What is meant by chorus?

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I have no idea about amps but I'm looking to get a jazz guitar this year sometime and I read things about some effects including chorus. Can someone explain this to me?

While we're at it, any recommends on a jazz amp? I hear good things about the Polytone Mini Brute II and the Roland Cube.

Thanks

zom-zom

Reaction score
Amps and electric guitar are things I know about, unlike D-25s. :)

Chorusing is a sort of doubling effect, that washy-swirly sound that was very popular in a lot of '80s guitar sounds. It can be nice used sparingly, or it can be horribly irritating. Chorus pedals can be bought used quite cheaply. Try before you buy, and if you do buy, don't use it on every song please..

Polytone amps, in my opinion, are poorly-made and don't sound that good. I'm not sure why they got a good rep in jazz. Roland Cube amps these days have built-in effects, "modeling" and other things that are unnecessary in amps.

For a good jazz amp, I'd go for an older Fender deluxe, twin-reverb, super-reverb or an old Ampeg Reverberocket II. I prefer the warmth of tube amps. They can be bought reasonably and last forever.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Can't offer anything on jazz amps but I second zom-zom's remark about vacuum tubes ('Valves' au Canada).

Their arguable lack of 'headroom' is, IMO, more than off-set by their warmth and, well, 'sweetness'; in fact qualities that are so well-regarded that on some better-made transistor amps, they include a switch to induce a 'tube' sound. Maybe, just maybe there's something to it.

cj