Upgrade Transformer?

mojomike

Reaction score
I read an article a few months ago about upgrading the transformer on a tube amp to get a noticable improvement in sound from any tube amp. It's not cheap ($150.00 to $200.00) and I wonder if any one has tried this and were they happy with the result? The manufacturer they mentioned was Mercury Magnets. My main gig amp is a Peavey Classic 50 - 212 with a 412 cabinet for larger venues.

Thanks for any help. Mike

Kap'n

Reaction score
My two cents says that the Peavey isn't really worth the upgrade. You're less likely to notice a difference with a circuit like that. Of course, YMMV, etc.

mojomike

Reaction score
Thanks Kap'n. I was thinking the same thing. I would hope that good quality tube amps are good because they use decent componants. But if someone has done this and there was a noticable difference, heck I spend enough money on everything else, I might try it. I always use matched JJ Tubes. I do notice a difference over standard, cheaper tubes and is worth the extra money.

Mike

dklsplace

Reaction score
Kap'n said:
My two cents says that the Peavey isn't really worth the upgrade.

Phew....I'm glad you said it. I'm not a Peavey fan & have offended folks in the past.

Take the $200 you would spend on a new transformer, sell the Classic 50, then talk to one of our new members who has designed & built his own class A amps.

mojomike

Reaction score
I don't need a high end amp for my basement band, but I was thinking of upgrading to a Reverend or Mesa for the blues band that will be playing out starting in March. I would be interested in getting info on this amp. How do I get it? My experince with Peavy is that they are nearly indestructable and very reliable. I think their tube amps are ok. I don't like their Transtube stuff for Blues and Classic rock. That one will be headed to ebay soon.

Mike

dklsplace

Reaction score
mojomike said:
By the way, who is the new member who buids custom amps?

Screen name is LeBlaze. We emailed back & forth a couple times when he first joined, but he hasn't made a post yet.

There are others that tinker as well.

mojomike

Reaction score
Thanks for your idea, Capnjuan. I have been getting a lot of good input from a lot of people. I have been entertaining the idea of a custom built Class A amp. I am also duing an experiment on my Peavey Classic 50 tonight. The idea is to pull 2 of the 4 amplifier tubes (1 from each side) and set the speakers to 16 ohm from 8 ohm. The amp will then run at 25 watts and I can crank it up to get a better blues tone with out making anyone's ears bleed. A number of Classic 50 owners have done this with great success. I also ran into a blues player at a local club over the weekend who builds custom blues amps. Let me tell you, the sound blew me away. I am supposed to talk to him later this week to see if he would consider building me one and how much. Another option is the vintage amp idea that you suggest. That one is interesting me more and more. I am leaning away from the custom amp idea. The vintage amp, if I can locate one for a reasonible price, will also be a better investment than a custom built one that might be hard to sell if I decide to change sounds. Alas, the search for the perfect tone continues. Thanks again, I appreciate the suggestion and I will check out the reviews.

Mike

Kap'n

Reaction score
I've built and modified several (all, acutally) of my own amps, and I'd be happy to share what I know. Just don't ask me to build for you. :lol: