Guildguy.com

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
Stumbled across this site while surfing. Thought some of you might like to check it out. There are some good articles, reprints from 20th Century Guitar Magazine. (Hans, I saw your name in the articles...your everywhere! :D )
I'll throw a little bias dig in for 20th Century Guitar Magazine. I had the great pleasure of meeting Jim and Larry Acunto, the publishers. They are good people and I was always more than willing to distribute posters for the Classic American Guitar Show, to the East End of Long Island, each year.
I hope this is a useful site to everone and my apologies if someone else has posted it. I looked and didn't find it.

http://www.guildguy.com/

Brrrrrrr, lake effect has arrived and now the big chill is coming, brrrrrrrrrr

dklsplace

Reaction score
Jay is a member here & the link is in his profile. He pops in occasionally. If you go to the member list, he's #25.

Speaking of 20th Century guit mag...check out Greg Gagliano's site, #9 on the member list. He has some great stuff there!

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
oooops! With a name like Guildguy, I should have known he was in the forum :? Nice site Jay....I enjoyed the articles and your Guilds!
Thanks for the heads up on Gregs page too Don, I skimmed through it real quick, nice suff....my list of Guild Links is growing... :D I'll give it a little more time after I shovel some white stuff....oh boy....

dklsplace

Reaction score
iamru02 said:
I'll give it a little more time after I shovel some white stuff....oh boy....

Yeah....fortunately, my neighbor with the blower on his tractor beat me to my driveway (I have a blade on mine), but I had to shovel my front walk before my guitar lessons showed up today. I'm sure I'll be back out tonight the way it's coming down here. And again tomorrow, & the next day....& the next... :?

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
You guys getting the lake effect off of Michigan right? Is that part of the lake shallow or deep?

Most of the lake effect we get winds up from the winds turning around a bit and coming in off of Lake Ontario. The stuff off of Huron usually gets used up befor eit gets this far and Buffalo gets a double wallop if it scoots across Erie as well.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
My gosh, I don't kmow how you guys handle that stuff. I've said it before though, I'll bet you have nice summers. I get cold just thinking about it. It's been hovering at a little above freezing here for a few days and I can't get warm. I am in it all day though.

West

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Fall is my favorite time, temps in the 15 - 20 C range really do it for me.

Above 20 it starts to get sticky here and I hate that. This time of year we're into the cooler stuff, but the clear days are absolutely beautiful to walk through the parks and by the lake.

I don't wish the winters over as much as I used to do, but I do wish the summers would hurry past. Give me October 12 months of the year. 8)

Kap'n

Reaction score
West R Lee, where about's are you? In the piney hills of Upshur county?

Sorry, just had a big Michelle Shocked flashback.

Lived in upstate NY most of my life, then moved to coastal CT. 10+ degrees warmer in winter, 10- degrees colder in summer. mmmmm.

Oh, and to get back to Jay P. He was into Guilds before being into Guilds was cool. If I was looking for a good one, I'd look there first.

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham, I'm pretty new to this part of the country, been here just little over a year now so I'm not sure what you mean about shallow and deep part of lake Michigan. I'm quite a bit further North than Don and I guess you could say I'm right on the shore, and I can stand on the porch/deck (whats the difference between a porch and a deck? Which side of the Mississippi your from? :) ) and gaze at Lake Charlevoix, a good size lake. The U.S. Coast Guard is here and port in Lake Charlevoix which allows passage to Michigan. Most of Lake Effect is carried a little further inland so they get it worse. "Most of the time"

West, it takes a little getting use to, especially for an Okie like me. Except for the time I spent on Eastern Long Island and a tour in Japan with the AF, I spent my whole life in the South. Oklahoma is my home, some military time spent in Mississippi, Texas (San Antonio), Oklahoma, and New Mexico. Believe it or not, it gets pretty warm here in the summer, not like where you are and back home, but creeps into the upper 90's at times. Not sure if it's because of the winters but there are a lot of Festivals in the summer. Cherry Fest, Apple Fest, Strawberry Fest, this Fest and that Fest :) . But they are very cool and usually bring in some well known performers and local talent as well. Of Course Bob Seeger is one of the native Michigan heros and, rightly so, a memorial to the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald each year. Local's who have met him personally, say he is another down to earth good guy.

