Guildguy.com

Kap'n

Reaction score
iamru02 said:
Hey Kap'n, upstate NY is some nice country, much like the south which most people don't realize

Yep. I like it a lot. It's very 'provincial' [a $0.25 word I learned when I left], in all of it's meanings, good and bad. Watertown, IIRC, is home to Fort Drum. Lots of our boys and girls depart from there to parts unknown. Best wishes for them.

But I digress. I agree, I think upstate NY has a lot in common, philisophically, with with the South. Obviously, there are differences, but there's a lot more in common than I think either area knows or admits.

Kap'n

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
:oops: Kap,

Bite your tongue................Upshur County? That's a whole 2 miles north of me. Where men are men and the animals run scared. Upshur County, where guys go to their family reunion to meet women. Where some women have teeth. Ooh, that's bad. Actually, we're looking at a house in Upshur county tomorrow. Upshur County is a beautiful place, just the recipients of some bad local jokes because it's the poot root (sweet potato) capital and loaded with pig farms. Great peaches too.

Freddy King, is from Upshur, as is Michelle. Whether you're from there, or not, I think most folks outside of the city could identify with these lyrics.

http://www.michelleshocked.com/chords_m ... ewater.htm

Strangely enough, I live <50 miles from Westerly.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Goodness gracious Kap, where'd you find that. That's all right down the road. Gladewater's claim to fame is the rodeo, and where one of the, if not THE largest man-hunt in Texas history culminated about 15 years ago with the capture of Jerry "The Animal" McFadden (caught in Big Sandy actually). Gilmer is the home of the "Yamboree", which is the famed :wink: sweet potato festival.

Interesting song Kap, thanks for posting.

West

Kap'n

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
:lol: Where are you gettin' this stuff?

West

Both of these songs are on the extended version of the album Short, Sharp, Shocked. A great album, produced by Pete Anderson, of Dwight Yokum fame. Pete plays awesome guitar all over it.

You can hear and purchase it here:

http://www.michelleshocked.com/detail_s ... eissue.htm

Two of my favorites on there are "Black Widow" and "The L&N."

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Kap,

Was all this done many years ago? I noticed that at the site you posted a link to, it stated that the sample stuff was "AM radio quality", but the CD had been redone.

When did she write and play all of this?

West

Kap'n

Reaction score
The music is from the mid 80's or so. She broke about the same time as Tracy Chapman, Suzanne Vega, etc., and was lumped in with the "New Women of Folk" tag.

She's still around, but has a lower profile in the press since she sued Mercuy Records for violations of the thirteenth amendment.

john_kidder

Reaction score
I cauht Michelle Shocked here at the Vancouver Folk Music Festival a fw years ago - thought she might be the upcoming American female equivalent of a Billy Bragg. Wonderful, she was.

dklsplace

Reaction score
john_kidder said:
thought she might be the upcoming American female equivalent of a Billy Bragg.

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.