Lessons

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've never posted a promo for something, but somebody might be glad to get this, if only for the samples.
http://maildogmanager.com/page.html?p=0 ... N+P2ZYBRg=

Which leads me to wonder if y'all would be interested in a thread on lessons and instructional material. I might not be the only one who would like to hear from those of you who can actually perform (so to speak).

RussD

Reaction score
Guild Total
I, for one, would like to see a category for an exchange of information concerning lessons, theory, technique, etc. This forum is a very comfortable place, and being able to ask questions and exchange info in such a positive atmosphere would be terrific.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'm all for getting some lessons the way that Bing posted a little while back, but my concern is that they would be time consuming for someone to do. I think everyone comes here to browse and chat, nobody, but Don I guess, maybe some others have to work when they get here.

I think there would have to be something in it for the poster and the site, just my opinion.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Knowing there are more guitar instructors on this site than just me, I'm liking the idea. I teach mostly the very basic beginners, but have a couple students that I'd like to continue more advanced work with. I would certainly value the experience & input from others teaching at the higher levels.

As far as providing links to instructional sites, we need to make sure we aren't linking any copyrighted materials. That's my biggest issue!

dklsplace

Reaction score
I should re-phrase that. Providing a link to another public site isn't an issue. When photos or other content, such as a cut & paste of a section of text from another site is entered into a post here, things get sticky. Usually, there would be some fine print at the bottom of the main page indicating copyright, or reserved rights.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Then it might be easy for us to avoid copyright violation. If something's copyrighted, we could just link to a page and tell where on the page to find the item. Right?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I would certainly welcome any teaching aids that might be posted here. My playing can't get much more redundant, and if I could ad some twists it could only help me. Wouldn't know a thing about copywrite issues though.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: Sometimes I think that the same old songs are so ingrained in the muscle memory of my fingers, I am unteachable. I don't know that they can play anything else.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West said:
Sometimes I think that the same old songs are so ingrained in the muscle memory of my fingers, I am unteachable

No kidding Red Ryder,

Unfortunately the Jamman is telling me I'm not playing my old favorites nearly as well as I thought. Discussing lessons & related issues would be of interest to me.

Jamman has been a cool tool, it's like having the most patient jam buddy on the planet. It'll play the same 8, 12, 16 bars over & over again for days if you want & after a while you find & remember things. I have 5 or 6 primitive tracks & it'll store dozens.

Had an interesting half hour with Phil, my instructor today, his formal music background is fascinating. Today we started with him playing some of the simple progressions I know & have been practicing lately while I doodled around the scales & melodies I've been finding. He then explains technically why so much of it sucks.

Ended the session discussing Stevie Ray & Mark Knoffler, seems Stevie Ray is a master of Pentatonics & a pick, while Knoffler uses more intricate scales & fingerpicks. The more intricate scales need more than 3 note chords to work, Gm7, C 9, 11th, 13th & the like, who would'a known?
Should I ever decide I need a C 9 I now know how to count it out, it's easier if you can hear it. :oops:

New fingerings = mucho concentration & repetition & looking for tones with more than one finger is a concept not well connected to my hand eye reflex.