What's for dinner?

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
drednut said:
Here's my latest creation:

Blue cheese & crab stuffed baked jalapeno poppers. :shock: They actually went over real big.

Sounds great.

I went into a store one day where they had a fresh olive bar. They had cherry peppers stuffed with feta. They were pretty good. Anyway I went into another deli where there was also an olive bar but I didn't see any poppers at all so I asked.

The cherry peppers were still on my mind when I asked the "older" server if there were any cherry poppers around, she gave me the nastiest look, "We don't sell anything with that name" :shock:

Once I caught myself with the inference of what I said, I left. :oops:

Blue cheese and crab eh? How did you get there dred?

Graham

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham said:
Holiday Time = Let's Eat More :D

My wife is Ukranian so the Christmas Eve feast is, not traditional, but it's ours. We have cabbage rolls, perogy, marinated chicken and pork skewers and various smaller sides.

Graham

I discovered these when I was dating a Ukranian girl in Edmonton. I love them! A next door neighbor way back in my bachelor days used to pity me and deliver homemade perogy sometimes. I'd have asked her to marry me if she wasn't already 70. Not many Ukranian restaurants here behind the Orange Curtain, unfortunately. :cry:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I dunno Graham - they just sounded like they would go good together.

Never go to the grocery store when you have the munchies... :lol:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
At my age the munchies are a natural state, no need to be herbally induced :lol:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
At my age the munchies are a natural state, no need to be herbally induced :lol:

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
$3000 worth of Ducks!

My friend Bert just brought over 6 $500.00 ducks that I'm making for Christmas dinner. He figures the're worth $500 each, because his friend's duck ranch costs about $1 million a year to maintain and each year they shoot about 2,000 ducks.

Does anyone have a good orange sauce recipe????

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Wow, David! Duck! How cool is that! My mouth is watering remembering some great duck dinners. I don't have an orange "sauce" recipe, but one of the best dinners I ever had was prepared by a friend up in Oakland. He roasted the birds on a BBQ rotisserie using orange juice concentrate to baste them on the spit. Just let a big can of frozen ojc thaw out and slathered it on straight from the can while the ducks cook. Luscious! And absolutely delicious!

Sorry that doesn't help at all. :D
But thanks for spurring the memory!

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Sure just mix in a bit of soya, some chicken stock or white wine, sugar and reduce it until it's thick. Taste it, adjust as you see fit and brush it on. Add some Grand Marnier instead of sugar if you like. Just get it relatively thick so it doesn't run off and voila. Just watch that the glaze doesn't burn, or carmelize actually, too much.

Haven't had duck since the beginning of this year.

Graham

Dr Izza Plumber

Reaction score
Graham, Next time I go up to Buffalo, I'll have to invite You to a cook- out....and have You do the cooking! :lol: :lol: :lol: Bring Your axe too! :wink:

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guildmark and Coastie,

Those are great recipes. Have you ever tried it with raw fresh tomatoes? (Don't say it, Coastie). America's best tomatoes come from the area around my hometown of Sacramento (which is nicknamed Sack o' tomato). Almonds and walnuts are also abundant there (so that might be where your nuts came from, Coastie). Asparagus is plentifyu there, too. As kids, my brother and I stole about a box a week of asparagus from a produce truck that parked next door.

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham said:
Sure just mix in a bit of soya, some chicken stock or white wine, sugar and reduce it until it's thick. Taste it, adjust as you see fit and brush it on. Add some Grand Marnier instead of sugar if you like. Just get it relatively thick so it doesn't run off and voila. Just watch that the glaze doesn't burn, or carmelize actually, too much.

Haven't had duck since the beginning of this year.

Graham

used the Grand Marnier... great baste! I roasted the ducks in a Weber Kettle using the indirect method with applewood chips for smoke. For the sauce, we mixed equal parts orange marmalade, fresh OJ (from the trees in the back -- this IS Southern California), some soy sauce, hot sweet mustard (about a t-spoon), Grand Marnier and a touch of honey. You can put this on shoe leather and it would taste great!

Siwash

Reaction score
Dr. Izza Plumber

hey, I'll stop in at the Bayern Stube when I'm next down in Chambana. It looks great!

There's a place in Bradford, IL, the Kaiserhof, that's fantastic; north of Peoria kind of on the way to the Quad Cities. Really very good, really very authentic.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Hey we just breast 'em out, wrap 'em in bacon, put 'em on the smoker, and cover 'em in bbq rub and baste 'em with a concoction of honey, brown suger and Lea and Perrins. Soy sauce on 'em ain't bad either.

The man that taught me to cook wild game always said you could put enough stuff on a shoe tongue to make it taste good.

I'll bet Smithfield Fair has some great duck recipies. He lives in the heart of duck heaven. And Cajuns know how to do it. He's on the Mississippi river and just north of the rice fields.

Always served with rice! :D

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: Well I'm sorry you asked that. :wink: No kidding, I have a little cheap Brinkman water smoker and I just buy the hickory chips, soak them a while, put water in the pan between the fire and the meat, add 10 pounds of charcoal and start putting the damp chips on a handful at a time about every 45 minutes. About 3 1/2 to 4 hours for duck breasts.

Cost of Brinkman....$35
Cost of Kingsford charcoal....$7
Smoked duck.......priceless!

West

I do chicken, turkey, pork tenderloin, beef roast all the same way. Just keep heavier thicker meat on longer. With beef and pork, especially ribs, I usually wrap them in foil and let them smoke for about 3 1/2 hours in the foil, then remove the foil to allow the meat to sear just a tad...usually 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours...again, depending on the size of the meat. Salmon is good cooked this way too. Just put Lousiana Cajun seasoning instead of the baste and do it for a couple of hours. Worst thing you can do to fish is overcook it.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Now we're talking. We're getting into BBQ and such, soon the chili recipes will be flying.

I have my very own rib recipe, chili recipe and I'm not bound by the ways of the territory, ie, no meat, no beans, vinegar based sauce, tomato based sauce.

I make 'em the way I like 'em. As all of you guys do as well I'm sure.

Graham