Question for Hans.......

ave del noche

Reaction score
Hans -- your source is probably better...especially considering the seller wasn't even the owner at the time (he said his friend was).

Larry -- the guy had told me it was only one side as well, so your hunch agrees with what he told me, at least.

hideglue

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
... we do have a source here on the Forum who might be able to confirm this and he even might be able to tell who did the rebinding job. I believe he was there at the time!

Well, that guitar coulld very well have been at the shop during that time & I could very well have done the work - especially if it was an "ace job" ;>)

Unfortunatley, we were quite spoiled by the amount of Hoboken's that came in, so to rely on memory is just causing cerebral misfires.

And I kept even worse records than the factory itself.

Sorry

I can say that I never replaced entire back binding w/out replacing the heel-cap as well. The two usually went hand-in-hand.

I'll try to run it by a couple of others from the shop at that time...

rogersguy

Reaction score
hi Hideglue, yup....the heelcap was done also! could this be your work? larry

hideglue

Reaction score
Hey rogersguy, I searched around for some records that I did keep from around that time. A CE100D (Ser.# EF38_) needed new binding (& nut.) But that doesn't help.

What I didn't find on paper I may have found on film. My rack at the shop. No date printed on back of the pic but my sense is its a bit later than '98....

317100538_b632e548bc_o.jpg

Waddya think?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hideglue said:
Waddya think?

Yup, I remember that! Must be the guitar in question. Still haven't had a chance to check the date of my notes.

Hans

rogersguy

Reaction score
wow, that sure does look like the guitar, and i'll bet it is. hideglue, you did a great binding job. i wish you had done the front also, its shrunk a little bit. i had the guitar setup last night. its quite a player, and sounds beautiful. hans, let me know when you find those records. thanks to all,larry

dklsplace

Reaction score
Hans, Hideglue, speaking for myself, but I'm pretty sure everyone else would go along with this when I say.....

I love you man!!! 8)

rogersguy

Reaction score
i'll second that!! hey hans, i'll have the pic of the 57 x-175 this weekend, larry

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dklsplace said:
Hans, Hideglue, speaking for myself, but I'm pretty sure everyone else would go along with this when I say.....

I love you man!!! 8)

Hey......... I'm having a good time! Now if I only could make a living doing this kind of thing!

Hans

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
rogersguy said:
hans, let me know when you find those records. thanks to all,larry

Hi Larry,

Well, I checked and I found my original notes but I'm still not 100% sure.
In my earlier posting I said it must have been 1998 or 1999 but that was just from memory. I used the same notebook for 2 years in a row and now it looks like it must have been 1999 or 2000. If Hideglue remembers it as 'later than '98' then at least that coincides with my findings. At this point it doesn't really matter all that much.

Yes, send me the photos of the '57. Maybe we can trace a little bit of it's history as well.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

rogersguy

Reaction score
Hans, will do on the 57. i hope to take pics tomorrow. thanks again to you and hideglue for tracing some history on my x-175. what great guitars these Guilds are. lucky for us the rest of the guitar world hasnt caught on yet. larry

rogersguy

Reaction score
Hans, just sent you some pix of the 57 and my 58 x-175's, Larry

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
2 '50s Guild X-175s

rogersguy said:
Hans, just sent you some pix of the 57 and my 58 x-175's, Larry

Yup, here they are:

[img:454:567]http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/50sX175_1.jpg[/img][img:788:541]http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/50sX175_2.jpg[/img]

[img:787:536]http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/50sX175_3.jpg[/img]

hideglue

Reaction score
There are secondary colour (yellow) markings on that pickguard that match the picture from the shop. In particular a very distinct "dot" just above the bracket screw. Its a match.

Anyway, as Hans said, "At this point it doesn't really matter..."
But its still a bit of fun.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hideglue said:
There are secondary colour (yellow) markings on that pickguard that match the picture from the shop. In particular a very distinct "dot" just above the bracket screw. Its a match.

Anyway, as Hans said, "At this point it doesn't really matter..."
But its still a bit of fun.

Hey Hideglue,

It's definitely a match! The "At this point it doesn't really matter..." part was about the exact date that it was in the Guild Repair Dept.
What do you think...... 1999 or 2000?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

hideglue

Reaction score
Hans, I seem to remember your trips out were becoming a bit more frequent around late 2000(?). So I'm thinking then.....or quite possibly 2001! There's something about this picture that says that and I'm not quite sure what it is.....

317106197_64594cc3ec_b.jpg

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hideglue said:
Hans, I seem to remember your trips out were becoming a bit more frequent around late 2000(?). So I'm thinking then.....or quite possibly 2001! There's something about this picture that says that and I'm not quite sure what it is.....

Well, it was the year that I took this picture of Joanne with Mr. C. (as usual) joking behind her back.

Joanne.jpg

That's your workbench in the background isn't it?
I'll go for the year 2000.

Hans

hideglue

Reaction score
hansmoust said:
Well, it was the year that I took this picture of Joanne with Mr. C. (as usual) joking behind her back.

That's your workbench in the background isn't it?
I'll go for the year 2000.

Hans

Great picture! Yeah, thats my bench. And yes, that would be Mr. Clown being the wallflower he is.

Hans, you let Joanna hold that guitar!?!!

Oh well, I guess I've hijacked this thread long enough

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hideglue said:
Oh well, I guess I've hijacked this thread long enough

Quite sure the other readers have enjoyed the little sightseeing tour through this part of the factory, that usually was 'forbidden ground' for the more curious among Guild afficionados.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl