Goin' to Mexico

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, that's way cool. I guess I was ahead of the curve on that one, I sold my dad's old Winchester and used the $ to buy my DeArmond Starfire Special :D

One neat thing I was able to do in Mexico was to bring a bunch of sets of new strings compliments of my 2 friends that own music stores here in town. I was able to give out some sets of free strings to musicians I met down there, some in the churches and some just out in the marketplace. One guy almost cried he was so happy, his strings were all rusty and tied together. I helped him replace all six strings, then I gave him another fresh set. ( I figured if I didn't help him replace all the strings he'd only replace the broken ones one at a time)

Ahhh, international travel, what a great way to get perspective on how much we take for granted in our own lives...

john_kidder

Reaction score
drednut said:
One neat thing I was able to do in Mexico was to bring a bunch of sets of new strings compliments of my 2 friends that own music stores here in town. I was able to give out some sets of free strings to musicians I met down there, some in the churches and some just out in the marketplace. One guy almost cried he was so happy, his strings were all rusty and tied together.

Now there's a thought to deal with things like that that recent eBay listing for 100 sets of strings at $100 - doesn't make much sense for an individual, but we could sure make a lot of players a lot happier. If something like that comes around again, I'll solicit interest from the group to buy them, and one of us can volunteer to distribute them where they'll do the most good.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Sheesh!

A lot of groups (missionaries, dentests doctors, etc.) from Arizona go to Mexico to help out. And, of course, a lot of tourists from AZ go there. And they'll tell you that you this:

You MUST have car insurance, because whenever anybody gets in a wreck, you are presumed guilty.

Taking medicine with you is risky, and buying it there is really risky. Arizonans have spent weeks down there in the tank for drug trafficking because they bought some common medicine with a faulty prescription or some such.

If you drive in and forget about the gun or even just ammo in your trunk, you're screwed.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
First we had to deal with the Mexican Customs knuckleheads, then we had to deal with the US Customs goons coming back into the States :lol:

Life used to be so much simpler...