CBC TV. Corner Gas?

dklsplace

Reaction score
Ok you guys up there, tell me about this show. Came across the link tonight while surfing links from another site. Looks interesting....is it?

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
It's a couple of years old now. It's OK, it has some good Canadian comedy. Some folks compared it to Red Green, but I don't.

We have another just started this week, "Little Mosque on the Prairie". I like the premise, I think we should poke fun at everyone and anyone and drop the political correctness that has swept this planet.

Getting back to Corner Gas, give it a try for yourself, there might be a laugh or two.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Corner Gas is pretty corny, but I like it. Mind you, my brother-in-law Eric Peterson is a regular, so I have to. It's not on CBC, the (publicly owned) Canadian Broadcastiing Corporation, it's on CTV, the the (private) Canadian TeleVision network. CBC has Little Mosque on the Prairie, which is even cornier.

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I read an article about Little Mosque On The Prairie. I think they said it's written by a Canadian-born Muslim woman in Winnipeg. Made me wish we could get Canadian TV in my neighborhood. Is it going over well?

dklsplace

Reaction score
Graham said:
Getting back to Corner Gas, give it a try for yourself, there might be a laugh or two.

Would that I could! DirecTV doesn't offer Canadian broadcasting in this market. Red Green is on public television in the states.

My bad on the CBC/CTV thing. By the time I got 'round to posting about it, I couldn't recall & didn't bother to go back & look it up again.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
Is it going over well?

It just aired last week for the first time. My wife and I had it on. I think it is a very light hearted look at Muslim life as seen from this producer.

It has the potential, in my opinion, to be a funny show. The CBC is carrying it, which is our Government funded broadcaster. They have ordered 8 episodes from what I can gather and are waiting feedback from the viewers or from those that are offended by anything on the air.

I always maintain that you are your own censor board. What offends me may not offend you and I don't have the right to tell you that you can't watch. Ultimately ratings and advertisers will decide.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Graham said:
Oscar (Eric Peterson) is one of the funniest characters on Corner Gas

Eric is a wonderful actor. He starred in a couple of good series as well ("Street Legal" among them), has done some of the country's best stage work ("Billy Bishop Goes To War" is a classic, and on and on it goes. But, like most Canadian actors, he's stuck here with things like Corner Gas - lots of US TV is shot here but always with American leads for the home market, tons of US movies the same - Canadians end up working for scale, while the other folks take home all the money.

Canadians have been major forces in the US comedy and film markets for years - even before SCTV and Saturday Night Live - but they don't hardly get no respect atall if they stay in Canada. As they say in New York "Go big, or go home."