New Guy makes his intro..............

billbass1

Reaction score
New Jersey, USA...close to the old Hoboken factory
Hello everbody, found this wonderful site while surfing the web and asked Don if I could please join.
Thanks Don !
Funny thing is, I have been playing bass for over 40 years now and I just got my first Guild bass a few weeks ago.
I played a friends Starfire , about 35 years ago, and always remembere :D d what a joy it was.
Anyway, a nice 1967 Starfire I came up on ebay recently and I was the lucky winner.
I guess I am hooked now, cause just a few hours ago I purchased a 1974 JS II online.
I only saw a few photos of it, but she looks very nice.
I already have plans to put a set of Darkstars in it.
I love the tone on the Hagstrom PUP in my Starfire, so that is staying put.
Well, I guess thats my intro.
Happy to be here.............................Bill

billbass1

Reaction score
New Jersey, USA...close to the old Hoboken factory
Thanks John, here is an update on that JS II........
The owner of store called me this morning and told me someone, unknown, must have dropped the bass sometime yesterday cause they found a crack in the neck. Well, I told him I no longer wanted it now.
A few hours later he sends me a email with a lengthy and heartfelt apology.
I asked him how well of a repair they could do and what kind of price adjustment he could do.
He said it was going to take a couple of weeks for his repairman to do the repair.
Once the repair is complete he is going to get back to me with the info. :(
Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do ?

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the forum billbass! Lots of great folks and qualified info here.

If you really like the bass, I would take a look at it first before the repair was done to see how bad the damage is. I'm guessing it's at the headstock, where most cracks occur? If the two pieces still seat cleanly together, the repair is an easy affair. Often on cracks such as these, I've heard that the repair is often stronger afterwards and won't affect playability or sound quality at all. My guess is that the repair should cost around $250 max. It sure gives you a good bargaining chip.

I would also get the skinny on the repair person. If you really want the bass, take it to a repair person you fully trust, or better yet a skilled luthier. I've seen way too many hack jobs out there, with people going at it with everything from super glue to marine epoxy!

Otherwise, the JSII basses still pop up often enough. Much harder to find a clean Starfire bass.

Good luck!