Northwest weather / Entertainment related

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Should anyone have the opportunity to see news coverage of this morning's weather & commute in Portland odds are you will be entertained. A local Teacher caught a particularly dicey spot on amteur video, it's a masterpiece, TV news has been playing it repeatedly.

Weather decided to drop it load of fun just as folks were hitting the highways for the morning drive to work. Several inches of wet soggy snow fell & was instantly packed to glaze by the traffic.

My Sis called early from Vancouver, Wa about 10:00, she works for the School dist & was home early, after the District belatedly called another "Snow Day" . The dist fleet of school busses left the yard on time, got caught a bit unprepared, they had a dozen buses stranded, each with a few kids from early on the routes. No one in any real danger, thank the lord for Cell phones.
[img:328:295]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/p68b9244939873a491a00eb97891c924b/eb0f7d37.jpg[/img] [img:320:280]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/p50ceacd4d16c42bb001957d216211370/eb0f6f44.jpg[/img] I 90, the Main East - West route from the Coast to the Interior closed Westbound because of multiple Semi tractor trailer rigs obstructing the route.

Some fun,

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Jeff,

I'm in the PDX area, and yeah it's a bit crazy. What's funny is that just a couple of weeks ago, we awoke to some frost on the ground, and the public schools were closed. I thought it a little bit of an overreaction. This time, however, it took them until just after 8:00am to close them. My kids were suited up and ready to go. Instead they got to play in the snow.

The Portland School Administration got a lot of grief over the first school closing, so I guess they were a bit more hesitant this time. We later found out that they determine closings according to the worst hit areas. Like Seattle, it's pretty diverse terrain around here, with some areas having steep roadways that get really icy. Some areas are really close to the Gorge which has its own unique weather patterns, and some of us are just in regualr suburban areas. Weather varies immensely, though and it's not uncommon for it to be a stormy downpour on one block, and sunny two blocks over.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hey, Ice on the trees here which is kinda rare. Lows in the low 20's tonight. More global warming. :wink: It's got to be George Bush's fault!

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: Well Bush caused Katrina ya know. It was a republican conspiracy. He's also behind global warming. Don't you listen to mainstream media Mark?

West

gilligan

Reaction score
Hey West,
It's funny how much we're all connected here at LTG without really even knowing eachother or having met--I thought of you this morning when I saw the weather and how the temps in Dallas and Houston were at the 30-ish degree. Our winter here in Philly has been balmy compared to what it should be, tomorrow we finally get down to highs in the mid 30's. Whatever the case, I'm just waiting for this season of forced-air heat to pass so I can let my Guild hang on the wall all day instead of being locked in its case with the Dampit.

gilligan

dklsplace

Reaction score
Had to scrape 1/4" of ice off my windshield & chip open the doors on my van yesterday. Took 30 minutes to actually leave the driveway from the time I started.

Today, the sun was shining, there was a beautiful bit of rainbow in the sky, & my local temp was 14 degrees F. :?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Burrrrrrrr!

How do you guys stand that stuff? I'll bet summers are nice though.

West