Cool Rockabilly Site

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Starchie,

Thanks for the tip. It's both entertaining and useful.

Just curious: Do you Guilders out there like strats for rockabilly? I don't. It's gotta be a hollerbody. And for caterwaul-western, it's gotta be a tele.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Actually, yes, I like strats for rockabilly - and teles, Les Pauls, Danelectros, etc....
Lots of rockabilly was played on solidbodies, Roland Janes from Billy Lee Riley's band comes to mind, James Burton of course, Carl Perkins, and the lead in Buddy Holly's "Blue Days, Black Nights" is a .....strat! Doesn't get much more "classic Rockabilly" than that, does it?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dang it, Walter. I was hopin' an X175er would see it my way.

Actually, a tele is good too. But when I hear Budy Holly play, I always wish it were on a hollowbody. What solid did Carl Perkins play?

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Carl Perkins played a Goldtop Les Paul with a Bigsby, a strat, and I think a tele too. Then again, throughout his career he must have played every brand out there, including Gibson and Epiphone hollowbodies.

I like hollowbodies for rockabilly too though, haha! I can just see if you make the analogy that rockabilly was the "heavy metal" or "alternative rock" of its day, the guys playing it would rather be seen with something "radical" for the time like a strat instead of a "grandpa guitar".

archiestone

Reaction score
Guild Total
"Lots of rockabilly was played on solidbodies"

-And let's not Cliff Gallup (Gene Vincent & the Bluecaps) on his Duo Jet w/ Dynasonics. You want sharp? That stuff'll outright cut you!

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Didn't he also play a 6120 or some other Gretsch hollowbody? Maybe he just played solids and I have geezer memories. But I do know for a fact that Harry Truman played an Epiphone on the Sun sessions.