Question for Hans.......

hideglue

Reaction score
I was just going back in LTG time and thought "This was a really cool thread"

But it appears Larry is now selling his '58?

rogersguy

Reaction score
hi Hideglue..........i go thru phases. I'm so fickle about this stuff. one day I'm selling, the next, its a no-go. i was just playing it and i gotta tell ya.I'm having second thoughts. i might sell the 62 that i have. anyway, I'm always into swapping, selling, yada, yada........... Larry

sixstring

Reaction score
Hello Hans, I am a new member and am tring to find out is thier a way to brake down a serial # from MY 1975 M-80CS to see if it was the !st.,100th.,or1000th. made. In this case from serialization I obtained GUILD produced 17,501 total Gutiars that year and mine was the 5,437th. My # is 118240 and I put a pix. up in SOLID & CHAMBERED. She was always special to me. But I would Love to Know More. As I am sure anyone would if thay had her.
thanks, sixstring

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
sixstring said:
Hello Hans, I am a new member and am tring to find out is thier a way to brake down a serial # from MY 1975 M-80CS to see if it was the !st.,100th.,or1000th. made. In this case from serialization I obtained GUILD produced 17,501 total Gutiars that year and mine was the 5,437th. My # is 118240

Hello sixstring,

Would love to help you but unfortunately you cannot draw any conclusions from the serial numbers during this particular period. I can do that for other periods but Guild didn't keep ( or didn't save) any records re. totals of specific models during the seventies.

Sorry about that!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

sixstring

Reaction score
Hello and Thanks for getting back to me. I was afraid that would be the answer. I was hopeing maby you had more info than I could find, But I feel real fortunate to own a guitar such as this. I've saw some real Beautyful Git Box's on this sight and yours. It has been vary exciteing for me to talk to the friendly & helpful people here.
Thanks again, sixstring
guildguitarm80cs013cb7.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
This is an interesting M80. I have owned three of these over the years. The two that I sold were black. However all of the 1970's era M80's I owned had the bridge stop located very close to the bridge. (i.e., close like a S300). This guitar has the bridge located far away from the bridge like the early M75 solidbody guitars. I suspect this is one of the first M80's produced.

M

sixstring

Reaction score
Thanks; that's an interesting observation. I figured from the serial # it should have been one of the first,and that would help confirm it :D I've been looking around and found a few authorized GUILD repair centers in my area, to put her back in top shape I played her a littel the other day and it was like driving a Caddy. I have to admit I don't know alot about Vintage Guitars and was afraid of hurting the value by having any work done.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
To further cloud the issue, here's my 1977 M-80; The tail piece looks closer to the bridge.

Hey Grot,

You're not clouding the issue! The tailpiece moved closer to the bridge around 1976 (page 159 of The Guild Guitar Book) so that all fits in with the example with serial # 118240 ( from 1975) and your guitar, with serial # 149917 ( from 1977).

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

sixstring

Reaction score
I guess we should all by Hans book, but then we wouldn't have any reason to ask him any Questions! HA! HA! HA! :lol:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
sixstring said:
I guess we should all by Hans book, but then we wouldn't have any reason to ask him any Questions! HA! HA! HA! :lol:
I've got the book, but it's at home, I'm at work, and I have yet to get it completely memorized!

sixstring

Reaction score
Well said dane; as I just found out in his last posting in the { Did M-80's come with floral carvings}, I was :? Well maby I still am on alot of things,but he straitened me out on that one. I have to say this forum and everyone I've talked to has been extreamly helpful & friendly. It's been a vary pleasing first time experience for me :D

sixstring

Reaction score
Wow all this info and a good chuckle too were have you guys been all my life. This has been more fun than tickeln' wy wife's nose when she is sleeping. :lol:

sixstring

Reaction score
Uppps I almost forgot this thread is QUESTIONS FOR HANS so I am somewhat worried about future value of my M-80 if I leave it to my children. Will haveing it repainted the origonal black hurt it. I would like to see it shine again but I don't want them to say it would have been worth twice as much if the idot would have left it alone, Ok I know they wouldn't say that outloud but I wouldn't wan't them to think it.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
"How to stop worrying and start living" by Dale Carnegie :wink: