No happy music today.

J45dale

Reaction score
Sorry guys for being down, but as a guy from S.W. Va. I'm just so sad.
Please remember the kids and their familys at Va. Tech.
There will be no music for us for a while.
:cry: Dale.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was saddened to hear the news this morning. We in SLC have just dealt with our own shootings in a local shopping mall just before Valentine's. My wife worked with the mother of one of the victims, and had met the young man at this years Xmas party. Our thoughts are with the families, students, and all Virginians... D

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
Dale,
I say this without hesitation, thoughts and prayers from all over the country, perhaps the world are with all affected by this idiodic act of violance.

Hang in there brother. Your care and concern reflects the good person you are. Hope ya find peace soon.

Reaction score
:( I was sitting at home yesterday a.m. before going to the store & saw this on CNN. I actually shed some tears & couldn't believe what I was seeing. My thoughts go out to all were touched by this horriffic event. We are living in a sick ass world IMHO. I'm spiritual in my own ways, but I believe an eye for an eye. If only a few of those poor students had been carrying a gun, maybe they could have stopped this maniac before it got that far.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I grew up in northern VA in the 1960s and had HS friends who went to Tech. In the late 1960s early 1970s, UVA and William and Mary found themselves unable to accept all the qualified Virginians and some percentage of out of state students.

The State adopted programs to upgrade the old RPI (Richmond Polytechnical Institute) and VPI (Virginia Polytechnical Institute) into Virginia Commonwealth University and, as it's known now, Virginia Tech. The state also developed George Mason University into a 1st class school and upgraded Mary Washington in Fredricksburg and James Madison to University status. My niece and nephew both considered Tech but went elsewhere.

Blacksburg is in SW Virginia; the largest nearby town is Roanoke where my wife grew up. Rolling hills giving way to the Appalachians to the west; hiking, hunting, canoeing, camping, and the finest tubeing in the east down the New River Gorge.

The older buildings at the school are veneered with VA 'Bluestone'; a blue/gray stone quarried locally in the Shenandoah Valley and used widely at schools, hospitals, and other institutional facilities; all the older buildings at James Madison in Harrisonburg to the north are bluestone.

'Back in the day', VPI had a Corps of Cadets; 1,100 or so ROTC candidates whose education was subsidized by the Govt to train future military officers. Although it seemed like a good idea at the time, the Cadets were routinely jeered by the other students; war was a crappy business to be in.

With its physical beauty and remoteness, VT/Blacksburg offered a sense of safety from the problems of urban life and intellectual and social stimulation instead of suburban alienation. What a tragic loss and yet another blow; more unwanted proof that collectively we can run, but we can not hide.

Jahn

Reaction score
lived a block away from Ground Zero here on 9/11 (now just live 2 blocks away) - and one of the ways to heal was visiting the site and just listening to the homeless guy just play his flute all day long, just whatever he felt like playing. he showed up about a month after 9/11, and he's still there.

music can be a comfort at these times, don't let that be taken away from you during times of trouble.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jahn, thanks for reminding us that we have the music to comfort us. I remember at the memorial service for the Oklahoma City bombing, someone did a beautiful rendition of "On Eagles Wings", just a guitar and a female soloist, it was just perfect for such a sad time.

Another song, one that I've done for many years, but the words kept echoing back to me after 9/11, is "Love Song" by Leslie Duncan, recorded by Elton John and Leslie Duncan on his Tumbleweed Connection album I believe.

It's too sad and outrageous to face without music...

hideglue

Reaction score
Senseless. At that age you have the world by the nuts. The mind really is a mystery, I guess.

HoboKen

Reaction score
AS MORE AND MORE HISTORY OF THIS SAD EVENT AT VT COMES OUT, IT JUST GETS SADDER AND SADDER. HE WAS A TROUBLED YOUNG MAN PUTTING FORTH HIS OWN CRYS FOR HELP I HEAR FROM SOME OF HIS PROFESSORS PRIOR TO HIS MELT-DOWN.

IT TAKES ME BACK AGIAN TO THE EDINBORO, PA KILLING OF A GREAT MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER SOME YEARS AGO NOW BY ONE OF HIS STUDENTS WHO CAME TO A SATURDAY EVENING MIDDLE SCHOOL DANCE AND SHOT FOLKS. MY FRIEND AND FELLOW EDINBORO UNIVERSITY GRAD JOHN GILLETTE WAS THAT MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER WHO TRIED TO STOP HIM. FOUR DIED THAT NIGHT. IT ONLY STOPPED WHEN THE OWNER OF THE RESTAURANT WHERE THE DANCE WAS HELD FETCHED A SHOT GUN FROM HIS OFFICE AND WENT OUTSIDE WHERE THE KID WAS RE-LOADING AND TOLD HIM TO PUT THE GUN DOWN, IT'S OVER, AND THANK GOD IT WAS. IT COULD HAVE BEEN 30-SOME FOLKS LIKE AT VT OTHERWISE.

