ok then, what song are you perfecting right now?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Recently got Prine's "Long Monday" polished up pretty nicely.

Working on an old song written by a Methodist preacher in 1901 " What're They Doing In Heaven Today", recently recorded by Jorma Kaukonen.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
"For Everyman"
Jackson Browne

Just curious Mark, what are you working on with that? I think you've already got that one nailed down.

brown_nose.jpg

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
john_kidder said:
"Skylark", Hoagy Carmichael, 1935
While we're on Hoagy, his pre-Ray Charles "Georgia on my Mind"; just nailed Patsy Cline's "Crazy".

68tele

Reaction score
"Cry Me a River"

Julie London and Tony T.'s original arrangement --just great!

Did you know she was the first to record that tune and that it was written by a guy she went to high school with?

Ed

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
O.K.... so how can we exchange this stuff? I can make a PDF of mine....

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey, Cal, did you know Willie Nelson wrote "Crazy"?

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Can't say I ever perfect a song, just get it to the best of my limited ability. Most recent completed thatway is an old song called 'Lovely on the water' - but without the beautiful fingering Steeleye Span did on - what - an electric manda?

I'm still trying to cover a song written by one of the best guitarist/songwriters I personally know (you wouldn't know him - man called Ray Bradfield), but quite apart from his technique it has a couple of chords that even though he's written them down and I put my fingers on the strings one by one, I still can't get to sound right - so I've had to substitute a couple of others I can do. Still not a patch on his version though. Song is called 'Montague John', a cheerful ballad about Jack the Ripper!

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham said:
Guildmark said:
"For Everyman"
Jackson Browne

Just curious Mark, what are you working on with that? I think you've already got that one nailed down.

I just haven't got the thing polished from start to end, Graham, and it isn't memorized. (Not that that ever stopped me.) Drop-D is a little new to me, too. So I'm taking it slowly.

Have you recorded your nailed one yet? Curious minds and all that .... :)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
An old Marshall Tucker song, but one of my all time favorites. "In My Own Way". We had a class reunion party this weekend. I think there were around 175 people that showed.

Friday night was at a guy's studio who is into advertising and does local commercials. His place was unbelievable, complete with soundstage, studio and PA system. After a couple of beers, I was talked into playing and had intentions of doing 1 song and getting the heck off, but actually got coaxed into about 6 or 7 songs. I tried "In My Own Way" on them, it was very popular with my high school friends. Major hit! Man, what fun.

West

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm learning the song "Django" written by John Lewis of the Modern Jazz Quartet. A long time ago a friend gave me a tape of the Kenny Drew Trio playing a version live. I don't know who's playing guitar, but the intro played on a classical or Selmer-type guitar is simply amazing.

RussD

Reaction score
Guild Total
JP, I think Wayne Johnson played on the Elegy album.

Have you heard John McLaughlin and Jeff Beck trade off leads on "Django?" It's on McLaughlin's "Promise" cd.

Nice tune for either of those beauties in your avatar!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Russ,

I checked out his website, and it sounds like his style. The songlist for that record matches the tape, so that must be him. Thanks for the info.

No I haven't heard that recording, but I'll check it out--two monster players!