American Idol, yeech.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Anyone been picking up on the American Idol auditions the last couple days.

I'll risk hurting someone's feeling but it's "Hedious" , gives me the creep's being in the same room. Don't any of these people have access to tape recorders.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Precisely the reason I've NEVER recorded myself, I'm afraid I'd never play again!

West

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I don't watch it much any more. It seems to be a circus for misfits. It's not at all what the premise was when it began.

A co-worker spent the holidays in New York City with relatives. They went out to The Stage Deli for lunch and one of the waitstaff told them how she had three times auditioned for American Idol. According to her, the "judges" on Idol were more interested in gimmicks, quirks and the absurd rather than talent.

While some of it is interesting to view, purley as a voyeuristic look into the life of a train wreck, and for a few quick laughs, you have to wonder how William Hung made it as far as he did, if this "show" was to be taken seriously at all. :D

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Don't any of these people have access to tape recorders.
That's exactly what I've often wondered, Jeff! I think most of these kids are living in some kind of fantasy world. Do you think it's significant that the show is not sponsored by a tape recorder, or video camera, or microphone company?

Graham said:
...you have to wonder how William Hung made it as far as he did, if this "show" was to be taken seriously at all.
Actually William Hung didn't make it far at all on "Idol" - he was nixed by the judges his first time out. He was mostly exploited by other producers who weren't ashamed to make fun of him. He just never got the joke. That guy is a civil engineer. Can anyone point out the bridges he helped design so I can avoid them, please? I kinda wish some psychologist would research those like Hung, who, even after they do hear themselves, think they sound as good as Reuben Studdard. I don't think I will ever understand that.

I really think it's important for Idol to show the numb nuts who believe they have talent. It might serve to make a few fantasizers have second thoughts and spare us all the pain. Admittedly, the show is exploiting the bad singers and nut cases, but the final products (winners) have not all been bad - Jennifer Hudson, who was only a finalist, just won a Golden Globe.

The people who should be shot, though, are the ones who encourage the William Hungs - relatives, friends, co-workers.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The people who should be shot

People who should be shot are the millions who watch along with the folks reading Al Gore's book like it was a lost book of the bible.

It'd all go away if everyone ignored it.

Uh oh, now I've gone & done it.