IT WAS SO VERY SAD THEN AND SO VERY SAD NOW. ALL I CAN DO IS PLAY VINCE GILL'S "GO REST HIGH ON THAT MOUNTAIN" TONIGHT ON THE DV-72.

HOBOKEN

doc

Reaction score
Unfortunately, likewise knew people that attend VA Tech including friend's daughter that just graduated. It a loss for everyone including the shooter's family. Since this is the business that I am I will have to wait and see if he was being treated or what the story is on him. Obviously, many knew he was sick and needing help. However, it seems we perhaps we haven't found a way to connect them with the help they need. The law is very specific and doesn't provide a way to force them to treatment unless they actually make threats that include doable plan and realistic way to harm others. We use to watch people like that for an opportunity to hospitalize them and it could be very tricky and nerve racking while awaiting for the moment.

I remember once I was out with my nurse driving to a meeting and we saw one of our patients that had gotten released. We looked at each other and said, " Holy S....." because he was "crazy" dangerous. However, while on a drive to a meeting in another town a few days later we saw him on the hood of police car and we looked at each other and smiled. My nurse said, "Doc we will have his room ready for him when he comes in." Luckily no one had gotten hurt. However, as we can see the story always doesn't have a happy ending. :(

HoboKen

Reaction score
Doc,

As one who has taught psychology and has done psychological testing and profiles on inmates to help place them into vocational training and education programs within a state correctional facility, I watched in horror, a vidio clip on NBC news tonight that showed an extremely paranoid young man at VT.

You are so right about authorities not being able to fully help one who will not be helped without a "Doable plan and realistic way" about them and their intentions. I've discussed this issue with an old high school firend of mine who recently retired from the FBI as the Chief of the Child Abduction and Serial Killer Division of the FBI. He has personally dealt with the worst of the worst when it comes to a person's internal wiring going faulty.

It comes down to the freedom of the individual vs the public safety of the many in public law. Had he killed only one or two, it would have been news, but not as big news as it is with so many dead. The system gets it right for 9, 999 and nothing is said about how well the system works......
Even when the system works 99.9% of the way in trying to help an individual, but enters that tricky and nerve racking waiting period you mention, it can fail even in its good intent as has happened at VT.

Again I sit here playing "In The Arms of The Angels" on the DV-72 as part of my way to deal with what has happened at VT as it has in part happened to all of us in USA. In the face of the incomprehensable we only have faith that there is a reason known only to God as to why bad things happen to good people.

HoboKen

doc

Reaction score
Hoboken, I was the director of the mental health unit in the second largest Max in the US and worked with those headliners. Many of them the public will never meet as you mentioned because they didn't either kill many at a time or in such a public dramatic fashion. This tragedy in VA has send ripples out touching hundreds of other people including myself.

I found myself having to talk to a friend who was in utter shock this evening at all places a Guitar Center about his friend, a student at VA Tech, and apparently the only one in the classroom that wasn't shot. You know I been losing about 30 adolescent clients a year to murder over the last 6 years and this "S..." still doesn't go down any better. I even thought of going down to lend a hand with the trauma teams that are probably now on campus to work through the school population. Then I thought better of it as I need to take care of myself. However, this tragedy, you know "six degrees of separation" has reached out and touched me personally this evening in a place that I thought was pretty "safe" at a Guitar Center. Moral of story, you run, you can attempt to hide, there is just no absolute safety, anywhere. We are part of this whether we want it or not. :(

HoboKen

Reaction score
Doc,

I received an e-mail late yesterday from my luthier firend in Carlisle, PA.
Dave said my Westerly JF-30 was all done and I could stop by and pick her up. So on the way home this afternoon I stopped by david's house. David did a great job at putting MOP inlay bars down the fretboard for me.
He also showed me a NYC built Guild X Series jazz electric guitar he is restoring.

Anyway, as I pulled into Dave's driveway today I saw his son washing his car. The car had a "VT" plate on the front of it and I remembered that Dave's son was a Jr. in Engineering at VT. I asked him if he was on campus when it all happened and he said he was in the Engineering building as it happened. He still has that 1,000 yard stare about him. So we talked. He has till Sunday to make up his mind if he is going back to take finals or just take the grades he has now and stay home for the Summer.

Its going to take a long time for a lot of folks to deal with this situation within themselves.

HoboKen

doc

Reaction score
This will sound dramatic, however, it is probably an understatement, there are probably going to be 10's of thousands that will have vicarious PTSD from just watching and listening to the news. :(