Outstanding Acoustic Amps

Kap'n

Reaction score
Kap'n said:
I'm hoping to upgrade the speakers this year. I'm thinking of the new JBL MRX515s. They're light like the EONs, only more power handling and better specs.

Update - I'm upgrading to Turbosound. I got some negative comments from folks on the MRX series, and I've got a Turbosound connection, that can get me a screaming deal. :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Donnie,

I'd like to know how the Loudbox 600 sounds, the "Pro" I think.
All in all, would you give the one you played through a thumbs up or down?

West

dklsplace

Reaction score
Well Sir....I'm non-commital on that one now, not being able to play my own guitar through it, & knowing nothing about the 614. First impressions were good, but not quite $700 good. I'd like to try to Pro as well.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Very pretty, nice tone, pretty easy to play. But it just didn't feel right. :?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:) They are beautiful though aren't they? But then I think my wife's beagle is a beautiful dog, but I'd never take her duck hunting. She might be able to retrieve (not), but not near as well as a lab. :wink:

West

mojomike

Reaction score
Kap'n said:
It's been my experience that you're just way better off getting a decent preamp, and going straight into a PA.

Q: Does anybody make an acoustic guitar amp with a headphone jack? :D

Hey Kap'n. For what it's worth, the Roland KC 550 has multiple channels including XLR for mics and a headphone jack. I used to run my acoustics thru a Yamaha 660 PA and thought the sound was a little to bright, lacking fullness. I have the Roland 550 for my keyboard. The marketing blah blah also said that is also good for acoustic guitars. I tried it. And while it may not be the best out there, it is versatile and made my flat tops sound a lot richer than my Yamaha PA. The 150 or 180 watts (I forget) is plenty of powere for most venues.

Mike

Kap'n

Reaction score
Mojo Mike,

Like everything, I think it all depends on the components - pickup, and what the PA is. And of course, your ear and mood. I did my first acoustic gig in four years last Sunday, and I'm less than happy with my sound, even though I've gotten positive, unsolicited comments from a number of folks in the past.

Looks like I'm going to be shelling out for that K&K and a preamp shortly. Right after I replace those EONs, which are going in the next week.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fellas... Amps are unchartered territory for me, but I'd like to pick up something to play the D40 with. I'm not a performer like most of you guys, but I'd like to try it out for grins. Any recommendations for an inexpensive novice starter amp? Thanks...

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi West: I don't have any advice on PAs or pickups but suggest that maybe you don't have to look any farther than a mid-60s refurbed Guild Thunder 1 or Thunder 1 RVT (this isn't spam, the one in my sig isn't for sale).

According to Jay Pilzer, the circuit topology is these amps is very well-suited to acoustic guitars; the same thing but louder so people farther away can hear but with less distortion/grunge/overdrive at higher volume settings.

I don't know enough to offer on the microphone v. pickup discussion but assuming you want an amp and, however you do it, can get a signal into an electric hose, these amps with twin 6GW8s generate on the order of 15 watts, are adequate for smallish venues, and stay distortion-free pretty well up the volume curve.

Answering the question: "How do I throw my guitar's lovely voice?" would depend, in part, on how far you want to throw it and how much flexibility you want; arguably you get less with older gear.

I don't think any of the Thunder series amps will help you much when you play Shea Stadium but all of us here on the LTG BBoard will think you're pretty cool when your amp badge matches the logo on your headstock ... we might even buy tickets ... well maybe not ...

Regards,

Hhmm.... very interesting.

I've been thinking about acquiring an acoustic amp. and have a hankering for a valve amp. to do the job.

Do these amps. come up on Ebay very often, and at what kind of a price ?

dklsplace

Reaction score
Jeff said:
[img:450:338]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid217/p40904d841c3d2aec708e8ace78bf761c/ec57b453.jpg[/img] Then of course this Ultrasound is pretty nice too. Not sure I want to sell the Ultrasound.

I know Jeff is away fishing right now, but I'd like to get back to the Ultrasound. What model do you have Jeff, & any details you can offer?

Anyone else with Ultrasound experience?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Coastie; wasn't sure if you were referring to a Guild T 1 RVT or ferns; if the former, couple times a month....if the latter, I'm not that big on electric ferns but opinions differ.

regards, j

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Coastie; wasn't sure if you were referring to a Guild T 1 RVT or ferns; if the former, couple times a month....if the latter, I'm not that big on electric ferns but opinions differ.

regards, j

Oh, wow man. Electric Fern ! Haven't tried that, and they grow in super-abundance around here.

Kiwis refer to the ol' Cannabae Delectae as "Electric Puha" ( poo-ha ).

Puha's a green that's a stable in our native's cooking.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Kiwis refer to the ol' Cannabae Delectae as "Electric Puha" ( poo-ha ). Puha's a green that's a stable in our native's cooking.

As it should be, no doubt a good source of fiber...natives maintain a pretty good attitude, do they?

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
capnjuan said:
coastie99 said:
Kiwis refer to the ol' Cannabae Delectae as "Electric Puha" ( poo-ha ). Puha's a green that's a stable in our native's cooking.

As it should be, no doubt a good source of fiber...natives maintain a pretty good attitude, do they?

With that sort of roughage, a Kinda permanent crouching attitude I'd think :!:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yeah, they're always pictured with spears and sort of crouched as if they didn't want the wild animals (or wild ewes) to detect them, turns out, they were just crouched for ....you know.....those reasons.

I think they paint their faces so they can recognize each other at the supermarket.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Yeah, they're always pictured with spears and sort of crouched as if they didn't want the wild animals (or wild ewes) to detect them, turns out, they were just crouched for ....you know.....those reasons.

I think they paint their faces so they can recognize each other at the supermarket.

You're gonna have the NZ Gummint PC Nazis knocking on your door real soon !

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
That is the least of my concerns....what's more important is how you get a bar license with a name like Scrotal whatever.....

We have a similar cultural / sociological phenomenon; they are called rednecks......holes in the knees of their jeans, ballcaps from feed suppliers, missing three or more teeth...many named Skeeter or Gator...

I'll trade you three rednecks for a fresh ewe....

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cap'n.

How would you characterize the ECL86 sound ?

"English" - EL84, EL34.

"American". Seems more logical. 6L6, 6V6. 6550.

Or have we OD'd by now on Stolly's ?
I'm just having my first 3-fingers of Absolut, and Dr. Feelgood are blazing !