Nice Double Act: John Hiatt and Sonny Landreth.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeffery.

0600 Saturday, and time on my hands. Here we go...........

I should first point out that with less than 3 years guitar-playing under my belt, I don't rate myself as even "barely competent". But I'll pass on what I know, the best I can.

I guess by now, you've read the link and will be aware of the "difference " between a resonator and a Dobro.

Let's start with metal-bodied resonators.

These are most often played in open tunings, G and D being most common.
Now, the resonator needs to be "pressured" in order to work properly, and in standard tuning, string recommendation is 014, 018, 027, 039, 048, 058.

Open tune (G), and string tension drops, String recommendation is thus: 016, 018, 027, 039, 049, 059.

Consider now, that in order to "slide", and not ding the frets, you need to raise the action of the guitar.

So, heavy strings plus high action equals a guitar that's difficult to play "conventionally".

I know that folk do play metal-bodied resonators conventionally.
My guess is that they'd probably string with mediums and play in standard tuning, with low-ish action.

And of course, a metal-body is mothering heavy !

Now, I know zip about Dobros. I have a metal-body resonator 'cos that's the sound my heroes made.

My guess is that they'd be easier to play, because you could string them lighter ??
I should imagine that the above-mentioned heavy gauge strings would rip the top out of a Dobro.

They also have a different resonator / saddle system, and whether that means they don't require such high string tension, I don't know.

I'm sure there must be geezers here with far more knowledge than me who could flesh this one out.

And, by the way. Some of the old Nationals are fabulous works of art.
Bob Brozman is the National equivalent of our Hans, and a slidemeister par excellence !

http://www.bobbrozman.com/