off, but no, when I got there, place was packed, and people I hadn't seen for years and people I'd never seen before were there along with the usual crowd :!:

I got one song in - up on stage with a barrage of mikes and a guy recording it all on something like a spaceship console. Final program (don't know release date yet) will be one hour, and whole session recorded was 2 1/2 hours, so don't know if my effort will end up on the cuttingroom floor. However, we may all get a CD of the night so if so, I will try and find some way of uploading my poor offering onto somewhere you can access it - that is so long as when I hear it it doesn't embarrass me too much :roll: Least you'd get to hear the guitar even if the guy playing it is not worthy of it.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
That sounds like mounds of fun, JerryR! Can't wait to hear it! Were there any performers who stood out (other than yourself, of course) that we should watch for?

http://www.radiobritfolkhome.co.uk/

Looks like a pretty cool station. I've only begun to learn of the British folk scene history, like the YouTube someone recently posted of John Joyce. But I'm sure liking what I'm hearing in all the things I missed when they were happening! :?

Cheers!

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
That sounds like mounds of fun, JerryR! Can't wait to hear it! Were there any performers who stood out (other than yourself, of course) that we should watch for?

http://www.radiobritfolkhome.co.uk/

Looks like a pretty cool station. I've only begun to learn of the British folk scene history, like the YouTube someone recently posted of John Joyce. But I'm sure liking what I'm hearing in all the things I missed when they were happening! :?

Cheers!

Hi Guild

Looks like an internet station - you'll find it if you Google 'Britfolk'. Not sure if you actually have to join and pay a membership to hear it or of that'll only apply to archive stuff. They seem to have two levels of membership, £2 ($4) per month and £5 ($10) per month - guess if I have to pay to hear it I'll cancel after a month - my maternal ancestry is Scots :!:

Anyways - yes we have some really good people in the club. Ray Bradfield and Paul Rogers are both excellent guitarists and songwriters (Paul came second in the country for a songwriting competition last year for his song 'Cold'). Then Frank and his wife (announced under some name I'd never heard of) doing blues. Andrew Basley - local blues legend as well. Graham and Sandy Ball who run the club are real good also, and ther's also Geoff Fry and his lady Susie. Then we had some good visitors whose name I don't know, including a guy called Richard (I think). I'd met Richard in Vintage and Rare Guitars in Bath - he was buying an Ovation when I bought the Guild D35. He is an excellent guitarist - he accompanied Diana who also writes her own songs. He told me he'd really wanted the Guild but couldn't afford it so bought the Ovation :!: :!:

So I'm surrounded by all this talent which really gives me an inferiority complex - I'm way down the pecking order and on a good day might class as 'average'. I've only ever written about 4 or 5 songs, and mainly do fairly traditional stuff. I'm not expecting my one recorded song to get into the 1 hour broadcast (Spancil Hill), but hoping to get a CD of the whole night. If so, hopefully you techie types (like Graham) can tell me how to load it somewhere you can access it - if you want to.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looking at the website looks like you can click on current audio without becoming a member (I hope). The program isn't listed yet so still not sure when it will be available - they'll have to edit it somewhat but even if (especially if) I'm edited out it will be worth a listen cos there's some good guys playing.

If I'm edited out but get a CD of the whole evening, I'll need help to put it where you'all can hear it.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Update

Asked around at the Oak on Thurdsay - appears the Britfolk broadcast won't be til the autumn (UK: autumn, season of mists and mellow fruitfulness. US: fall - leaves fall off trees. Yeah, OK I've been to New England in the fall, and mighty pretty too, and all those pumpkin fields).

Meanwhile, the rains stopped and the clouds parted here today and there was a great glowing thing in the sky. Much alarm (it being about the 60th anniversary of the Roswell incident), but then some ancient inhabitant of the village said their Granny had mentioned seeing such a thing once and it was called the 'sun'. However, normal weather is due to resume with plenty of rain, ready for the play next week. I will keep you all posted with boring details and any disasters that befall.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Another good 'Folk at the Oak' night last night - happened to be the 6th birthday of the founding of the club - suppose I've been going there 3 years now. Got 3 songs done (seemed well received) but still no word of the Britfolk recording coming out darn it :(

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
We had 'spotlight night' last night (up on stage and in the lights) - a great Canadian couple from 'Torono' dropped in - though if you look on their website they list that 'drop in' as part of their tour :!: They seem to tour Canada, US, Europe including UK - Ben Deschamps and Heather Dale - well worth listening to if in your vicinity. They admired my Guild - sadly didn't play one themselves :)

http://www.heatherdale.com links to their website.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Last spotlight night of the season last night. Did Ruby Tuesday, Sound of Silence - and a folky one you'll never have heard of but has a good punchy tune 'Captain Weatherburn'. Darstardly swine wants to bed the Laird of Rosselyn's daughter - she sets him 6 questions - he gives the 6 answers, and 'lies her next to the wall' :twisted:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
Video/audio, Jer?

Nah

No one there with a camera or other recording device :D - but there were some good players there so some of it would have been worth listening too :D

You must have an interesting job Ken - you seem to travel a lot during the week :?:

I'll be really on stage week starting July 7th as 'Alls well that ends well' is on at Hazelbury Manor - Shakespeare Live cast. Don't have many lines to forget thius time :roll: Duke of Florence - just call me Flo :mrgreen:

http://www.shakespearelive.com/

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Living out of hotel rooms and suitcases not so much fun anymore, but I like my work. I usually get back to the room in the evenings and turn on LTG. The worst thing is, I'm not playing much and I'm losing my callouses! Home for two weeks this time, then on the road again.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
Living out of hotel rooms and suitcases not so much fun anymore, but I like my work. I usually get back to the room in the evenings and turn on LTG. The worst thing is, I'm not playing much and I'm losing my callouses! Home for two weeks this time, then on the road again.

Need a travelling guitar - too bad Guild don't make one :)

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
Scratch said:

Need a travelling guitar - too bad Guild don't make one :)

Most airlines are now allowing just one carry-on. I carry a laptop with my workstuff, so the guitar is relegated to the baggage monkeys (now for an additional fee!). Last time I trusted one to them (Taylor 314 - since sold), they beat the heck out of the case; guitar survived OK.

I almost bought a GAD 000 sized 30, but found a good deal on a Martin 000-18 that I bought just for trips. It came with a chipboard case. Just purchased a TKL case for it. Think I might try to take it on my next trip in mid-July. No way I'll trust my Guilds to those guys...

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well thank you sir

But I know Jim and others would worry my belt buckle would cause buckle rash (although I always hold it so it doesn't) and if I take my belt off - my pants might fall down :!: So I'd feel happier with my own guitar as I'd worry about damaging someone else's :roll:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:D Leave the belt in the hotel room Jerry and we'll bring which ever guitar you want to play. We're no Guilds of Grot, but I think between Kenny and myself, we've got 17 or 18 to choose from, take your pick. We'll get ya fixed up.

West