ok then, what song are you perfecting right now?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Tenth Avenue Freeze Out" by Bruce Springsteen and "Miss You" by the Stones.

Does it count if I'm learning them on bass for the band?
(It's a Guild bass!)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Of course it counts, Grot!

Boy, what an eclectic bunch of songs. Anyone know how we could produce a geezer compilation cd, remotely?

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
I think you guys are wayyyyyyyy out of my league. :oops:
I was gonna try and video my self this weekend and see if I could post in my Photo bucket account....not I'm not so sure. Guitar is not my #1
inst. :?

RussD

Reaction score
Guild Total
Steelpickin' - While some of us have undoubtedly been kicked out of a league or two, we're all here because of our affection for these silly instruments.

Play it and post it, bud! We'll give you positive feedback and, if you really, really screw up, tease you mercilessly, at least 'til we have to post our own!

Besides, you own cooler guitars than 99.9% of the rest of the world... and we want to see 'em.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Steel, sure would like to hear some of that pedal steel! Just thinking the other day how cool it would be to add a pedal steel to the band - we do alot of Commander Cody, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Pure Prairie League, Marshall Tucker, etc.

NRPS did the hottest version of "Hello Mary Lou" ever, with Jerry Garcia on the pedal steel, check it out.

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Hey Drednut,
Love that type of music. Thats mostly what I play. NRPS, Comander Cody,Grahm Parsons and The Fallen Angles.......
BTW, as a steel player I'm pretty sure Buddy Cage played on Hello Marylou with the Riders. He came along after Jerry Garcia. At least on the couple of versions that I have. A great tune to play. ALso love to play Panama Red!..Garcia did the famous steel guitar lick on "Teach Your Children" Cros, Stills, Nash,Young. The first exposure that a lot of us old hippies had to pedal steel. :) ...thanks for the encouragment!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
yeah, Steel, I got to play with a pedal steel player at a wedding a few years ago, what a blast, it was a real old dude who didn't miss a beat :D

I've thought about taking it up, but if I bring home one more instrument my wife might become my ex-wife :roll:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dredster,

If it will get you out of a bind with the little misses, you'd better send me that DV52. I'd just hate to have your instruments get between you and the one you love.

If I can remove some stress, let me know. I'm just thinking of you.

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tell ya what West, I don't think she'd complain if I traded the -52 for, say, a -73 :D Either way, at some point, we have to get those two guitars together, might have to use my frequent flyer miles to go to the LTG gig...

We love to do Panama Red, sure would be cool with pedal steel! Another one I love to do is "Henry". The p.s. would sound nice on CSNY "Teach Your Children" too. In fact, I could sit here all night and list songs the pedal steel would sound nice on.

Our Bluegrass band consists of guitar, mandolin, standup bass, 5-string banjo, and fiddle :D

It still amazes me how each different instrument adds a whole new dimension to the sound. Like a lot of times you don't think about the bass, but let him rest for a minute and the bottom drops out. IMHO, some of the best playing happens when your instrument is so subtle that no one is thinking about it, yet they sure would miss it if it were gone :D

We often play around the campfire at a friend's private lake in the summer, last year we had the privilege of having 2 string players from the local symphony play along with us, he played the violin and she played the viola. It was magic that night, all the boats on the lake pulled up close to shore to listen :D I never want to do "Nights in White Satin" again without a string section :cry:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:D If you've got frequent flyer miles, you need to use them in October Dred. Can you really think of a beeter use for them?

I'll bet the strings did sound great. Someone usually brings one or two fiddles to bluegrass night at the bookstore, I'm just not that much into bluegrass. It's not that I don't like it, I'm just not real familiar with many of their songs. About as close as I come to bluegrass is "Paradise".

West

Jahn

Reaction score
Far from perfecting, but I was headed home on the subway reading that "Acoustic Guitar" rag and hey there's a bit on "Alison" by Elvis Costello with chords for dummies. So I head home and put it into my digicam today - everyone always says YouTube is cool, so this is my first shot at the tune and putting something up on the 'tube too. Yeah, just strumming and catching up with chords and such, so this one's going to need plenty of work, hehe!

Go, F312, Go!

I woulda put this in the gigging subforum, but I don't think sitting on your bed playing out of Acoustic Guitar magazine counts as "gigging" per se 8)

Jahn

Reaction score
Yep! I got it because Tony Rice was on the cover, but hey, nice lil nugget in the back! I basically didn't give the F312 a chance to breathe on that take, but the last chord shows you how long the overtones and sustain last - which is Forever. This lil Guild sounds better live than thru my digicam too of course!

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Nice stuff, Thanks for posting. :)
I just got some tunes from my camera on to my hard drive,
Hope its not too hard to figure out to upload them to youtube or photobucket.( not very computer savy ) :)

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good Job Jahn, wow the sustain on your F312 is nice. Don't hesitate to put some more stuff on, nice to see others from the forum doing what we love to do and since miles keep us from getting together, it's a great avenue.

Steelpickin,
If ya got your stuff from your cam to your computer, you got the battle won. Looking forward to seeing your clips.

doc

Reaction score
Ok I will confess my sins, well someone ought to do something for the way I am going:

One by U2
I Will Follow You Into the Darkness by Death Cab For Cutie Lyrics
Heart of Gold by Neil Young
From the Beginning by Emerson Lake And Palmer

that will do for now am I forgiven? Oh, using my D-25 Hog
8)

Reaction score
Where can I find the words to "Remember When" by Allan Jackson? I can't sing at all but I want to try & give it a whirl on a few things. 8)