Hey Kap'n, upstate NY is some nice country, much like the south which most people don't realize, I got to spend a couple weeks at Watertown, (AF National Guard summer camp at Ft Drum.) I must admit, playing Army for a Fly boy wasn't the most enjoyable experience of my life. It's funny how everyone associates New York with NYC. When I went home from Long Island to visit and people ask me where I was living, if I said New York, they would throw rocks, if I said Long Island, they would say, Oh, that sounds nice. :lol: And they said the war between the states was over, yea right! :lol: You can say CT now so you should be safe. 8) Jay P has a nice site and from what I saw, like you said, has been around for a very long time. Glad he's part of the group.

Don, I spent a little more time on Greg's page. Cudo's to him and all his achievments and with TCG Mag. I get it every month and probably have read some of his articles. His name just didn't click with me at first. One of my son's on Long Island is intercepting them for me and hasn't forwarded for a while and the rest of them are in storage. Great job with your site too Greg, if ya happen to read this tread.
Luckily the plows come through here so I only have a little bit of sidewalk to do. My wife's oldest son usually likes to do it when he gets home from school, I just got a jump start on it for him. Manual Labor (last I heard, he was President of Mexico :) ) helps to keep the cabin fever away.

I think I got back to everyone, thanks for the reply's. No matter how hard I try, my gift of gab takes over and well, the book follows. I'll work on shorter replys but don't coun't on it 8)

It's time to "Git the Guild Going"

dklsplace

Reaction score
I'm sure there's an actual description & distinction between the two, but I'm not going to take the time to look it up!

Graham, Lake Michigan is deeper nearer to shore than Lake Huron. I'd spend most of my vacation time on the water when I still had my big boat. 10 miles out on Lake MI & you're well over 200 feet. 10 miles out on Lake Huron (at least Saginaw Bay area) would have you in 90-100 feet depths.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The same ten miles out from Newport Harbor and you're in 300 feet of water only because the underwater mountains in the Catalina Channel rise up from 2800 feet to form a bank. Nice rock cod fishing on that bank this time of year.

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
actually, was just trying to be funny with the porch/deck thing but I did look it up. now I know... :D Has nothing to do with the Mississippi either but you can sit and play your Guild on both! :)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:oops: Kap,

Bite your tongue................Upshur County? That's a whole 2 miles north of me. Where men are men and the animals run scared. Upshur County, where guys go to their family reunion to meet women. Where some women have teeth. Ooh, that's bad. Actually, we're looking at a house in Upshur county tomorrow. Upshur County is a beautiful place, just the recipients of some bad local jokes because it's the poot root (sweet potato) capital and loaded with pig farms. Great peaches too.

Iam,

An Oakie ha? I've got a sister in Edmund. The eastern part of Oklahoma is God's country.

You must have been in the Air Force? The same sister that lives in Edmund lived in San Antonio. Wall to wall AF bases. What took you up north?

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
was just trying to be funny with the porch/deck thing but I did look it up. now I know... Has nothing to do with the Mississippi either but you can sit and play your Guild on both!

Would the difference be one gets wet when it rains?

iamru02

Reaction score
Guild Total
yup Jeff, that pretty much says it all, :D

West, I grew up just a little west of Tulsa, and I agree, the eastern part of Oklahoma, is the prettiest, Kiamichi Mts, Osage hills, foothills of the Ozarks.
My ex was from the Hamptons, Long Island, and when I seperated from the AF, we lived a year in Tulsa while I retrained into Heating and Airconditioning. Unemployment at that time was high no matter what your skill so we moved to the Island. She was from the local clan there, the working folks, not the rich and celebs that are out there.
Met my wife through music, (my Guild was responsible :) ) and we're here in Michigan where she is from. Our plans to migrate South are on hold but Michigan is a very beautiful state too. Parts of it remind me of the Tulsa area. Good places and good people no matter where ya go.

Don, :)
The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan has the longest porch in the world at some 660 feet in length.

I'll be careful about trying to be a clown in here, made me look up stuff and learn something.... :?

Oh yea Coastie, Verandah referrs to a railing, balustrade or balcony. And you can play your Guilds on it too!!!!!!

dklsplace

Reaction score
iamru02 said:
Don, :)
The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan has the longest porch in the world at some 660 feet in length.

I had a cousin & a couple friends working on the island several years back. I spent about a week with them one year & on a self tour through the Grand Hotel noticed the big screen TV's in the lounge areas play The Shining!