local luthiers

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have you been to anyone's shop local to you? I stop at now & then are Del Langejans in Holland, MI, and Galloup Guitars in Big Rapids, MI. They both craft guitars starting around $3,000.00, way out of my price range :shock: but great guitars nonetheless. They both have websites, check 'em out. Bryan Galloup told me he only builds about 15 guitars a year.

I bought a couple instruments several years ago from an old guy who I met at a festivel we were playing, he built mandolins mainly, but also banjos, guitars, dobros, etc. He invited me over, and I was pretty impressed, he had a real manufacturing facility set up in the pole barn behind his house. He sez " I got 50 mandolins going right now", and he showed me all the backs he'd carved, "this one's rock maple, this one's michigan maple, this one's black walnut, this one's birdseye maple...". He also had little cubbyholes with old, select pieces of spruce he was using for the tops, real tight grain with no imperfections.

I came back when he was finished with some and bought the birdseye maple one, it's a thing of beauty. Now, he ain't no Del or Bryan, but his stuff was pretty nice. I played a few, and not only was the birdseye one the nicest looking, it screamed :D "Whaddya gotta have for this one, Martin?" He sez, well for you, $250.00. :shock: I laid 250 clams on him, real quick.
I also bought a nice 5-string banjo from him later. He's retired now, but what fun that was :D

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The only ones I have had direct conversations with are Kevin Ryan in Westminster, CA. He is pretty well known. And Erv Tibbs, whose first guitar was recently finished. I think I posted some pictures. Erv is now beginning a guitar for my daughter. It will be an OM shape with Venetian cutaway, and it will be body/sides of bubinga. The rest of the design will probaly be his artistic choice. My daughter does not know any of this yet. Please do not ask the price - you won't believe me.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
gee whiz Mark, nothing like throwing down the gauntlet on the cost of that sweet new guitar :?

Sounds nice tho, do you have any input as to the inlay, etc? Of course, we want to see pics when its done...

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
No intention of throwing a gauntlet, dred. It's just sort of an arrangement twixt Erv and me.

I'm leaving most of the decorative features to Erv. Freedom of artistic expression. He likes to focus on mostly wood mixes. I suspect the inlays will be color and contrast between different types of light and dark wood, with only a little MOP or abalone. That's what apeals to my daughter, too, so I'm confident the result will be mutually satisfying. It's likely to take 3-4 months, but I'll definitely share photos when it's delivered.

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
It's likely to take 3-4 months, but I'll definitely share photos when it's delivered.

Can't wait to see it -- I'm thinkin' dinner near your place with a little session after.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
california91207 said:
Can't wait to see it -- I'm thinkin' dinner near your place with a little session after.

Deal!

Hey, David! (Or anybody else in SoCal) If you're not busy Sunday, June 3 - think about driving down to the OC for the Celebration of the Arts in Yorba Linda. There will be four stages operating between the Community Center and the Lasorda Field House, with continuous performances on all 4 stages. Some of the guys you met at the open mike will be playing, and I'll be on from about 2:30 inside the Community Center. The whole festival runs from 11 - 4. There are also many booths of artists, photographers, jewelers, authors, and others. Free admission and free parking. Plenty of food vendors, too. If the weather is as nice as it's been, it'll be a great day!

More info here!

fungusyoung

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been fortunate enough to have Frank Finocchio do work on most of my acoustics. I'll be stopping in to see him shortly for a couple things. Always a pleasure to deal with and first class work. He not only builds, but teaches the art of building too:

http://www.finocchioguitar.com/

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I still want to call the Guild Custom Shop in Nashville and get'em to build me a custom, then make the drive to Nashville and pick it up!......WOW, now that would be a great trip. If I ever win the lottery.

West