Lennon, Harrison, McCartney and Guilds

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
There are a few threads on this forum about the Beatles and Guilds - let me add to them. First, carson is correct about that photo of Paul playing a Guild. It can be found in a few places, the most recent in Guitar World Acoustic, Dec/Jan 2005, page 34 - an issue with Paul on the cover promoting his Epiphone Texan signature guitar. Hard to tell what kind of Guild it is. And I am assuming it was "borrowed" since in the book "Beatles Gear", it is not mentioned. And believe me, the book is very detailed!

Regarding the Starfire VII that was given to Lennon by Mark Dronge, there is a great story in "Beatles Gear" about that, with photos, etc. It seems John and George were at a press conference, and Dronge shows up with the guitar. George starts to get excited, but Dronge walks right by him and hands it to John! In one of the photos in the book, you can see George's face and he looks pissed! Dronge said later he thought it was John who played the 12 string, and he was sorry he made that mistake!

So, one wonders what might have been. If Dronge had done a little homework (didn't *everybody* know George played the 12 string!??) and given it to George, would he have used it on an album? As far as anyone knows, it was never used by any of the Beatles on any recording.

walrus

jerrymac

Reaction score
Hi Walrus,

Here's my 1967 SF-XII:

[img:418:525]http://home.earthlink.net/~jkmcleer/Guitars/guildSF12.jpg[/img]

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Jerry - wow! A beauty! Tell us more about how it sounds - can you get a nice acoustic-type sound out of it? Beatles-like jangle?

walrus

jerrymac

Reaction score
walrus said:
Jerry - wow! A beauty! Tell us more about how it sounds - can you get a nice acoustic-type sound out of it? Beatles-like jangle?

walrus

Yeah, I'd say so. It has the smaller 'buckers, and they do a pretty good job replicating that jingle-jangle (dare we say Ricky) sound. But at the same time, there's a fuller, warmer quality to the tone. I have a Rick v64, and I find the Guild more versatile, and IMO the neck is much more comfortable than the uber-narrow Rick neck.