Suggestions for Case Cleaners

gilligan

Reaction score
Anyone out there concerned at all about keeping their cases looking pretty? I have a '78 for my 12-string, and a '76 for a dread is on the way. I know I could shine them up really nice with Armor All, buy I thought that stuff made things dry-up and crack after awhile. When I got my 212XL it had a strip of old masking tape along the bottom (end-pin area) from the guitar shop, which left that gummy adhesive behind. I used acetone (did I just hear someone gasp?) very very very sparingly, and delicately worked the adhesive off. But I noticed that it cleaned the area very nicely--all the dust in the textural cracks came out and everything. But I surely didn't want to scrub the whole case down with it.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

gilligan

john_kidder

Reaction score
Great call on the TSP (no laughter here). Of course - wish I'd thought of it. The Armorall is great after the real cleaning.

The practical tips from the members of this group just keep coming.

Anybody got one for the issue of musty smell inside some old cases?

gilligan

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

Where do I find this TSP, is it something that comes in a spray bottle--like Windex--or is it the 'find it as a powder and mix it with water' kind of thing?

John--I'd clean the lining/padding (what do you call the inside of a case, anyway?) really well with a vacuum, and then close the case for a couple of days with an open box of baking soda. They have boxes for the fridge that you just peel part of the side off and some kind of screen is there to hold the baking soda in, that way you don't have to take so much care to avoid a spill. Obviously, I wouldn't leave the guitar in there mainly because I have concerns about baking soda also pulling moisture out of the air. Isn't someone here a former chemical engineer or something like that?

I've had success with this procedure in the past.

gilligan

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The case fo my DC5 came tattered & duct taped. I wiped it down with Armorall a couple times & did little to improve appearance.

I peeled the duct tape off & used a rag slightly damp with plain old paint thinner to rub the sticky tape residue off & then wiped the entire exterior down with the same rag. Slightly damp not wet. Scrubbed the grime & dirt out of the texture in the fabric.

I scraped the old glue off the seam separations & reglued the loose edges and many of the fabric tears back in place with Elmer's woodworking glue. When it was all over I touched some of the scuffs up with a black felt tip & wiped it all down with Armorall. Looks 100% better.

Case interior is solid & needed nothing.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Tolex cases................Armor All! Makes 'em a little slick for a short time, but makes 'em look like new!

West

dklsplace

Reaction score
WD-40 is the best all purpose gunk remover I've found. Does wonders on tape residue in short order. Haven't tried it on anything like a case though.

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
Something I've used on all types of simulated leather, to spruce it up without the armor all shine, is Turtle Wax Emerald Series Leather Conditioner.

This stuff leaves the vinyl with a deepened color, a smooth finish, but not slick and nasty as armor all does. I even use it on the motorcycle seats.

It's a creme/wax type formula, and just plain pleasant to use, unlike armor all.

Me thinks most of the name brand "auto leather" conditioners are pretty much similar!