Roland Cubes

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for one of these, aside from the wattage, are there any benefits or detriments to having a 15 or 20 watt as opposed to a 30 watt?

I will just be playing at home so I only need it to drown out my dogs howls. :shock:

I can get a new 15 for $90, or a 20 for $160 or a 30 for $230 at GC, USD.

I am looking on eBay and Kijiji for something as well, but just in case.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Good Morning Graham:

Watts also relate to, well, call it intensity or presence. Swanky hi-end, high-power stereo amps in the 100-200 watt range like the older Mark Levinson gear, sound 'different' in part due to engineering and in part due to something called presence or 'sound-stage'.

At the same volume setting, somewhat more watts ought to translate into a little 'meatier' output; more detail and musical interest.

However 15 watts is sufficient to annoy the dogs, neighbors, and anyone within 50 yards. If there is someone you need to annoy outside this range...

Besides, for doing "We Will Rock You" at the Leaf's home games during intermissions, there's always the PA system.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Okay, but what about the Raptors?

dklsplace

Reaction score
:x I just hate that the playoffs get no regular tv scheduling. Listening to the Wings/Flames game on my pc right now 'cause I don't have Fox sports, or Center Ice in my DirecTv subscription.

Bah!!!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Grahamster,

I've got a little Roland AC60 that sounds pretty good for around the house.
My answer to your question regarding wattage would be that generally speaking more wattage means less distortion at volume.

Again, generally speaking, if you took two amps of the same make and turned the one with less power way up, then compared it with one with twice the wattage turned halfway up, there would be less distortion in the sound coming out of the more powerful amp.

Tried to put that in layman's terms, that's all I know. :oops:

West

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
dklsplace said:
:x I just hate that the playoffs get no regular tv scheduling. Listening to the Wings/Flames game on my pc right now 'cause I don't have Fox sports, or Center Ice in my DirecTv subscription.

Bah!!!

That's another thing I love about Canopia. Every hockey game is televised from now until the end of the season.

On another note, what do you guys think of Pittsburgh's future? I think these kids learned quite a bit this year and while many think that parity in the league has put an end to the dynasty years ala Canadiens, Islanders, Oilers, I think Pitt has a shot at a (mini) dynasty not too far down the road. They were fun to watch. :)

dklsplace

Reaction score
It was, in fact, a Canadian website that I was listening to the game on last night.

Ok, for anyone in the know & back on topic...what's the diff between the current Roland Cube amps, & the first couple years production that was designated as "Blues Cubes"?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Not sure what the newer ones do, but...for the Blues Cube 30 (Discontinued) : http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... sCube/10/1

From one of the reviews:

"...12" Greenback clone speaker, two channels that work with a footswitch, one set of EQ for both channels and a presence knob. Master volume. Weighs about 35 pounds and comes in a beige tolex with a brown grillcloth.
Nice looking amp, sort of like the old tweed fender cabs. Discontinued by Roland. (DUMB decision, Roland.) There are few features beyond the basics, not even a reverb..."

Generally praised for its tone by 'players' and dissed by the 'modellers' for lack of knobs to turn.

See one here on eBay now: http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-BC-30-Blues- ... dZViewItem

Like the review said; reminiscent of a Fender.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Cube 30 just arrived. It's a very nice looking amp. I quickly plugged it in and goofed around just briefly and I now am able to separate the subleties between the neck PUP and the bridge PUP. The Crate amp I was using couldn't do it, or I did not have the settings set though I could hear the differences.

I still need to focus a few hours on just playing with it in it's various capacities. The wife has to work on Sunday so that sounds like a plan to me.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Sunday's Punch....

[IMG:247:320]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106/capnjuan/Graham02.jpg[/img]

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
igloo.jpg