nursing home set list

drowlins

Reaction score
This is for you guys who do nursing home gigs. I've been invited to play for an assisted living home in September, and was wondering what kind of set list would be appropriate for this setting. I do country rock, folk traditional country, some pop, and I'm always willing to learn more.
(my latest learnings are Lee shore by CS&N, and The ways of love by Neil Young).
Fast tempo? Slow? Or just go with my gut?
Any help would be appriciated- I'm hoping this is the start of a regular thing. I love to play, and I love an audiance. :lol:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hello Drowlins,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you on your question. I think I must have been in a similar situation last year, to which you now find yourself. My first nursing home and not a clue what to play.

The two people that I usually play the homes with are well versed in gospel and old county, I am not. That made me very uncomfortable. The thing is that the people you'll be playing for don't really care, they just love the fact that you're there and entertaining them. If you put yourself in their shoes, anything to break the boredom and monotany is so very appreciated.

I just play the stuff that I know and am comfortable playing. For instance, and I know it's a little ironic, but my 82 year young playing partner really likes to hear "Old Man" by Neil Young. I also hit them with a healthy dose of Jimmy Buffett, Alabama, Don Williams, some Cat Stevens, just whatever pops out.

You'll do just fine, just remember what their situation is and relax. They do like faster tempo type stuff, but I really don't know any. BTW, Dred suggested an all time favorite sometime back..."You Are My Sunshine" and he was right, they love it.

Good luck to you,
West

HoboKen

Reaction score
Wow!

I can't believe how many songs I do that it seems all of you do to!
To semi-quote ole' John (God Rest his soul), "Farm Out!" "Out of State!" and "Right-Arm!" .....I'm not too much a product of the 60's now am I?

I love to do:

Using the DV-72 of JF-30.....
Did She Mention My Name, Summer Wages, Four Strong Winds, For Bobbie (the original version), Pack Up Your Sorows, Wings of Dove, Angel From Montgomery, ESPN (Modern Man), Oreo Cookie Blues, Back Home Again, Road to Kingdom Come, Paradise, I Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound, Last Thing On My Mind, Thirsty Boots, & Go Rest High On That Mountain.

Using the JF-55-12......
The Highwayman (Ochs), Ira Hays, Kentucky Babe, & My own 12-String Guitar Playin' Bug Blues, Talkin' Candy-Bar Blues, Hot Time In the Old Town Tonight (John Hurt), Green-Green, and Green-Back Dollar.

Using the Mark IV.....
Classical Gas, Freight Train, Wild Mountain Tyme, & Black Velvet Band,

Using the DeArmond Starfire Special.......
Sea of Hearbreak, Twilight Time, Dream, Dream, & Devil Woman.

Using the Deering 6-String Boston Banjo.....
My Rambling Boy, Island In the Sun, Jamica Fairwell, Oh Sail Away, Dueling Banjos, Rev. Mr. Black, & Desert Pete.

Using the Paul Beard Dobro......
Jambalya, MY Baby's Gone, Teach Your Children, and the song duos of Gold Watch & Chain/Shackles and Chains and Tuplo Honey/Girl From the North Country....they work!

AND IN OLD GEEZER FASHION..........when I play with my folk trio, "Over and Out" we end the evening with..... laughing at one-self!

"Old Bag of Bones":

Ken's hands talk to him when its ready to rain,
He had his medication and is feeling no pain,
When he gets like this he just feels like talking
He took some shrapnel in Viet Nam
Sometimes his mind seems gone, gone, gone
You gotta watch him then, or he'll take off walking

Chorus:
Well this old bag of bones ain't really me
There's a a lot more standing here than what you see
My back is bending low, but my spirit's flying free
And this old bag of bones ain't really me

Jim lives each day like its his last
Time won't keep, it goes so fast
He tries to do the best that he can do
He says life's a tune you whistle in the dark
When you get it right, you get a little spark
And the sun comes up and it dawns on you

Chorus....

These old bags of bones ain't really us
There's a lot more standing here than some old crust
Our feet are bond below, but our spirits are star-dust
And these old bags of bones ain't really us......

And that old bag of bones ain't really you!

Thank you very much for listening to us!
That's Jim, he's "Over."
That's Ken, he's "Out!"
And I'm Ralph, and I'm both over the hill and out to pasture with both of 'em!

HoboKen

drowlins

Reaction score
Here's another question- do you bring any amplification? I have a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. with two channels, a mike (Shure) and a boom stand. However the only guitar with a pickup is a cheap Samick, although it does have a Fishman matrix preamp onboard. It doesn't sound half bad.
I have played al fresco in front of people and had no problen being heard, and I really want to bring my Guild.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
drowlins said:
Here's another question- do you bring any amplification? I have a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. with two channels, a mike (Shure) and a boom stand. However the only guitar with a pickup is a cheap Samick, although it does have a Fishman matrix preamp onboard. It doesn't sound half bad.
I have played al fresco in front of people and had no problen being heard, and I really want to bring my Guild.

I do them unamplified. They have been small groups, 20-30 people in rooms approximately 20 x 20. I don't have trouble being heard vocally, either, and the Guild fills a room that size just fine. These folks are usually a good audience and they pay attention, so it's not like you need a Marshall stack to reach the hearing aids over the crowd noise. A venue larger than that might benefit from your Acoustasonic Jr. very nicely, though - just for "presence". And maybe mike your voice and the guitar, or latch on a soundhole pickup in your Guild. But the other benefit of staying unplugged is that you get to work the room; amble around and flirt with all the ladies! 8)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
yeah, baby, groupie grandmas :D And in the Alzheimer's unit, they think we're cute all over again, every week 8)

Along with our regular old gospel stuff, last night we did "If I Were A Carpenter", "You Are My Sunshine", Red River Valley, "Grampa Was A Carpenter", and "Crazy". Even had a few songs with 3-part harmony last night. We now have a regular new memeber in the band, John, about 80 yrs. old, plays an old Hohner accordion, pretty well, too. His wife is in the Alzheimer's unit, and he's been picking her up and bringing her along to other places we play :D

We perform inside the Alzheimer's unit, largely because that's where we started singing at this facility. Now, people come from all over the facility to hear us & sing along, which is nice for the Alzheimers patients too because they get lots of visitors and people who can help them hold their songbooks, find the page, etc.

One old gentleman's daughter came up to me last night and said "I had to come see you, my dad brags you guys up so much! I tell you, you guys are the highlight of his week, he has his calendar circled for every date you guys are going to be here!"

I told her they're circled on my calendar too! :D

Back to the original question of this post: I think it ain't so much what you play as it is that you care enough to be there in the first place. Did that make any sense? :?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yes, it makes sense; you're a good man Drednut.

cj

Swearengen

Reaction score
You gotta play "Old Folks Boogie" by Little Feat. That'll knock 'em dead...uhhh, I mean, they'll love that one.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
swear: :lol:

I haven't sprung "Dixie Chicken" on 'em yet!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Nope, still can't bring myself to do Young's "Needle and the Damage Done" or Jackson Browne's "Cocaine" in front of them yet. :oops: Don't think I ever will. I have however played Buffett's "Margeritaville"(Sp?) for them several times, they love it.

You gotta keep in mind, they are just like we are......only more experienced. Some have lived sordid lives like some of us. Myself especially. Just cause they're in the home doesn't mean they were born with halos, they just seem like angels now. :) Mr. Waldron has told me stories of his old tonk playing days. Wow, to meet him you'd think.....no way! They really don't have to be treated like children.

West