Hofner Violin Bass

SugarMountain

Reaction score
Hofner now have this Contemporary series, i think they are made in china
and they do a reissue of the macca violin bass

its about the price of a mexican p-bass and looks very cool, just like the originals, and the headstock is the best bit, looks great

anyway, has anyone had the good fortune of playing of these newens
or the old ones too..it appeals to me since im a guitarist and its short scale and i fancied a bass for recording, or just arsing about on

thoughts??

Squawk

Reaction score
Like many made in China guitars (with maybe GADs as the exception from what I read here), you can get a good one or a bad one. I had bought a Colorama when MF was clearing them for $129 and it was soooo bad, I returned it the next day. But I have heard people who have lucked out. So my advice is if you can'y try one., buy one where you can return it if you don't like it with no hassle.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Would it matter if she did ?

Interesting contest, but I'm not really well-informed about it.

Nice Pete Townshend line..........

"Meet the new boss; same as the old boss".

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
And the new boss might have the old boss's name.

I hope nobody's getting steamed because I poke fun at Hillary. I'll have to kick somebody else around. Gimme some ideas, folks. I need a scapegoat who isn't political.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a '64 500/2 Hofner Club Bass, and I love it to death. I think they look cooler than the violin basses too, and they get that same thunky, plunky 60s bass sound I dig so much. The short scale is great with lower string tension, easy to play, and very comfy and lightweight. Depending on the style of music you're playing, though, they're not as versatile as the tried and true Fenders or even a Starfire Bass. Still, I'd highly recommend one.

Have to agree with Squawk on this one. As with any cheaper models from any company, it's more or less hit or miss. On certain occasions, such as with Dearmond Guilds or late 80s/early 90s Japanese Fenders, there is more consistency. I would definitely try it out before you buy. Any local Hofner dealers close by?

If I could only afford one I'd have gone for a semi-hollow M-85!