New Guild Sighting -- John Prine in the Los Angeles Times

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
John Prine..Sweet Revenge. One of my all time favorite albums.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice story to read in the morning paper, thanks. Hello in There is probably my favorite John Prine song.

Criminy, Old John hasn't aged very well, Is it booze or cigarettes or just what is it makes you look not so well preserved. I gave up cigarettes two weeks ago, hope it isn't too late.

kentukblue

Reaction score
One reason hes looking rough is that surgery from throat cancer took a big part of his neck and part of out . If you notice they took the pic from his left side. He said that he really didnt even think he would be able to sing again but it seems like hes back up to speed. If anything its just added charecter to his voice...not that he needs any.

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
Certainly one of my favorites. I remember when one of my sons was about 8 or 9 and I was listening to "Illegal Smile". When my son heard the line, "went down a one way street, dead end" he looked at me and ask. "how did he get out dad?" I was lost for words but smiled that my son picked up on Johns lyrical genious.
Seeing John at Westbury Music Festival on Long Island, "Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessing" tour will always be a great memory.
I'll be looking forward to the release of this DVD. Thanks for the post.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
I gave up cigarettes two weeks ago, hope it isn't too late.

Never too late Jeff, good luck with that. I quit about 12 years ago now. You'll put on a few pounds, but you can always munch on a bag of carrots. :wink:

Before you know it you'll be cursing the smokers for smelling like an old ashtray. :(

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ditto what Graham said, Jeff. I went cold turkey in '85. Never too late.

No one has speculated on the Guild model John Prine is cradling in that photo. Jumbo body, fancy binding, satin finish, G-shield headstock - I don't recognize it right off. JF-(uh....)9000? :)

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No one has speculated on the Guild model John Prine is cradling in that photo

Not so, wise and observant one. I noticed straight away the guitar in the picture wasn't with a humble D 25.

kentukblue

Reaction score
Guildmark....no need to speculate....i got to hold that guitar and strum a big fat E on it. And I do have proof. Its a JF-100, i think from the mid 1990's. Its a beautiful guitar and the single reason i came to this sight the first time. Im gonna try and download the video from his little concert i taped where he played about 10 songs solo with nothing but his voice and his guild. My brothers helping me with it...im now just getting good at the picture posting.

[IMG:343:224]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/kentukblue/A-95guild_JF100_0.jpg[/img]

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Awesome, kentuckblue! Can't wait to see that!

Was there an earlier thread about this guitar here at LTG that I'm forgetting?
I know there was one about our favorite Prine songs that got very long.

Wonderful carving on the heel. And I love that binding. Was this work done in Nashville at the former Guild facility there .... the Custom Shop I think I've heard it called?

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
Awesome, kentuckblue! Can't wait to see that!

Was there an earlier thread about this guitar here at LTG that I'm forgetting?
I know there was one about our favorite Prine songs that got very long.

Yes there was Mark, I remeber Brody talking about that very guitar. What a thrill. :D

HoboKen

Reaction score
Yep!

Maple binding w/mop inlays, hand-carved neck heel, Cloud fretboard inlays, Multilayers and beveled edging on the headstock.......it's a JF-100!

As I sit here with my DV-72 playing and singing Paradise.........

HoboKen

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sam Stone, Souvineers, Bruised Orange, Hello In There, The Great Compromise, Paradise....on my play list :)

Kentuck, when I first joined, you mentioned getting to open for JP, did ya ever get the thread done? Did I miss it somewhere? Looking forward to reading it.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My old D-25 has grooves worn in the fingerboard where all the John Prine songs are. Been following him for over 35 years now. Saw him in concert last year with Leon Redbone of all people. Prine was phenomenal, even after the surgery.

Kentuckblue, I've got a frequent flyer ticket all ready to go. You let me know next time you're getting together with J P and I'll be there! :D

Some more of my favorites: Sam Stone, Far From Me, Donald and Lydia, Living in The Future, Souvenirs (live w/ John Goodman), Christmas in Prison, almost his whole new album, and one they love on the nursing home circuit "Grampa Was a Carpenter." :D

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
yeah, duh, not John Goodman :oops: I still have jet lag...

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not to wonder off JP or his Guild, and I don't have to tell any Prine fan or Goodman fan just how close the two were as friends. Here are links to 2 youtube post concerning Goodmans interview and song "Dying Cubs Fan Last Request". The interview is humbling, knowing the outcome, yet enlightening seeing his attitude, facing the enevitable. I wish he was playing a Guild in the song but he isn't. I was lucky enough to grab Goodmans first LP on e-bay bout 6 or 7 years ago and on the back of the cover, John talks about their first meeting. No doubt we would have several more classics if he was still with us.

The interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y5aP5bvVKo

The song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciczbU6I-J8

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
great stuff, iam, thanks!

Hey when are we gonna look up Mark Farner? He lives up there by you...

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
:D Not listed in the phone book and his web site doesn't have a direct e-mail address so if I bump into him at Glens supermarket, I'll be sure to invite him to LTG. :) I did send an invite to him through the fan club address but not sure he ever got it.

Glad ya enjoyed the Goodman links, they were touching. Man, the guy was brave with his health issues and just kept getting all he could out of life. I read somewhere that he actually wrote City of New Orleans while taking a train ride from New Orleans back to Chicago with his family.
I know the thread was about JP but in my opinion, you just can't talk about Prine without talking about Goodman too.

Still waiting to hear from kentuckblue and his adventures with JP. That video will definately be worth watching.....no pressure kentuck... :D